Author Topic: Arnold's take on the MEM Corliss  (Read 167275 times)

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
Re: Arnold's take on the MEM Corliss
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2013, 01:56:14 AM »
Arnold a tip I picked up somewhere for soldering is to lay some talc (engineers?) chalk at the limit of where you want the solder to run and presto the solder stays in that area nice and neat. My gunsmithing mate got his from Brownells a few years ago when owning guns (hunting ) wasn't the bad thing it is now due to ........no don't wan't to be told off  :Lol: but the trick is good
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2013, 03:10:07 AM »
Think of the bright side Arnold, you could have done that joint with true silver solder,......now THAT would have been a real pig to have to straighten out. I'm liking your progress so far.I don't know how many times I've stared at these drawings and machines the pieces in my head. Perhaps one day I will get off my bum and do something about it. Always a pleasure to watch you work as usual.  :ThumbsUp:

BC1
Jim

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2013, 03:51:02 AM »
Great stuff Arnold,  :praise2:

As Jim said, Glad it wasn't hard solder or braze or TIG etc. That may give rise to a bit of drill the bolt holes after joining.

Best Regards
Bob

Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2013, 07:21:09 AM »
Good save Arnold from that boo-boo.

Correct me if I am wrong.  So that cylinder with the two slots is called the crosshead?  What is it's purpose?

Vince

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2013, 07:25:41 AM »
Good save Arnold from that boo-boo.

Correct me if I am wrong.  So that cylinder with the two slots is called the crosshead?  What is it's purpose?

Vince

Actually, it is the crosshead guide, it's purpose is to guide the end of the piston rod in a straight line. The crosshead proper is the bit that couples the piston rod and connecting rod together and works inside the guide
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2013, 07:53:13 AM »
Going well Arnold  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Nice use of solft solder, I forget  :facepalm: just how good a soft soldered joint can be.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2013, 07:59:44 AM »
Is the soft solder going to be strong enough?  :noidea: It is easy to clean off, a rotary wire brush will make short work of cleaning it up. :ThumbsUp:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2013, 09:24:22 PM »
Thanks All  :praise2:

Don, yes, I'll blame it on a bit of a hurry - seeing as I'm one of the younger members I can't claim a "senior moment" - yet...

"Zeepitis" - Carl, perish the thought.  It's intrinsic to model engineering, so most of us have it anyway.  I could just have kept quiet and most likely nobody would have noticed, but maybe someone learns a lesson from the booboo  ;)  I know how you're feeling about not getting to the shop...  But a little life-lesson I've learned is that I make a little "my" time once a week.  That may sound selfish, but it's not intended to be.  It's just that it gives me a chance to maintain another perspective on things, and I've found that this helps me cope better with all kinds of other happenings life throws at me.  I'm most definitely not whining - in fact, right now I have the best job I've had in all of my career.  It takes a lot of work to meet and try and exceed the standards expected.  Not necessarily those of my bosses and clients, but to my own personal standards.  And I'm my own worst critic  ;)

Great tip on the chalk line Pete  :ThumbsUp: - I just got a bit carried away with the flux brush on this one  :Lol: ; fortunately its easy to clean up.

Jim & Bob, yes, I'm really glad that wasn't silver solder  :-X .  Jim, if you get started now, you might just beat the cross-continental postal service  ;)

Vince, what Tel said.  It's one of the engineering terms that's rather unique to steam engines; I don't know of any IC engines that use crossheads and crosshead guides, but there just may be some out there.

Cheers, Stew - I like to use soft solder where it would work.  Less heat involved, so less chance of parts warping, and actually pretty cheap as well.  A roll of solder goes a long way; the two rolls I have I've had since my student days 18+ years ago, and they're still more than half full.  Or as an engineer might put it, the spools were too big  :LittleDevil:

Jo, in this application the soft solder is more than strong enough.  The crosshead guide should never see any significant forces applied to it.  That's why Tel's solution with Loctite is just as good.  In fact, the crosshead guide will be supported in a hole in the frame on the outer end.  If one was to use a grub screw to secure it there, a permanent joint would not even be necessary (much like the way Stew's Potty Popcorn engine's crosshead guide is mounted). 
The only reason I wanted the stronger joint was so I could mount up the crosshead guide to machine the last bit off the flange.
 ;D Yes, a wire-brush takes away excess soft solder quickly - so does a bit of green Scotch-Brite  :ThumbsUp: .  Tends to clog up files really quickly, but if started with a well-oiled file pulled back through a well oiled (close to soaking) rag after each stroke, that works well too to clean out the cuttings.

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

fcheslop

« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2013, 10:16:54 PM »
Hi Arnold,Tipex correcting fluid also works as a resist when soldering even for hard soldering
She is looking nice
best wishes
frazer

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2013, 12:16:49 AM »
"Zeepitis" - Carl, perish the thought.  It's intrinsic to model engineering, so most of us have it anyway.

Hear that everyone? Most of you have 'zeepitis'.  :facepalm2: Sorry about that.
I suspect it's just another name for that which ails us sometimes.
Arnold-itis
Dave-itis
Eric-itis
Jo-itis
Bill-itis
Don't mean to leave anyone out. You all get it from time to time.
Except for Marv-itis.

Arnold...I know you know I'm just having a poke at you.

Your threads are educational, inspiring, and entertaining. So try and increase that bit of 'my' time you have.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2013, 12:35:43 AM »
Don't mean to leave anyone out. You all get it from time to time.
Except for Marv-itis.

I'm curious.  Just what symptoms would characterize the dreaded Marv-itis.  Perhaps a sudden outburst of optimism* or good will?  (Believe me, if you think I'm bad now, wait until you see me cheery.)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M</a>
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2013, 12:54:53 AM »
I don't know of any IC engines that use crossheads and crosshead guides, but there just may be some out there.

Large Direct Drive Marine Diesels use a Xhead and Guide, they also fire on both strokes (up as well as down). Max rpm 140, min rpm 25. The worlds largest is 14 cyl 90,000 hp and the crankshaft weighs 300 tons!!!

Best Regards
Bob

Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2013, 01:27:03 AM »
And don't forget the marvelous Mery 6 stroke cycle engine shown here

http://www.martinmodel.com/MMPengines-subfiles/engines-mery.html

And here is a picture guy scraping the cross head guide and one of a couple of guys checking the fit of the cross head shoe at Doxford (opposed piston 2 stroke diesel)

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides/images/a/a4/Handscrapingcrosshead.jpg
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides/images/9/91/Tryingcrossheadshoe.jpg

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2013, 01:29:54 AM »
Nice progress Arnold. Cant wait to see one or these running.  I will be staying with the Wright engine, but have to order some materials as funds allow. I'l let them age a while...lol.  Now if i can shed some work load and get into the shop more.

Bill

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2013, 06:58:10 AM »
I'm curious.  Just what symptoms would characterize the dreaded Marv-itis. 

You break out in a rash of numbers?
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal