Author Topic: Arnold's take on the MEM Corliss  (Read 169599 times)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: Arnold's take on the MEM Corliss
« Reply #330 on: August 11, 2013, 05:53:27 PM »
Well done Arnold!     

A great runner, "straight out of the box":praise2:

And, finishing off, will improve it further!  :whoohoo:

Very pleased for you......  :ThumbsUp:

David D

David.
Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!
Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #331 on: August 11, 2013, 06:01:32 PM »
Jo, Jason, Don, Vince& David, Thanks !

Enjoy the studs.  ;D

:Lol: - I'll try.  Need to make some holding bits first, and set up the mini lathe properly; it's been languishing for two years and never really did anything, and it's about time the ML7 had a bit of a rest...

PS keep it on the slow speed :)
Aye - definitely.  Once she's fully done, I'd like to run her as slow as possible - no use in missing out all the interesting action in a blur of motion!

Vince, not a silly comment  :)  This is per the plans - you can check here.  You could change it over to run on the front, but then you'd need to make some changes first. 
As it is currently, the bolts on the top two linkages would foul on the valve rod, and the mounting section of the valves are a tad short.
So if you'd have to make the "eccentric rod to valve disk swivel" longer to add some room to add the clearance for the valve arms.  And then there's a choice to overcome the "too short" mounting ends of the valves; the easiest would be to make the valve disk hub about 3-5mm shorter and adjust the spindle dimensions accordingly - with this way all the other measurements and dimensions stay the same.  If you don't change the disk hub dimensions, you'd have to make the turned-down section on the valves about 3mm longer, as well as bend the "eccentric to disk rod" a bit more to compensate.
Sounds like a lot to say, but it's not difficult once you choose the way you'd like.  If you want to add the governor, you might have to be a bit more careful; I didn't check how the changes would affect that.

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #332 on: August 11, 2013, 07:29:40 PM »
Greetings Arnold, and as usual, I'm late for the party.Ya **just** couldn't wait until you were finished before you put the air to it could ya?  :lolb:  I couldn't either. What a splendid thing to behold! Some tweaking here and there yet to do but still, it is so majestic in stature. Nice and slow. It's a beauty for certain. You are planning on building the governor? Yes, No? Maybe? Well done and thank you for sharing the ride with us.  :ThumbsUp:

BC1
Jim

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #333 on: August 11, 2013, 08:07:44 PM »
There has got to be something to this "Lazy Way" of doing things as that is just absolutely, positively, stinking awesome. I'm speechless and that very rarely happens to me.

Whiskey

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #334 on: August 11, 2013, 10:40:05 PM »
GEEZ! I missed a couple of episodes and now it's running! Well done Arnold! :ThumbsUp:
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #335 on: August 11, 2013, 11:19:37 PM »
Arnold

Lovely job, it must be very satisfying that it runs so well first time.

Just one question, is it designed to run in that direction ?
My Pollit & Wigzell runs the opposite way, the theory being that the crosshead thrust will be downwards onto the slides which are machined into the bedplate. I suppose with a trunk guide it makes no odds which way it runs.

Phil

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #336 on: August 12, 2013, 12:17:54 AM »

Even though the piston still needs a ring, and nothing is bolted to the base (the screws you see are just dropped in to locate things but not bolted up), and there's not a gasket in sight, it runs, and surprisingly well at that:

And that my friend is proof positive of your skill as a model engineer.

I cannot say how much it means to see the successful fruit of our labours in the flesh.

Congratulations.

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #337 on: August 12, 2013, 12:25:32 AM »
Just saw the vid Arnold, you must be on top of the world. Well done, and to the designers as well.

Cheers, Hugh.

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #338 on: August 12, 2013, 12:51:22 AM »

Hooraaaayy!! It runs.  The fact that it runs without gaskets and the other stuff is testiment to your skill and the viability of the design. Thanks to all who worked on developing it and to you for taking us a long for the ride.   :praise2: :praise2: :praise2:

Ron

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #339 on: August 12, 2013, 01:46:06 AM »
Of course it runs!  It is meant to!  That's the way it was designed!  The only thing that would keep it from running is sloppy work and there is no evidence of that here.  Just good, careful, step by step progress to an inevitable conclusion.  Still, it is magical, majestic, and cool as it can be.  Makes you want to just sit and grin, don't it!  Oops! I went redneck there for a minute. Hope you don't mind.

I could have just said "Nice work" but these things really deserve a celebration so, here  :whoohoo: :whoohoo: :whoohoo:
Three cheers.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #340 on: August 12, 2013, 06:23:30 AM »
Way to go Arnold  :cartwheel: :cartwheel: :cartwheel: :cartwheel: :cartwheel:

What a great running engine ticks over real slow and that linkage looks like a spider doing the tango   :ROFL:

I've followed along quietly and a must say what an interesting project  :ThumbsUp:

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #341 on: August 12, 2013, 10:48:54 AM »
Looks great and runs just as well - well done Arnold and to those who designed her.

Nick

Offline ProdEng

« Reply #342 on: August 12, 2013, 11:00:39 AM »
Looks and sounds fantastic at low speed, well done Arnold  :whoohoo:
Jan in Perth

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #343 on: August 12, 2013, 11:57:48 AM »
Simply excellent in every respect Arnold.  The fact that is runs so well even now, should make the finishing work all the more satisfying. I'll be following along until the very end!!

Bill

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #344 on: August 12, 2013, 12:00:04 PM »
Outstanding work on the Corliss. I really enjoy watching the valves working. When it's painted up it will be quite an impressive model.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal