Author Topic: Replacement toolpost for Grizzly lathe  (Read 6008 times)

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
Replacement toolpost for Grizzly lathe
« on: January 12, 2013, 12:58:32 AM »
Howdy all.

This is nothing super extraordinary by any means, but was a nice little machining introduction for me.

Essentially, what I am going to cover in this post is the replacement of a standard 4 way tool post on a 12 X 36 lathe, with a quick change toolpost from a smaller lathe.

Here is my lathe, at the headstock end, to show you the 4 way toolpost:

It's a perfectly reasonable toolpost, but it's "chunky" - a bit big. I have found it a little awkward to mount smaller toolbits and get them close to the chuck on small parts.

Here is a close up of the toolpost:

A while ago my Dad sent me over this quick change toolpost. I believe this is a Myford toolpost, but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyway - it is much more compact, and much better suited to holding 3/8 and 1/4 bits. The 4 way post required all the bits to be seriously packed up with shims - about 3/8" worth typically.

So this is a pretty straightforward project really - it's a matter of measuring the height differences of the two posts, measuring the mounting thread of the old post, and then making a new shaft, a spacer, and a clamping nut to put the new post in position.

Let's start with the mounting shaft:

I started by machining the shaft to suit the hole in the toolpost. I had some nice 3/4" dia steel around that was ideal, so I turned down the length of shaft required, plus some extra to take a thread for a clamping nut. I did this slowly, because I am new to machining, but by taking my time got the shaft to fit really nice and close to the bore in the toolpost. I threaded the end of the shaft with an M10 thread.

Then I turned the shaft around, to start work on the end that would mount to the cross slide.

I had previously measured the mounting thread as M16 X 1.5.

So this was going to be fun - my first ever attempt at screw cutting on a lathe.

Let me just say right off, I made some fundamental errors and did not get the thread right first time. The pictures that follow are the third attempt.  :embarassed:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 03:39:21 PM by propforward »
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
Re: Replacement toolpost for Grizzly lathe
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 01:01:31 AM »
So, this is the start of getting the mounting end ready for threading

Here is the first pass of the thread cut:

And here it is, finished up.

Man - I really enjoyed making that!

Finished shaft:

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 03:40:40 PM by propforward »
Stuart

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 01:07:49 AM »
Once I made that, I did a dry assembly run to make sure that the toolpost was going to be in the right place

It looks odd perched there like that, but this just assured me that I was along the right lines.

Next up was to make a spacer to clamp between the shaft and cross slide, for the toolpost to sit on.

I had a piece of scrap steel, 3" in diameter, that had been tossed out at work. I don't know what alloy it is, but decided to try and use it, as it was the right size.

I cleaned it up on the diameter, faced it, and then machined a bore and counterbore, to suit the mounting shaft.

Once that was done, I cut off the piece I needed using a bandsaw, and then faced the other side to the right length.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 03:42:06 PM by propforward »
Stuart

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 01:17:04 AM »
At this point, these are the components prepared, and ready to go.

Next up, a clamping collar and nut.

This is the start of the clamping nut, getting bored out to accept an M10 thread.

I am boring it instead of drilling it, because the cheapo chinese made drill bit I have is hideously blunt, and the point is ground at least 2mm off center.  :cussing:

Never mind. I need practice at boring (this post is doing well in that regard  :ROFL:)

Here is the clamping nut - I deburred the threaded hole AFTER taking the picture.

Here are the main components, artfully arranged next to my favourite lathe reference work.

At this point, I made a short 6mm diameter shaft, and a simple knob, to thread into  the clamping nut.

And here it is, all assembled and ready for use

This is my first ever self ground toolbit mounted to it. I used this bit in the 4 way toolpost to make most of these components.

So there you are - a nice little project, and the new toolpost is much more compact, and I think it will be easier to work with. Tomorrow I will grind up some 1/4" bits, and get back to my first engine!

Thanks for bearing with me. This was a great project - it covered a lot of fundamentals - turning, facing, turning to a specific diameter, screwthreading, boring and counter boring, and a taper. I really had fun with this.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 03:44:05 PM by propforward »
Stuart

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 02:25:37 AM »
Nice job I reckon :ThumbsUp: I still have the clunky tool post and a box of shims but would like your style of tool post...maybe 1 day. To paraphrase 'So many tools   so little money' ::) Anyways a nice clear write up
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 03:39:13 AM »
Enjoyed it Prop, nice clean write up and great photos. Nice addition to the lathe, it keeps getting better doesn't it?

Don

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 05:24:45 AM »
Nice little job Prop. Now you'll need to amass a huge collection of holders for it. One can never have enough.

Cheers
Steve

Offline Stilldrillin

• Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 08:56:31 AM »
Prop.
That was a great project! 

Nicely done, and shown......  :praise2:

David D
David.
Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!
Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 09:25:03 AM »
Well Done!  :cheers:

I still need to make the handle bar nut for both of my toolposts.....add it to the list!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 01:37:10 PM »
Thanks all! Looking forward to putting this into service today. Got to grind a few 1/4" bits, and then make more chips - see if I can progress that wobbler a bit.
Stuart

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 01:54:18 PM »
Well done Prop!!!  Excellent pictures too!!! That should make using the lathe far easier.

Bill

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 04:49:27 PM »
Nice job.  Toolmaking is very satisfying.

Don't throw/give away the 4-way post however.  Now that you have the QC post to handle tools you change often, you can afford to load the 4-way with less used or specialty tools.  Shimming them is less of an annoyance when you know you only have to do it once.

Before I got a QC I had made about six 4-ways.  Some of them were the typical design and some were personalized to hold specialized tools, e.g. a 3-way for getting into tight corners and one set up for 1/8" bits for detail work.  I fitted all of them with integral lock-down handles so they can be mounted without the need for any wrenches.  I still use all of them and wouldn't be without them.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 04:56:16 PM »
Absolutely - the 4 way is still a perfectly good tool Never throw a good tool away!
Stuart

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal