Author Topic: A New 5cc Aero Diesel Engine Project  (Read 90395 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: A New 5cc Aero Diesel Engine Project
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 03:17:30 AM »
Oh Wow! You have been making progress Ramon and great work as usual. I keep learning new tricks  ever time I follow one of your threads. Many thanks for the education.

Don

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 09:55:17 PM »
Hi Don, good to hear from you - hope you're getting plenty of shop time ;)

Well after an unplanned for interlude yesterday and the bitter icy blast coming from up north today there was only one place to be and it definitely wasn't sitting indoors :D

The R/T certainly earnt it's keep today and that top profile is now complete. There was one heart stopping moment early on when that treasured Long Series 4mm end mill that survived the Tigre build caught and gave a horrible graunchy 'crack' but luckily it suffered no harm and has lived to see another build.
A pic or 'two' to bring things up to date.....

Though unintended those feet left on proved ideal for clamping down to the R/T for bringing those bosses to width

The cylinder bolt holes were aligned with the spindle by using a 60 deg' pointed dowel (the bolt holes were recessed slightly so the point was aligning with a true circle)

After setting the stops on the R/T a witness cut to make sure everything was in the right place.

This was quite a time consuming op as each hole had to be set up and two cutters were used - a slot drill for roughing and that LS 4mm EM for finishing - sixteen set ups and 32 cutter changes - time to actually machine each station about 30% of the set up time ::) - but I was feeling a mite pleased when I could see it panning out as planned ....

The swarf pile gets bigger and it's all been cut dry. So far no cutter crowding or tooth build up - HE30 (6082) certainly is lovely material to machine

Well that's as of this evening - tomorrow sees the start on refining the rest of it.

Regards - Ramon

Regards - Ramon

« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:24:59 PM by Ramon »
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline ref1ection

• Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 06:37:41 PM »
First chance I've had to read this and as always the build is looking great and some tricks to be gleaned along the way.

Ray
Indecision... the key to flexibility!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 10:10:51 PM »
Hi guys - just a short update.

Looking at them tonight it seems little advance has been made but the amount of handle turning put in certainly belies their appearance.  Mainly rotary table work the 'awkward' bit has now been accomplished and theres about another four/five separate ops before the best bit begins - the fettling and polishing.

A couple of more pics .....

After milling away the feet and bringing the front and rear faces to within .5mm of finishing, the side 4 deg. draft angles were milled

The bolt holes were drilled using the jig made for the previous engines

Then the 'fun' bit - of milling that relief between top and lower sections.  2mm FC3 cutters were used which were not long enough to clear - first, the corner of the case then second, the protruding boss. Ground the shanks of two cutters back to clear - short one for the main milling, the second longer one, for milling underneath the boss. Cutters were ground off hand on the bench grinder. As it happens I have just inherited a very nicely made Quorn from my good friend Sid who died last year but unfortunately there was no means to hold the cutters - but collets are on their way ;)

What makes this op tedious is the small rib on each side between the top and lower sections otherwise it would be a simple matter of sailing right round to depth ::)

As said not looking that much different but this is them tonight along with said cutters - they do look a bit thin but no, fortunately no breakages  :D

Next up is to radius the lower edges of those top sections

Nice to hear from you Ray - I see quite a few are following too so as always hope this is of use or interest to someone

regards  - Ramon

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 10:49:50 PM »
Very interested in your technique, Ramon. I won't miss any of this.

--Tim

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 12:27:22 AM »
Thanks for the update Ramon, the crank cases are coming along nicely.

It's enjoyable to watch the progression on these beauties.

Dave

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 10:03:00 PM »
Hi Dave, Tim et al

It's been a tiring couple of days with once again seemingly little advance to show for the effort  ::) but I am on the home run  ;D

The engine mounting lugs are now shaped and drilled and those angles on the front top edge of the lower case were milled on.

This would give a reference for milling the angle at the sides but first the radii on the buttresses were tackled - well nearly - it was only after setting up for the next op I realised I'd missed one corner  :facepalm: so that'll be another RT set up.
I still had the cutter made for the Mk1 &2 so that was something gained and the milling went okay.

Once those rads were done the angles on the sides could be tackled but because of the compound angle theres no way of milling to the depth of the relief around that radius other than in steps. Due to the small cutter used even that's limited by the tool holder potentially hitting the mounting lugs so theres only one way and thats out with the needle files. I find it easier to do them one at a time - mill the angles then patiently file away the waste.

It is a mite tedious I guess but with care it has come out okay on the first two. Though the lower two look rather 'bitty' pre milling they are cleaning up well on the initial filing (top two) - theres a lot of fine finishing to do as yet though but that will be reasonably straightforward once this op is over. Each case is taking about an hour/hour and a half to file out as seen here.

I'm still hanging on to that last datum face on the bottom - it is still required for at least two of them - I guess those lower two angles will be the very last machining op.

That's all for tonight - like I said not much to show for the time but once these parts are done those backplates and front housings are next in line.

Regards - Ramon

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 07:30:47 AM »
They are comming on well Ramon, keep up the good work.

J

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2013, 11:06:50 PM »
Hi 'guys',

Well after a relaxing but frustrating days R/C sailing (no wind   ::)) I managed to finally wrap this first stage up this evening.

I really ought to admit now that when I started I did not hold out too much hope that these cases would be successful due to those exhaust bosses but 'pleased to tell' I can say I'm well chuffed with the result - they are much better than anticipated and have set me up mentally for the rest of the build.

I realised as I was filing away that if I could have held the rotary table at a 4degree angle I could probably have milled around the case instead of those steps - something to think about in future.

Heres a couple of pics of said filing, and as previously mentioned, a tedious part of the process but by relaxing into it and not trying to 'force' it to see the end result it's surprising how soon the metal disappears......

Milling as much away as those mounting lugs would allow

Initial attack made with a dental burr to remove a bit more. This is a 'dangerous' op as it is easy to scar the surrounding area where it would take a lot of filing to remove the witness

Most of this was filed away using just two needle files - a square one with one face ground off as a safe edge and the other a barret reduced at the end for 25mm or so to 3mm wide. Still quite a bit here to go though

Nearly there but still a small witness to get rid of

And finally as finished tonight

They weigh 56/7 grams each without the top plate so by my reckoning thats 2192 gms of swarf made over the last fortnight ;D.

They'll get another final going over with Scotchbrite and Garryflex block before they get bead blasted but that won't get done until the backplates and front housings are finished.

Hope thats whetted your appetite for the rest of it to come - I shall sleep tight tonight but tomorrow will finally have to get to grips with cleaning all that swarf up before starting again ;)

Regards - Ramon

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2013, 11:21:52 PM »
The cases look awesome. You have every right to be "chuffed".
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2013, 11:46:26 PM »
They really look production quality. Very nice.

And it had never occurred to me that I could make my own safety edge on a file. I ran into that a few weeks ago. Nice tip.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2013, 01:35:08 AM »
Beautiful Ramon,

Very nice attention to detail; that little rib was a bit of a problem to work around but in the end it came out perfect!

Dave

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2013, 01:37:20 AM »
Hi Ramon, I am really interested in the technique you use in making your engines. That is the one thing I try hard to grasp following a lot of these threads. You make things look so easy to do and I for one know it is not that easy. Putting time into a project like you do, I have no problem doing. Its to get the mind set to think things through and come up with a technique to do it. I hope with time I can get my mind set to think it through more easily. I thoroughly enjoy following your progress in hoping I can learn enough to get to that point. Thanks for you well documented thread.

Don

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2013, 08:07:54 AM »
The cases look awesome. You have every right to be "chuffed".

Wot Bubba said!!!!!!
Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2013, 12:26:10 PM »
Awesome Ramon.  :praise2: :NotWorthy:

Vince

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal