Author Topic: 9 inch Ford differential in 1/3 scale  (Read 51188 times)

Offline gbritnell

Re: 9 inch Ford differential in 1/3 scale
« Reply #135 on: March 05, 2013, 09:05:32 PM »
At this point the vise was again removed from the mill and the rotary table set up again with the necessary indicating. I wiggled the set-up lines and cut the outer 2 radii with the 26.5 cutter. I still couldn't cut the end radii because I wasn't quite sure how the hump was going to blend in so with step-off chart in hand I cut the radius for the hump. The two pictures show the progression of the cuts forming the radius.

Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #136 on: March 05, 2013, 09:14:18 PM »
By cutting the hump radius I lost my layout lines so I had to file the steps down smooth so that I could rescribe them. The end radii were finished and blended out where they meet the hump.
The cover was now ready for finishing. The hump radius was already filed so it was just a matter of doing the corner radii and blending everything together. The hardest part was finishing the inside of the hump. Getting down in there with riffler files was the only way to finish off the steps.
Once the finishing was compete I cut the extra material from the outside forming the proper radii on the cover. Everything was cleaned up and the cover was soft soldered to the housing.
gbritnell

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #137 on: March 05, 2013, 09:20:43 PM »
The final pictures are the glamor shots with the center section installed. I'm not going to finish the axle tubes at this time as I'm not sure what type of frame I'm going to use and what the wheelbase will be.
Someone asked about putting something in the picture to show the relative size of this part. I figured everyone knows what size micrometers are so here you have it.
gbritnell

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #138 on: March 05, 2013, 09:27:06 PM »
Wow George you have been busy  :NotWorthy: :NotWorthy:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #139 on: March 05, 2013, 09:29:51 PM »
Oh Man!   That is Beautiful George!

Are you going to do the tubes and axles?

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #140 on: March 05, 2013, 09:54:36 PM »
Hey George!

Have you considered looking for some slicks of the right size and building a fat tire chassis? How cool would a pair of coil overs look with a 4 link on a bare frame with a 12 point cage and some wheelie bars!!? Oh Buddy!!

Oh god!  I gotta go lay down.

Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline metalmad

• Australia Skype - metalmad11
« Reply #141 on: March 05, 2013, 10:42:44 PM »

Leading the Pack, George!
Pete
A little bit every day, sometimes the same little bit

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #142 on: March 05, 2013, 11:20:30 PM »
Hi Dave,
I already made a cutter up to cut the splines on the axles and it works well. I haven't decided what kind or size of chassis that I'm going to build so I'm not going to make the axle tubes until I figure that out.
gbritnell

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #143 on: March 06, 2013, 03:09:43 AM »
Wow!....... Dog gone George you have been busy. Awesome work as usual and you never stop amazing me. Did you chiseled the rest of the frame from solid brass? I see you did step milling on some of the frame work.

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #144 on: March 06, 2013, 12:03:54 PM »
Wonderful project George, as are all of yours for that matter. You are the master of miniaturization!! Thanks for sharing each journey with us. Oh, and thanks for the size reference too :)

Bill

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #145 on: March 06, 2013, 08:25:07 PM »
Hey George!

Have you considered looking for some slicks of the right size and building a fat tire chassis? How cool would a pair of coil overs look with a 4 link on a bare frame with a 12 point cage and some wheelie bars!!? Oh Buddy!!

Oh god!  I gotta go lay down.
Steve,
Heatstroke in March!
George,
That is the cleverist giant micrometer I've ever seen. Makes your model look as if it is a tiny scale replica, but that would hardly be possible. It looks better than the real thing. Onward to the rest of the vehicle. Absolutely terrific!
Mosey

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #146 on: March 27, 2013, 12:50:28 AM »
The axle tubes are finished, as are the axles and all the hardware. I haven't soldered the tubes into the banjo or housing yet. This won't be done until I figure out what size frame to build. At that time spring perches and link bar attachment points will be added. The axles were turned from 1144 steel. The splines were cut to fit the spline bushing stock I used from Stock Drive Products. There are ball bearings pressed on to the axles with home made 0 ring type seal bushings behind them. The finished housing can be seen in the other thread in the finished category.
gbritnell

Offline angeloscuro

« Reply #147 on: October 24, 2013, 12:00:54 PM »
my mother, did not know that there were people here who works at the naza, by god amazing job, Gbritnell have hands that are worth gold, you're a great teacher, congratulations

(sorry for my English)

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #148 on: October 29, 2013, 01:47:34 AM »
Hi Angelo,
Il tuo inglese è bene

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal