Author Topic: A New 5cc Aero Diesel Engine Project  (Read 90402 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
A New 5cc Aero Diesel Engine Project
« on: January 20, 2013, 12:04:55 AM »
Hi There,
Since first registering on here last year I've found myself somewhat distracted from matters machining into another enjoyable modelling hobby namely a lengthy plastic model project. For those who may share the same interest I'll pop a couple of pics of the result on the 'Odd Ball' album a bit later.

About a couple of months or so ago I was contacted to see if I would write a build article on the 5cc 'Eta 15d' engines made previously. I agreed to do this and work has now begun on that in earnest now said model is finished. However when the Etas were made the possibilty of making the others in the series - the 15d Mk3, Eta Elite and Elite Mk2 was considered. The crankcase from the Mk3  onwards changed in that it had two protrusions front and rear to enable the fixing of a silencer and at the time the way in which that could be machined from solid was proving difficult to visualise. Thinking about  it sometime later it was realised that by having a separate part inset into the case that it could probably be achieved. Working on the article then I thought what better time than now to see if that will work so the last couple of days has seen a start on the drawings and hopefully a start on the machining will begin in the next few days.  I trust that what transpires over the coming weeks will be of interest to members ......

The initial layout drawing for the Mk3 was finished today..

....and from this a set of working drawings will  hopefully materialise,  that for the crankcase accomplished today too.

Back Soon - Ramon

« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 10:13:42 PM by Ramon »
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: A New 5cc Aero Diesel Engine Project
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 01:17:13 AM »
Hi Ramon glad to see you back, I will pulling up a chair on this one. I always learn something following you. Waiting with great interst.

Don

Offline metalmad

• Australia Skype - metalmad11
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 01:30:13 AM »
A new Ramon Engine
Excellent !!
Will be watching
Pete
A little bit every day, sometimes the same little bit

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 10:10:48 PM »
Well it took a bit longer than expected but there are now sets of drawings for all five versions which, it would be nice to say having checked them a dozen times, will hopefully have minimal errors and omissions if at all - hmmm ::). - No way, found two today :facepalm:

Machining began on the crankcases today and as usual an extra case is being done in case of mishaps which means four this time. If they all come out ok I may use the spare for a fourth but modified engine and maybe actually use it as it should be - that is however a big maybe

With regard to complexity these should not be much more challenging that the previous Mks1 and 2 cases but as you can see it has these very prominent protrusions which is going to make for some interesting set ups to get to the end result. As with the Mks 1&2 however some compromise will have to be made but it should be possible to arrive at a reasonable representation of the original

To give some idea this pic is an original die cast Mk1 and 2 case

And these two the Mk3 and Elite series.

The intention is to make the circular area above the bosses as a secondary part which should allow shaping of the bosses and the front/back of the case by milling - we'll see.

I don't feel a blow by blow machining account is apt as a lot of the images are destined for said article and as I don't want to pre-empt that too much I will just post as the various stages are reached - besides, there were plenty of images on the Tigre thread on HMEM - however if there are any questions on whats happening just fire away.

So on that note it all began like this .....
Four blocks of HE30 (6082) Aluminium each weighing 605 gms (the other blocks are for the front housings and backplates)

And after finally making the first swarf since the Tigres were finished the day ended with the initial blocking to size and the bore for the front housing and backplate finished.

The front part of the bore was opened up (this will be machined away at a later stage) and the bores proper were sized to the plug gauge made for the Mks 1&2 which will allow the drill jig to be used again.

Well there's a long way to go but that first step has been taken - just like to add that it's really nice to be able, at last, to post about something current. ;D

Hope you'll find something of interest and enjoy the journey in the coming weeks.

Regards - Ramon
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 08:18:21 PM by Ramon »

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 01:22:31 AM »
Ramon

If this is anything like the last one it will be a masterpiece!

I have pulled up the chair, grabbed a cold one and will be following along.

Dave

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 07:08:18 AM »
looking forward to this watching with interest.
 ;D
Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 11:21:21 AM »
Very interesting Ramon!  Can't wait to see more!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 08:39:56 PM »
Hi Guys , nice to see that 'one or two' of you are interested so I hope what transpires over the coming days/weeks is beneficial.

Not a great deal to report as yet but a decent couple of days machining saw the bores for the cylinders put in and the recess cut for the top plates.

Realised these top plates would need making before cutting the transfer passages so stopped to turn them up first so the passages could be cut with them bolted in situ.

Once again another small cutter was required and this worked really well plunging in sideways with ease despite the straight cut flutes. I know that some are a little wary in attempting cutter making so I post these following pics in the hope that they might help overcome any doubts. It really is quite a straight forward process and providing the cutter is not going to be used for long repetitive work in tougher steels will stand up well providing speed and feeds are kept low.

(For those who've seen it all before of course it's time to look away now ;))

After turning the profile on a piece of silver steel (drill rod) - 10.0mm dia and 25' angle - the teeth were gashed on the mill - five teeth to keep the tooth land small and the odd number to help prevent chatter.

Back on the lathe the teeth were inked up (felt tip)

Then the teeth backed off with a needle file

Parted off the cutter was reversed and held on its shank with a 4BA bolt and the teeth undercut before heat treatment

After H/T - which as usual for me on cutters like this, a nice bright red, quenched in oil, no tempering  - the teeth were sharpened on their edges only using a well worn diamond file

The cutter was a pleasure to use and the surface finish from it (no coolant or cutting fluid) on all sixteen passages was very acceptable

Roughing out of the main profile has just begun - there's a lot of swarf to make as yet though as most of that block is due to disappear ;D

As always hope that's of interest

Regards - Ramon

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 09:08:59 PM »
I just stumbled on this build. Everything looks great so far. Keep on posting and thanks for sharing.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 09:12:58 PM »
I've been watching Ramon.
(And you can tell by the number of views that many others are too.)
The pics of making the cutter are very interesting. I've not made any of my own cutters yet and always find these kinds of posts very helpful.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 09:59:28 PM »
Beautiful Ramon!   Keep it coming!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
A New 5cc Aero Diesel Engine Project
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 10:00:52 PM »
Hi Ramon,

Another one watching here, enjoying very much what he's seeing as well.

Cheers, Hugh.

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 10:07:04 PM »
Following along also Ramon.  I try not to miss any of your very instructive build posts.

Vince

Arbalest

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 03:20:36 PM »
Interesting build, love the toolmaking interlude as well! I'll be watching this one.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 09:30:45 PM »
Vince, Dave, Carl, Steve, Hugh, Stew et al, nice to hear of your interest and your kind comments.

Yesterday was a 'sailing' day - my wife and I have recently taken up R/C sailing and very relaxing it is too besides which it makes for a good break and gets me out of the workshop for at least one day :o  By eck it were a bit parky though so I disappeared in the warm for the entire day today - even doing a bit of overtime ;) the up shot being that the cases are now basically roughed out and the final shaping can begin. A few pics then to bring it up to date.

First up was to utilise the expanding mandrel made for the previous Eta's to act as a mounting spigot using a bolt and washer as opposed to expanding it. Reason for this is that due to the bore for the cylinder the mandrel is not gripping on its entire periphery. It will be okay for later ops when there is much less to come off but for roughing I considered this to be the safer bet

Another angle plate was brought into play to lend support and the lower case was roughed back to the mounting lugs. The lower face of the mounting lugs was then finished and the crankcase brought to width with a larger dia cutter

The case was then swung through 90' and the tops of the lugs finished and the case brought to width using a 1/2 cutter that had had the corners rounded off to put a radius in the top corner of the lug

It was then time to start reducing the weight. A thin piece was left upstanding to act as a 'foot' on the next op to shape out the exhaust boss

So after a good days handle wringing - no power feed I'm afraid - they look like this, a resemblance of a case beginning to materialise (BTW In case you're wondering about the felt pen colour - the top rings, though interchangeable, were colour coded to keep them to their respective machined part)

Won't get much chance to do anything tomorrow but with luck the final shaping  can start on Tuesday - "ah aagh Jim lad, break out the R/T"  ;)

Regards for now - Ramon

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal