Author Topic: Wright Brothers 1903 Engine  (Read 54141 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
Re: Wright Brothers 1903 Engine
« Reply #165 on: May 22, 2016, 01:46:46 AM »
Cute as a speckled pup  :ThumbsUp:. These type parts are where guys like you and Chris make the Sherline shine.  And Jo will be so proud of you for "multi-building" ;D

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #166 on: May 22, 2016, 01:56:39 AM »
Thanks Cletus! Not so much multi-building on this one at least...just wanted a diversion and to get an idea of the final size.  At this point its looking more like a scale but non-generating version of the original...if my eyes don't fail me first :)

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #167 on: May 22, 2016, 02:09:57 AM »
Cldver use of the rotary table and mill cutter!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #168 on: May 23, 2016, 03:11:30 AM »
That is a great looking part, Bill. What a process! That would of been an interesting CNC project. I can see where that would be handy at times.

When you started connecting the holes in pic #3 I thought it might be one of those things where you connect the dots and get a drawing of a bear or eagle or something.  :ROFL:

I'm looking forward to your next step on your "Vickie" build.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #169 on: July 24, 2019, 08:24:40 PM »
I know this is a very old thread - but I just saw a complete engine today (minus the upper cover-plate for the crankcase) at the Science Museum in London today …!

The engine is in extremely good nick (almost like new), so I took several pictures from as many angles as possible. I will not be able to post them until I get back home. One interesting detail - the ignition "dynamo" is not part of the engine …. it apparently is mounted on the fuselage next to the engine, and a rubber wheel on it touches the flywheel on the engine ….  :thinking:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #170 on: July 24, 2019, 08:36:08 PM »
That is correct. The fuel tank was also mounted on one of the struts and my understanding is that there was no regulation to it, simply on (fuel flowing) or off.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures and thanks for resurrecting the thread. There will be more activity on this in a month or so.

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #171 on: July 24, 2019, 09:00:04 PM »
I know this is a very old thread - but I just saw a complete engine today (minus the upper cover-plate for the crankcase) at the Science Museum in London today …!

Hi Per,

You seem to be back in the UK again  ::) one of these days you will have to travel down to Hampshire to visit us and given warning I am sure I can get Vixen to bring up his two Bristols and the Merc  so you can see those as well  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #172 on: July 24, 2019, 10:49:54 PM »
Hello Per,

If you decide to visit Jo, I will join you there and bring along all three Bristol radials and two Mercedes W165 engines.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #173 on: July 26, 2019, 09:38:38 PM »
Thank you both  :Love:

I will have to decline the very nice offer this time, as it is my father that has invited me with him for a few days in London, to see a few of the nice museums - flying forth and back => no personal transport ….

We're flying back tomorrow (Saturday).  Next time I'm visiting the UK, I would love to come by, if it possible to fit into the schedule  :cheers:

Best wishes

Per

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal