Author Topic: Arnold's take on the MEM Corliss  (Read 169076 times)

Offline ReFlad

Re: Arnold's take on the MEM Corliss
« Reply #360 on: October 18, 2013, 03:03:22 AM »
You haven't lost your talent Arnold.  Nice work!

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #361 on: October 19, 2013, 11:36:24 PM »
Thanks All  :)

Jerry raises a couple of very important points, especially the ones about friction.  For all intents and purposes, I don't need the O-rings; in fact, I initially planned to go without them.  From the first run of the engine, it was quite clear that there was very little blow-by past the valves, and the use of a thick lubricating oil on them will help reduce that to practically zero.
If the O-rings give me problems, I'll replace them with PTFE tape - that's what I'm using on the piston rod gland.  Graphite string would be better, but that's unobtainium in Namibia; I'll get some from overseas at some point.  The advantage of the tape/string is that one can add or take away bits to make things work better.

Anyway, for Vince and others' benefit - If you do make the valves a close but free-running fit in very smooth bores, you pretty much don't need packing of any kind for the valve bonnets, nor the

Oh, and I shudder at the thought of trying a fiddle...  I'm pretty sure it'll sound like someone trying to play the bagpipes  :Lol:

I had a job to do at a client's site this morning.  After a pretty hectic week at work, where nothing turned out to be quick or easy, I expected this one to follow suit, but, amazingly, it turned into a fairly quick and easy job.  So I had the opportunity of a bit of unexpected shop time.  With all the engine parts (except for fasteners) made, I disassembled everything - well mostly.  In keeping with trying to work a bit tidier, I salvaged an old cutlery tray from the kitchen to keep the parts together.  I kept all the bits that needs painting separate:

The one part out of place in the photo above is the valve disk...  I was trying to decide on whether to re-make it, or try and tidy up this one a bit and use it as-is.  Well, as you all know, I'm lazy and I quite like the thinner middle appearance on it, so I decided to keep it.  After some careful filing it looks a bit more presentable.  I forgot to take a photo of it, so I'll do that for the next post.

With the time that's elapsed since this build began, most of the steel parts have developed a light layer of surface rust.  Either I should have been more careful about oiling them up, or I should have painted them as I built them - at least with primer.  As I did neither, there was a bit of elbow grease required, so I started rubbing off the rust with a bit of Scotch-Brite (the fairly coarse green one sold as house-hold pot scourers locally) - to get rid of the rust, as well as to provide a key for the primer:

Next up was an impromptu spray booth.  I cobbled together a make-shift structure with odds 'n ends...  Two square tubing side-frames I had floating around (those were originally made ten years ago and were to be part of a removable bottom for Shrek's cage), some rectangular PVC trunking I had left over from installing telephone cabling in my house when I moved in, all tied together with electrical insulation tape and covered with split apart plastic refuse bags - with some old newspaper as a bottom.  Not pretty, but functional:

I mentioned in the last post that I bought a new spray gun.  It's nothing fancy; a cheap & cheerful Asian made one (cost about US$ 35), but on the surface of things, it appears acceptably made and all the adjustment screws and trigger operate fairly smoothly.  I do have another spray gun, but it has a 1l cup at the bottom, and for trying to spray models, it's much too big.  The bottom cup leaves nearly enough unusable paint left over in it when empty to just about spray a complete model.  The new gun has a 120ml cup at the top, which means its easy to mix up and use small quantities of paint.  This is the spray gun:

An airbrush may be more suited to this kind of work - I do have one that needs a bit of TLC, as all it's O-rings and so on have perished, BUT, most airbrushes only works well with thin paint.  The "filling" etch-primer I have for this project needs a more robust spray gun for the higher viscosity paint.

I spent some time masking of various bits of a selection of the parts with ordinary paper-based masking tape.  There are better products out there for masking off things, but I used what I had on hand.  Some bits were lightly pinned to blocks of wood with brads through mounting holes to keep them in place.  The bearing pedestal was just shoved on a bit of bent brazing wire to make a "handle" for it while painting; the handle to be used to hang on a hook to dry.  The cylinder cover was literally just stuck to the wooden block with more masking tape.  For the two bearing blocks, I just used an 8mm bolt in each with masking tape wrapped tightly around to keep them in place and to protect the edges of the bronze bushes from paint.  All of this was just that there was some way to handle the bits while painting to get at all sides, and also to safely store it for drying:

None of the pieces shown have any holes with threads in them, so I didn't bother to plug the holes.  It will be easy enough later on to clean paint from the holes with a drill bit...

After a last wipe-down with bits of my plentiful "John Wayne"(*) shop toilet paper lightly soaked in thinners, on to a bit of paint.  And all of this was VERY new to me...  Seeing as the spray gun was new, I ran about half a cup full of clean thinners through it spraying at a bit of cardboard.  I tested the different controls on the spray gun to test what they were used for and how they responded.  The clean thinners was just to make sure the gun was thoroughly clean before I tried paint.
Eventually I mixed some of the primer with thinners according to the instructions in a separate clean empty jam bottle.  The instructions said 30% - 40% thinners to paint; I opted for the more viscous option because of the relatively small spray gun and went for 40%.  A quick test on a bit of scrap plate, and with some fiddling with the controls I got a passable result, so I went ahead and sprayed all the bits.

I've used rattle-cans to varying degrees of success in the past; in fact, most of the painting I've done on models thus far have been done with rattle-cans (with some free-hand brush painting making up the rest).  In all cases, tying to get a nice and even coat of primer on them proved to be very difficult, with quite a bit of work needed afterwards to smooth things with wet & dry, or in many cases a complete strip of all the paint for a retry.  I found applying the paint with the spray gun was much easier.  It gives greater control, and things turned out pretty well.  As I finished each lot I stuck them in the old oven Don mentioned in my shop revamp to dry off:

No heat or anything; it's just a nice and dust-free place to store them.

This paint dries pretty quickly; on my test plate it took just 15 minutes to be completely touch-dry - it was a nice warm day today at about 32oC with a smidge of humidity.  So after about an hour I took the bits out of the "oven" for some photos.
I've mentioned before that I don't like painting things, but it's one of those things that needs to be done.  Most of Elmer's engines looks great without any paint, but some colour does add character.  On a bigger model like this it's part and parcel of the build.

Please pardon my enthusiasm...

:whoohoo: :cartwheel: :whoohoo:

Of all the primer paint jobs I've tried so far on engines, this was by far the easiest, with the most satisfactory results straight-away.
It easily covered in one thin coat, but did not tend to draw away from any sharp edges like I've always had.  And the "filling" part of this primer also looks to be doing well; it covered toolmarks and went into corners very well and pretty evenly:

And

That was the shop session for the day - and quite satisfying at that  :)

Kind regards, Arnold

(*) "John Wayne" shop toilet paper: It's rough and tough and takes crap from no-one.  Non-perforated industrial toilet paper supplied on big rolls.  Doesn't tear or fray easily. 
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #362 on: October 20, 2013, 12:17:56 AM »
Well Pilgram, pretty darn good looking painting ya did there. Nice one on the paint booth. Put a small A/C filter on one wall, cut a hole, and put a fan on the outside, exhausting the over spray out. Getting rid of the over spray makes a much nicer topcoat. Old window box fans work great. Can't wait to see it back together.

Whiskey

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #363 on: October 20, 2013, 12:53:48 AM »
Very nice Arnold

I want to learn more about this painting business. If you got good at it it could even be fun  :o

Steve

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #364 on: October 20, 2013, 12:59:09 AM »
Nice looking parts Arnold!

Dave

Online Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #365 on: October 20, 2013, 01:44:10 AM »
Arnold love the piaint job, I need to get me a spray gun as I have never tried it. Glad to see you making use of the oven, it will be handy in cold and rainy weather to bake your engines with. I usually leave mine at 200 degree F. Good to see that your getting close to finishing bud. Awaiting the final paint job.

Don

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #366 on: October 20, 2013, 02:06:53 AM »
Almost there :cartwheel:

Love the bonnets and your nice clean oven...............lots of scrubbing or very little cooking?  :LittleDevil:

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline Steam Haulage

• Notts UK
« Reply #367 on: October 20, 2013, 09:54:48 AM »
Just for the record,
The primer you used is 'technically' known as a primer-surfacer. A long time ago a primer was applied and allowed to dry/cure and then a separate coat of surfacer applied and dried/cured. Eventually some bright spark(s) combined the properties into one product. The surfacer contains a high loading of extenders, such as barytes, china clay etc which provides build over the metal and after sanding a good surface for following coats.

JerryNotts
Dogs look up to you, cats look down on you, pigs treat you as equal.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #368 on: October 20, 2013, 09:58:14 AM »
Hi Arnold,
 Loving this build.
Just an idea for your shaft seals... the old guys, no longer with us, from my club commented several times about using PTFE tape for shaft sealing that it wasn't a good idea as galled (think that's the spelling) the shaft, they were talking about piston rods though, rotating shafts may be OK.
If you are going hunting for graphite string try hunting down graphfoil tape.....this stuff looks to be straight graphite, corrugated of different widths. Easy to cut to width, wind on enough to slide into packing recess & tighten gland, it will then deform to what ever shape required & gives a nice slippy surface. Got some at home & can proved a bit more info from the label if anybody is interested

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #369 on: October 20, 2013, 01:37:07 PM »
  Coming along nicely Arnold.   :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Ron

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #370 on: October 20, 2013, 01:52:57 PM »
Yippee!  I found a package of graphite yarn at a local hardware store!  This stuff is hard to find these days.

Phooey!  Don't believe the label.  Even though it is called "Graphite Yarn" on the label, it contained no graphite and no yarn.  It looks like yarn, three strand twist but it is not. The first clue was that it is very clean, no dirty black smudge.  It turns out to be three strands of twisted black, glossy, PTFE or something like it.  Each strand can be untwisted to reveal a flat tape.  Rats! 

Jerry

PS found at True Value Hardware with True Value label.
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #371 on: October 26, 2013, 05:46:39 PM »
Thanks All  :praise2:

Steve, you might want to have a look at Christopher Vine's book "How (not) to paint a locomotive".  It's nice and cheap, and I'm pretty much following along on how he did things.

:LittleDevil: The oven's not connected yet; it's just a convenient place to store the painted bits without getting dust on them while drying.  Funnily enough the one in the kitchen is cleaner and gets used at least four times a week...  Lots of scrubbing; I like cooking and baking but not in a dirty oven.

I was looking forward to a full shop session for a change...  Alas, that was not to be; a couple of days ago a damp patch appeared in the back driveway.  I didn't think too much of it; I thought it was just a remnant of some recent rains.  This morning it was looking like a fountain was about to erupt, and we haven't had any rain for a while and everything is bone dry, so there's definitely a problem:

After lifting the pavers and digging around, I discovered the source of the Nile...  the mains water pipe had ruptured  :facepalm2: .  That called for a trip to town to get stuff to repair the pipe, and after more work, things are fixed.  I left the hole open so that I can monitor things for a day or two; then I'll fill it up again and put the puzzle pieces back:

That lot's not going to do my water bill much good...

On to some engine work, and I started masking the cylinder block off:

A while later:

I'm not too concerned about the holes that are left open; a tap will easily clean excess paint from them.

I also prepared all the other bits that still needs primer.  The flywheel had a couple of blemishes and some rough spots that happened when the spray gun ran empty, so it was also given a good rubbing to get rid of those, and will get another thin coat of primer:

Doing that lot took quite a bit of time, and as it was starting to get a bit late, I decided to leave things at that and not start spraying it.  I don't want to rush things while spraying.  Tomorrow I should be able to get the rest of the primer coats done, and also start on the colour coat.   It's nice and hot here now with consistent 35-36oC temperatures predicted, so the paint will dry quickly.

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #372 on: October 26, 2013, 05:52:47 PM »
Good progress there Arnold.  I'm still stuck with the cylinder feet.

What colour are you thinking of using?  I think mine will be cherry reddish.

Vince

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #373 on: October 26, 2013, 05:56:01 PM »
Ahh, the joys of home ownership :censored:. I really like the pavers. Aren't those repair couplings a blessing. Happy painting :cheers:

Whiskey

Online Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #374 on: October 26, 2013, 06:13:45 PM »
Nice to see some progress Arnold. Bummer about the plumbing and I am concern that the pipe is not deeper into the ground. It looks like it's just below the pavers. Weight could break it again.

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal