Author Topic: A Corliss Cross Compound  (Read 52727 times)

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
Re: A Corliss Cross Compound
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 01:13:52 PM »
Hi Ramon

I don't want to Hi-Jack this thread, but in answer to your questions:-

Yes, the fly wheel is a variation on the Throp engine flywheel but with an internal ring gear for the barring engine. That was the only available casting when dad started on Agnes.
I have matters in hand to do away with this and make a correct flywheel which as you say is made up from eight outer segments, and separate spokes and hub.

One of Peters engines was sold at Christies in 1995 for ?7000, and has since vanished without trace possibly to Australia, but luckily for us Peter left his other engine to the Northern Mill Engine Society where it is now on permanent display in the museum in Bolton.

I went to see it a couple of months ago and took "rather a Lot" of detailed photo's.

I have plenty of photo's of both the model and the full size engine if anyone is interested in any particular detail.
It might be best to start a new thread on "Agnes" so you can follow my progress.
Phil

Hi Phil, Yes indeed that is the model - 'you lucky lucky guy'  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

I see the flywheel is made from two halves but if I remember correctly Peters engine that I saw had a segmented flywheel the machining of which was simply perfect. The whole model was a joy to behold - superb workmanship. I may have a photo of it somewhere - do you have any?

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 01:19:15 PM »
Wow, that is certainly inspiring!!! What a beautiful engine and craftsmanship.

Bill

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »
Thanks Phil - I'm sure Jo won't mind, after all that is really something for all to set their sights at.

When I saw it it was inside a glass display case which affected the pics - that really is a magnificent piece of work isn't it. Over many years I have seen some truly beautiful models at the various shows but this one and the eighteen cylinder radial engine made by Gerald Smith are particularly deeply etched into the memory banks.

Thanks for sharing them.

Good luck with yours

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 02:23:14 PM »
To add to the inspirational collection of photographs, this is  :NotWorthy: Gugger's engine:

As you can see he has modified the cross compound by adding tail rods and not fitted the air compressor.

Jo
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 02:03:42 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 03:05:18 PM »
Great pictures. Wow!  I have spent the last hour trying to absorb all of the amazing detail in these great models.  I will spend many more over the next few days.  I can not hope to duplicate them but I can try to understand them. 

More please.  If anyone thinks that would be a hi-jack of this thread, then a new topic of Corliss Pictures might be worthwhile. 

I envy those of you who have the chance to visit live steam museums. Most of the picture that come out of those museums are from tourist and for some reason they concentrate on the flywheel and crank.  These picture, taken by model engineers, get to the heart of the details.

Jerry

NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 03:16:56 PM »
Something more of Gugger's work to keep you interested Jerry:

Jo

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 03:18:59 PM »
I am beginning to feel downright inept looking at all these great pictures  :thinking:

Bill

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 03:50:10 PM »
Now that too is truly a great piece of model making Jo - fantastic attention to detail .

I particularly like the pressure gauge array, the main stop valve (I assume the others are the drain valves/warming valves) and those delightful oil 'aquariums' atop the main bearings but the whole is a masterpiece without a doubt. Smashing job on cladding the flywheel too.

Capt J - I found a whole load of old photographs today of the corliss engine in the Manchester museum but they'll all need scanning and times not on my side at present - see what I can do later in the week.

regards - Ramon

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 04:16:26 PM »
There is another nice one on Preston's site, ideal for those of you who may find some of the parts a bit small  ;) about 2/3rds down the page.

http://www.prestonservices.co.uk/miniatures.html

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
A Corliss Cross Compound
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 05:17:21 PM »
Some awesome models there. I'll be watching this project as well (obviously!)

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 09:05:43 PM »
Some of these engines are real works of art and it goes against the grain to criticise such wonderful work But:-

To my eye the operating linkages on the Corliss valve gear look too chunky, assuming a scale of 1/16 ie Agnes, then some of the rods in full size are no more than 1" diameter on full size so would be 1/16" on the model.
If on the model they are made to 1/8" that equates to 2" on full size, and would be way too big for a true to scale looking model.

Look at the photos I put on earlier showing the Agnes linkages, then compare them to some of the others.

Just my 2p worth.

Phil

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 09:36:29 PM »
Hi Phil
Without going out to the shop at this time to check I'm pretty sure that Arnold Throp in his article in ME alluded to this very problem saying that most gear would probably not stand up to working continuously if made to true scale. I guess he made allowance for this in his design but you have to hand it to Peter S for making it look right on 'Agnes'.

That said I suppose one has to bear in mind that the Throp engine is not attributed to being exact scale but one based on his experiences on the full size engines.

Ramon

Online Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 01:19:02 AM »

Capt J - I found a whole load of old photographs today of the corliss engine in the Manchester museum but they'll all need scanning and times not on my side at present - see what I can do later in the week.

regards - Ramon

No hurry, Ramon.  I'm in good health. I should be here for a while yet.

One thing that I would really like to see is a good view of the Musgrave at the point where the catch engages.  All view that I have seen have that critical point obscured by the vertical cam lift levers.

Jerry
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 01:22:59 AM by Captain Jerry »
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 12:20:55 PM »
Ramon

You mentioned Peter's Tandem compound.
That would be "Agnes" the model I am currently building, mine is one of only three in existence unless someone knows better.
Peter built two of them, my father obtained the only remaining castings form Peter and started this one in the 1980's.
It was sold in this condition 13 years ago when dad took ill, I have just managed to buy it back and intend to finish it myself.

Watch this space, but don't hold your breath. I may be a while.

By the way, I still have an original Fleet catalogue.

Phil

Please do post!....I have a marine engine of similar proportions that I would love to build...but I have to find the courage.....it will be a monster   8000 IHP battleship engine from USS Ohio....BB12.   a 4 legged triple with baring engine and a Browns reverse engine ........
 :ShakeHead:

There is a cure for this isn't there..........
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 12:31:10 PM »

There is a cure for this isn't there..........

I hope not   :pinkelephant:

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal