Author Topic: A New 5cc Aero Diesel Engine Project  (Read 90397 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Re: A New 5cc Aero Diesel Engine Project
« Reply #225 on: December 19, 2013, 11:16:48 PM »
Hi Guys -

You may recall that at the start of this thread I said I'd been asked to write an article on the build of these engines.

I thought someone might like to know that it's recently been confirmed that it is due for publication in the Model Engineer from issue 4473 which I think will be the late January issue.
Apparently a short intro in that edition will followed by the start on the build proper in the next but one - possibly even a cover pic too :o.

It's been a while in coming but 'all things come to ....' springs to mind

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #226 on: December 20, 2013, 01:32:07 AM »
Congratulations on the publication being announced Ramon. It should make a nice cover picture too!!

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #227 on: December 20, 2013, 03:04:22 AM »
Congrats Ramon, it is well deserved. I look forward to some great reading.

Don

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #228 on: December 20, 2013, 07:26:20 AM »
 :ThumbsUp:

It will be nice for the readers of ME to see a few real model engines being built in their magazine for a change  :LittleDevil:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #229 on: December 20, 2013, 07:30:24 AM »
When I spoke with Diane at Sandown she said she was half way through proof reading  so I thought it would not be long, Look forward to reading it again.

There will also be a large version of the Mastiff to come later in the year and possibly a variation on the Nemett Bobcat/Jaguar.

J

Offline Graham Meek

« Reply #230 on: December 20, 2013, 08:30:53 AM »
Hi Ramon,

Congratulations, is it the same engine that has been shown on the modelengineeringwebsite? I looked at some of those set-ups before I looked at the authors name, it had Ramon stamped all over it and I was right.

If it is the same engine I shall have to look out for the ME magazine at the local newsagents,

My best regards
Gray

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #231 on: December 20, 2013, 09:03:37 AM »
'Morning 'Guys',

That's very pleasing to hear you're pleased too so I hope it lives up to your expectations.
When David Clarke (yes it goes back that far) asked me to do it I was concerned that it might seem repetitive following the one on the 'Racer's so we agreed that it might be better to cover it in more depth. Diane agreed when she took over that that should remain so that's hopefully what has been achieved. That said it's more or less the same ground as covered on here on other builds - you can only say so much about making these fascinating little devils.

Gray - how are you doing ? enjoying your retirement I hope  :ThumbsUp: -
No the engines on the 'modelengineeringwebsite'are the Super Tigres that were detailed on the - er, ahemm! - HMEM web site.
David Carpenter has been asking me to do something for his site for some time but it's never been the right moment. Recently he asked if he could use the Tigre detail from HMEM and rework it slightly himself. I was expecting him to present it as a 'one off' article and was surprised when it appeared as a build article especially right on top of this one coming out in ME - that's why he's agreed to put it on hold for the moment.

Thanks as always for your interest

Regards - Ramon

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #232 on: December 20, 2013, 10:12:50 AM »
Congratulations Ramon.  Unfortunately I am only subscribed to the MEW.

Vince

Offline Graham Meek

« Reply #233 on: December 20, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
Hi Ramon,

I am not doing too badly, how are you and Sue? Retirement is hectic I do wonder now how I ever went to work.

I did wonder why the article had stopped suddenly but all has becomes clear.

I shall still look out for your work in ME, I enjoyed your Anodising article a bit back in MEW, it is in my file for future reference.

My best regards
Gray,

Offline Neil-Lickfold

« Reply #234 on: January 09, 2019, 08:02:11 PM »
What a fascinating read. Thanks for the patience and documenting your engine build. For piston fits, if you incline the compound slide to 0.5 deg angle, every 0.1 mm is 1 micron per side movement.  If you move 0.05mm it will be 0.001mm on diameter movement. This is assuming that the sadle moves exactly as it should.  To aide in this, I added a continuous oiling pot that keeps the saddle/bed wet with slide way oil. It works very well for fitting F2C diesel pistons without lapping.
Neil

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #235 on: January 09, 2019, 09:43:47 PM »
Hi Neil and welcome to the forum. When you have a minute, please post an introduction in the " introduce yourself" section so that you can be welcomed by all

Bill

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #236 on: January 10, 2019, 08:49:49 AM »
Bill, apologies for this old post being resurrected - it came as a surprise to me too but it was partly my fault.

I've been engaged in conversation on another (model aircraft) forum over the timing aspects of a potential new 5cc diesel. Neil had PM'd to ask if I had covered previous builds  and I sent him the link to this one.

Though I hope he will, as he obviously has a lot to offer I can't say if he will continue to participate. My thanks to Neil however for taking the time to register to be able to post and for his comments.

I'm interested in what he is saying regarding piston machining/finishing and will raise this again in what I hope will be a new build in coming days.

Regards - Tug

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #237 on: January 10, 2019, 12:03:52 PM »
apologies for this old post being resurrected

No need to excuse Ramon - it is a great thread and it will stay that way as long as this site exists (along with many other threads here).

I knew about the use of the compound slide for those extremely fine increments, but would not have thought that it could be used for a cylinder in a CI engine ….

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #238 on: January 10, 2019, 12:12:15 PM »
Thanks Per  :ThumbsUp:

Yes I've been aware of the technique for many a year but it does raise some interesting questions for me in this specific application. I'm intending to start a new engine quite soon so will comment on this at the time - hopefully with Neil's input.

Regards - Tug

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #239 on: January 10, 2019, 12:29:32 PM »
I was also going to raise a question or three for Nick about it, but will wait for your new thread which I'm looking forward to.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal