Author Topic: Arnold's take on the MEM Corliss  (Read 167278 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Arnold's take on the MEM Corliss
« Reply #480 on: July 31, 2014, 12:16:26 AM »
Arnold she sure is pretty! I have to say some nice work all around and my favorite color blue. Well a different shade but still blue. I like.......................... :praise2:

:popcorn:

Don

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #481 on: July 31, 2014, 06:38:47 AM »
Arnold, regarding those spacers you did on the crankshaft.

Without them, does the crankshaft move sideways during operation?  I thought that the connecting rod would hold the crankshaft in place but was not sure until you mentioned these spacers.

Vince

Offline BaronJ

• Grumpy Old Git !
« Reply #482 on: July 31, 2014, 08:01:34 PM »

Hi Arnold,

Sorry I missed replying to your comment, I was so in awe of the pictures of your fine work.

Ahhh - heat gun...  As a young lad I used to find old computer boards and desolder ICs from them in bunches - back then it was mostly 74-series TTL chips.  Never used it to solder circuits together though; it heats up the ICs and other components above specifications, so they're likely to be damaged.

I agree with your comment about heating some components above spec, however there are a lot of IC's and power devices that are specifically intended to be soldered down.  Power FET's are just one example.  The idea is to use the PCB as the heatsink.  If you get chance to look at a modern computer main board you will see that the CPU power supply circuit regulator power devices are soldered to the board.

But yes I have done the same trick to salvage components from circuit boards.

Best Regards:  Baron.

I don’t regret the things I’ve done, I regret the things I didn’t do when I had the chance.

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #483 on: August 01, 2014, 09:51:08 AM »
Thanks Roger, Bill, Don, Vince & Baron  :)

Vince, it could run without the spacers, but I found it does wander a bit from side-to-side.  The cut-out in the base I made is very close-fitting; if the flywheel moves laterally by just one mm, the edges of the flywheel rubs against the cut-out. The spacers prevents this.

Well, I turned down some more washers and mounted the outboard cylinder cover, and made the last pipe fitting:

My preliminary valve settings appeared to be spot-on; when I installed the fitting and hooked the engine up to the compressor, it immediately took off.  The backward stroke was slightly weak, and by adjusting the intake valve closest to the flywheel side, that was soon gone.  The back end valve covers took a bit of time; I'd left them rough and had to finish them off before mounting.

Suddenly the engine was done.  It only hit me when I started looking around for a way to take a couple of photos.  Just over a year and a half went by since I started this build.  It's by far the biggest engine I've built to date, and yet includes some of the smallest parts and screw threads I've ever used.  The flywheel rim pushed my old ML7 to her absolute limits, and by choice I practiced some (bad) silver soldering to try and skill up on that.  There was a foray into wood-working for the base, with some accessories built for my router, as well as some tools built to make some jobs easier (ER11 indexer, lathe backstops).  It's also the first engine out of my twenty-odd where I focused on using stainless steel for fasteners, and mild steel rather than aluminium for bits that got painted.  Oh, and trying to do proper paintwork was part of the fun! 

Many Many Thanks to everyone who joined in with comments, suggestions, positive criticism and compliments during the build, as well as to those who just checked in and kept quiet  :praise2:

A LOT of Thanks must also go to the design team - there was a lot of discussion during the design, and Bob did a great job of drawing up and changing the plans based on the team's input.  Here's to the Lady and Gents involved in the design  :cheers:  - I can now vouch that the engine's a great runner.

Some photos:

Had to add something for scale - a wee dram o' single malt from the Highlands seemed appropriate  :) :

:facepalm2: There's ice in it...  :paranoia:

The obligatory video:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhKA7ZdnF9s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhKA7ZdnF9s</a>

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #484 on: August 01, 2014, 10:23:06 AM »
 :pinkelephant:

Well done Arnold  8)

And well done Bob for putting together this design in the first place  :cheers:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #485 on: August 01, 2014, 11:19:50 AM »
Very nice model indeed and good to see it running at a sensible speed that allows all the works to be seen. :ThumbsUp:

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #486 on: August 01, 2014, 11:27:42 AM »
Very nice   :ThumbsUp:

Thanks for sharing

Rod

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #487 on: August 01, 2014, 12:42:31 PM »
Very nice there Arnold

But I must chastise you the only thing you should add to a single malt is more single malt :cheers:

Stuart

Ps try some Glenfarclas 105 full cask strength
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #488 on: August 01, 2014, 01:58:30 PM »
Just caught up with the last few pages Arnold - very nice work on that lovely little valve to 'top out' a what has turned out to be a superb build  :praise2:.

Like Don I love the colour and she runs as good as she looks, everything must be just right to be able to turn over so slowly. An ace job all round :ThumbsUp:

That knock is not quite 'out of place' either  ;) - the Hick Hargreaves Corliss that runs at Forncett clicks and clacks to such an extent it can be heard wherever you are in the museum.

Really Nice Work

Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #489 on: August 01, 2014, 04:07:27 PM »
Congratulations on a great runner Arnold!  :cartwheel:  You've done a suburb job on the corliss and it shows. :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Thanks for sharing the video and your whole build process with us!
Kim

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #490 on: August 01, 2014, 04:15:13 PM »
My hat is off to you Arnold.  Gorgeous model and a detailed build log which helped quite a bit.  Can't wait to finish mine and try to have something similar.

Vince

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #491 on: August 01, 2014, 04:39:50 PM »
That is nice  :cartwheel: great job Arnold

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #492 on: August 01, 2014, 05:15:37 PM »
 :whoohoo: Excellent! That's a fine engine, Arnold!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Simon

Offline RMO

• Rexburg, Idaho, USA
« Reply #493 on: August 01, 2014, 06:06:40 PM »
Inspiring!  Now I want to build one.  Maybe in the winter when the shop is not full of VW engines for other folks.

Mike

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #494 on: August 01, 2014, 06:30:28 PM »
Now, THAT'S an engine  :praise2:

Alan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal