Author Topic: MEM_Corliss Yet another!  (Read 8387 times)

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
Re: MEM_Corliss Yet another!
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 09:22:17 PM »
Jerry

None taken.  These are things that happen.  Did you get Don's Excel sheet for making the spokes?  I wouldn't have been able to finish my first-ever spoked flywheel without it.

Vince

Offline Steam Haulage

• Notts UK
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 02:15:03 PM »
Some more progress with the layout of the flywheel spokes.

I took some time to lay out the spokes to my own satisfaction and developed the attached in ACAD from which I laser cut a template to fit around the hub and within the inner rim. AutoCAD is really quick for this sort of thing.
All I have to do now is to make it.
Jerry
Dogs look up to you, cats look down on you, pigs treat you as equal.

Offline RickBarnes

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 07:54:28 PM »
Not sure if I mentioned it on this forum or not, but I attached a link to the museum I work at.  I get to play with a 90 hp corliss there.  http://muskegonheritage.org/

Offline Steam Haulage

• Notts UK
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 03:50:56 PM »
At last some more progress on the MEM Corliss ( my build, with acknowledgements to the designers and builders)

Progress has been less than snail's pace since my last update in March, while I did more work on my collection of misunderstood tools.

Attached are the flywheel marked out and after drilling out the corners and set-up for milling out the spoke spaces,
and with the first one end-mill cut on one side.

At least I have progressed a little further :)

Jerry

Offline Steam Haulage

• Notts UK
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 03:54:28 PM »
Oops, got in a muddle with the pictures!
Jerry

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2014, 03:58:54 PM »
Nice to see you back at this engine Jerry and a nice bit of progress,  :ThumbsUp:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2014, 04:01:58 PM »
Jerry

I know the feeling.  Any progress even if a little is a move in the right direction.

Are you using a rotary table to cut the spokes?

Vince

Offline Steam Haulage

• Notts UK
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 08:06:22 AM »
Yes Vince.
Though the rotary table has given me no end of trouble. In a separate thread about RTs which I followed I asked about dismantling it. I set it on the milling table and fixed the flywheel with 4 x 6mm hold down bolts into the tee slots and could only get about 45 deg. of rotation. Without thinking further I removed the FW from the RT and took the RT to the bench.
Could not find any cause of the binding but dismantled and cleaned it. Back on the mill remounted the flywheel, it rotated further (60deg) but still not further.
When I slackened the hold down bolts the rotation was 360 so I assume the flywheel (cast iron) is more rigid than the RT. ( you know what assumptions make) In the end I slackened every adjuster on the RT, tightened the flywheel hold down bolts and used the RT clamping to keep the table from moving.
Everything seems to work OK, using the mill DRO and RT rotary scale to align for each of the 8 spokes. I checked that I could get a full 360 degree rotation before I milled the first.

Back to the bench with the RT once I have finished all the spokes tho'. I may look for a better quality old type RT if I can find one I can afford.

Jerry

Offline Steam Haulage

• Notts UK
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 04:21:35 PM »
I thought I should give a quick update on my (lack of) progress on m build. Some of the following may be familiar!

I'm still working on the build which Vcutajar mentioned in post 120 in another thread. Some members may remember that in my personal intro. I mentioned the need for me to assemble a new workshop, having lost the one I had some years ago.
I made the flywheel which I showed in my log and then began to realise the lack of some of the 'incidental' kit which I needed.
Beginning with the making of a slotting tool based on Peter Robinson's design in MEW issue 4 entitled "a professional slotting tool". As I now have a GH 1330 lathe which has a four-way tool post I decided to adapt his design to fit directly in the place of a tool holder.
I had determined before I set out to re-establish a workshop that I would work as much as possible in metric units. I then discovered that I would need to set-out the whole thing in millimetres.
As I began to use some of the drills which I had from the past I rediscovered many of these had less than optimum sharpness. Graham Meek had by then started his topic on this forum entitled "getting the most out of a drill grinding jig, or Perfect twist drills every time.". You can probably guess the rest; and that is where I am now.

Jerry

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal