Author Topic: A New 5cc Aero Diesel Engine Project  (Read 91594 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: A New 5cc Aero Diesel Engine Project
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2013, 11:29:37 PM »
Fine bit of whittling there Ramon!   I'm diggin it!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2013, 01:33:21 AM »
Dave,

Diggin sounds like what Ramon is going to be up to for the next short while. I hope he gets the garden in order because I'm really enjoying his beautiful work!

Dave

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2013, 01:46:32 AM »
Still enjoying your art here Ramon. I hope you get your gardening done pretty quick.

Don

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2013, 10:38:41 PM »
Hi Guys - good to hear from you  :)

Though I did spend mostof the day in the garden yesterday I did manage to get a couple of hours in the workshop before the Sun warmed things up :D

Those front faces of the Elites have raised portions where the bolts go so to mill them to the angle of the taper would require a couple of special cutters making.......

The satisfaction of making a cutter that works successfully never fails to satisfy - personally I find it a very rewarding part of what we do. It's not difficult and a skill well worth acquiring. Don't be put off if you've never tried, the first probably won't be that brilliant but every one after will improve, without a doubt. Apologies then for repeating this if you've seen it all before - hopefully however this will help someone somewhere.

First up then was to turn some 6mm silver steel to 5mm diameter for clearance and put on the relevant taper - 18 and 25 degrees. The end was drilled 1mm as these would be end cutting as well as on the side (the card was to help stop the camera focusing on the background). The flutes were milled with a 3mm cutter and the teeth backed off using a needle file

I like to hold the blank in the lathe for filing the teeth using the bull wheel for indexing to give better control over the angle

Backed off and the ends profiled and radiused

Heat treated - no tempering, the colour is from the heat treat, only the cutting ends are hardened - the teeth were touched up with a well worn diamond file to sharpen them

And a test cut made to check if they would cut - the rough edge on the R/H side is where the cutter was tried on the end before trying the side

First up was to remove the waste with a 3mm long series cutter then flare the taper in using the tapered cutter

Then cut the recesses

So far so good but now it's time for the fun part to begin  ;)

And here's the state of play this evening after cleaning up the corners near that protrusion and an initial smoothing. That protrusion still requires machining along with the outsides and the corners radiused and there's still the other two Elites to do the same as yet - it'll be a while yet then 

That protrusion actually serves no real purpose  ::) On the original Mks 1 to Mk 3 there was a degree of sub piston induction. The introduction of the silencer on the Mk3 saw this having an effect on performance so a 'solution' on the Elite was carried out by having a port  through on the underneath of the front housing picking up with a corresponding hole drilled in the crankshaft - just as for front induction but for the sole purpose of sub piston induction. Apparently this was not that successful and was dropped - the hole no longer drilled in the crankshaft but the front housing remained the same - I can only assume the hole was cast in. The Elite I was loaned for copying has this feature.

The workshop now has another layer of ali swarf not least from blowing it out of those deep pockets a day or so ago - I tried to contain it at first but just gave up in the end - Sue's really impressed with the little bits of glitter that keep appearing in the carpets  :). Those visitors who usually remark on how clean it is should see it now :o

Regards for now - Ramon

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2013, 07:49:04 AM »
Comming on well Ramon and looks like the weather forcast is for "workshop time"

J

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2013, 08:16:58 AM »
Morning Ramon,

It is nice to see you providing details of some toolmaking. I am guilty as I have had a cutter grinder for 15 years and have never really taken the time to learn how to properly use it  :shrug:.

I know the problem with the lure of the garden, it is so lovely at this time of the year with all the snowdrops/daffs coming out. It will only get worse with the joys of planting up the seed trays and watching them grow  ;D. I never find the spring very productive in the workshop.   

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2013, 08:31:31 AM »
Been catching up on your thread Ramon, must say it is very impressive

Steve

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2013, 12:28:12 PM »
Ah...it took me a couple of reads to understand 'backing off the teeth' but the photos say it all.
Thanks for that post. Very helpful.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2013, 01:33:47 PM »
Glad that's of some use Carl - I hoped repeating the showing of making of small cutters like these would be worth while for someone .

Jo, I had a Clarkson T&C for many years - I only ever used it the once to reduce a 12mm end mill in diameter. It just sat there gathering dust during my several year layoff from ME. I sold it on a few years back but recently was beginning to see that as a potential mistake given the revival of interest. However, my good friend Sid who passed on last year requested that I should be the 'guardian' of his Quorn.  So now I too have to find out 'how it works' - at the moment though it's just quicker to get out the needle files.

Looks like you're right Jason, one day of sunshine and we are back to good old East Anglian 'clag' (grey featureless sky) and a cold easterly wind - only one place to be then, and the greenhouse it aint ;D

Regards - Ramon

Edit - Ah, I meant to say Steve, hopefully at the end of this I shall have four engines but nine, all in one lump, now that's impressive :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 01:40:14 PM by Ramon »

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2013, 11:18:33 PM »
Hi 'Guys'

Well the crux of this build is well and truly over I'm pleased to say  ;D - All the case parts have come off successfully without any untoward mishaps this time so I definitely have the makings of four engines  :)

After milling the relief around three of the front housings....

....They were set up and the front bearing housing rough bored (this helps keep any stresses on the mandrel used later to finish turn them to a minimum)

Then the final milling op to mill the angles....

....Before turning a close fitting expanding mandrel....

....to hold them for finish boring the front bearing housing.

The main/rear bearing housing registers on the larger diameter - a nice slide fit with no shake - and pushed back tight onto the face. The expanding part is just .01 down on 10.00mm. A very light nip of the screw is all it takes to hold it sufficient to turn the .5mm left on diameter and rear face of the front bearing housing. This op is one that has to be done with as much precision as can possibly be achieved as the bores for the bearings need to be truly concentric and in the same plane. I have found that using this method provides the most consistent results to achieve this requirement within the limited equipment available.

That 'protrusion' was finish milled and the induction hole drilled part way through to replicate the original. As the crankshaft is not going to be drilled to suit it was felt there was no need to drill all the way through and risk possible air leakage.

The corners were radiused by hand filing and all parts given a final going over with fine 'scotchbrite' type abrasive materialand finally they are finished .....

Though they may look a bit 'polished' these parts will all get bead blasted at some stage which will provide that nice uniform matt surface to even everything out.

Cylinder heads, and prop drivers next which will see the end of the ali machining but I have to take a few days out at this stage to catch up on something else that requires attention before next week.  Back as soon as that's all fixed then.

Regards - Ramon

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2013, 12:21:59 AM »
Hi Ramon, just catching up on your build. I am grateful for showing how to make the cutters. The engines all look so professional and remarkably identical. I really hope one day I can achieve such professional looking models. Excellent work as usual and looking forward to your next post after your endeavors.

Don

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2013, 12:39:50 AM »
Very impressive Ramon. The family shot looks fantastic  :ThumbsUp:

Steve

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2013, 07:40:12 AM »
Fantastic work Ramon.

I have noticed that when making these small engines you never make one but more than one.  In this case you are making 4.  Do you do this just in case one is scrapped then you do not have to start again from scratch?

Vince

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2013, 08:12:48 AM »
My experience with aero engines is that their life expectancy is approximatley one flight and then I am picking up the pieces :Lol:, so best start prepared with a couple of spares  :ThumbsUp:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Swifty

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2013, 08:25:17 AM »
Superb work Ramon, your hand finishing is excellent.

Paul.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal