Author Topic: Rust "Halt"  (Read 9537 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
Rust "Halt"
« on: January 09, 2013, 06:55:50 PM »
This may be one of those " everybody knows that" kinda things , but, I didn't . My brother in law is a retired T&D maker and he gave me some little Camphor squares to put in my tool boxes. Moisture gone and that means no rust. Also I don't think I'll have any moth problems with the felt drawer liners. Now my boxes kinda smell like Grandma's coat closet. Ah the good memories.
Eric

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
Re: Rust "Halt"
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 08:08:01 PM »
I use em in my tool chest, but watch out...they are on the politically incorrect list.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 11:07:54 AM »
How So Mosey?

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 11:24:16 AM »
OK it appears that the FDA doesn't like you eating this stuff....though in other parts of the world it's still put into sweets... :hellno:

Soooooo.

Don't eat it...

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Goldstar31

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 11:39:42 AM »
OK it appears that the FDA doesn't like you eating this stuff....though in other parts of the world it's still put into sweets... :hellno:

Soooooo.

Don't eat it...

Dave

But it is OK to rub it on your chest. In fact it is an old English ditty sung to the tune of John Brown's Body( which I suspect is close enough) which you rub with Camphorated Oil.

Ah, those Boy Scout days  :old:

Norm

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 11:44:10 AM »

Soooooo.

Don't eat it...

Dave

But it is OK to rub it on your chest. In fact it is an old English ditty sung to the tune of John Brown's Body( which I suspect is close enough) which you rub with Camphorated Oil.

Ah, those Boy Scout days  :old:

Norm

:lolb:

It's amazing that even survived our childhoods isn't it!.....I used to cast pullies for my Errector set  ( Meccano on your side of the pond) from lead using old wheel weights and my fathers Oxy Acetylene torch when I was 12.....so I guess technically...I'm dead...I couldn't possibly have survived that...not possible....
 8)
Dave
Damned ijjit!

Goldstar31

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 12:26:22 PM »
Ah, Dave! You must have had a sheltered upbringing.
 But back to last night's viewing and on topic. There was this Antiques Road Show thing( Cawdor Castle- Loch Ness Monster area) and someone produced a box with drawers which were covered with fine leather and embossed with brass studs and the letters A-R picked out. The drawers were lined with---silk. Serious stuff this and no doubt would have been scented with camphor to keep the moths out. A-R was - or they thought- Queen Anne who lived from 1665- became Queen( hence the R for Regina in 1702) and died in 1714.

Back to lining your drawers with silk - and camphor( If you get the joke) :lolb:

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 01:14:14 PM »
Dave, thanks for clearing that up. This is one of my first posts and I thought  :Doh: :rant: :slap: they will never let you play in their little gang now,so, I just kinda dropped it. Does keep the tools nice though and since it contains no pig fat,caffeine, nicotine,or alcohol I wouldn't have even thought about digesting it.
Eric

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 01:49:34 PM »
And don't forget playing with mercury, also very politically incorrect these days. Thy even finding some merthiolate or mecurichrome (which I assume contain trace amounts of mercury) these days in the drug store!! It really is amazing that any of us are still around :)

Bill

Offline Mosey

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 10:51:43 PM »
We used to chase the roofers around when we were little, to pick up pieces of coaltar, which we chewed like gum. Tasted lousy, but no one would admit that to the other guys.

As for moth balls, see article below.

Are Moth Balls Harmful?
"By Jill Davis, eHow Contributor

Are Moth Balls Harmful? thumbnail   
Mothballs prevent holes in costly clothing, but are harmful to humans.

In your grandmother's day, mothballs were a common insecticide used inside the home. Mothballs were stored in closets and dresser drawers to protect precious wool sweaters and out-of-season-clothing from moths, mice and silverfish. Although they are still used, we know now that the chemicals used in mothballs are harmful to humans, pets and the environment, and they are possible carcinogens".

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 12:08:45 PM »
OK Mosey...I'll bite.....

Why would a young Mosey want to chew on a piece of coal tar?.....inquiring minds want to know :headscratch:

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Mosey

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 01:46:52 PM »
Because my mother said not to do it, and all of the other little outlaws in the neighborhood did it, and because the girls thought it was bad, etc.

Offline ScroungerLee

• Southwest Connecticut, US, North America, Earth
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 01:50:47 PM »
My Mum said she chewed tar from road paving (without aggregate I presume) as a wee child.  She claims it kept her teeth white.
Lee
Mmmmm.... Shiny!

Offline markmc

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 01:49:29 PM »
I found stuff a few months back called acf 50 as my shed is not heated and my mill table etc gets rusty very quick i tried all sorts of stuff to protect them, very little worked as the makers calmed but this stuff is great. It says to spray it on but i find a brush works alot better, it's expensive but if it does the job who cares. one treatment lasts at least a year they say but that's for motorbikes it will probably last allot longer out of the weather. I put some on a bit of mid steel (just machined it clean) and left it outside a few days in our lovely irish wet weather, not a spot of rust. It protects electrics too pc boards etc. It was 30 odd quid for just under a litre of it and i've covered all my bare metal tools with it and barely used 50ml of it. Very happy with it so far.

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 03:51:23 PM »
I dunno Dave, I think that Goldstar31 just called you a queen?  :lolb: :lolb: I don't think that the boyz would enjoy silk drawers too much and the camphor, man that would BURN LIKE CRAZY,,,,Whew!! :whoohoo:

BC1
Jim

Goldstar31

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 04:31:28 PM »
I dunno Dave, I think that Goldstar31 just called you a queen?  :lolb: :lolb: I don't think that the boyz would enjoy silk drawers too much and the camphor, man that would BURN LIKE CRAZY,,,,Whew!! :whoohoo:

BC1
Jim

My remark was far more subtle than that. I forgot that there is a difference in humour.  :shrug:

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 04:39:04 PM »
It's all taken in absolute jest to be sure.  :ThumbsUp:  A little fun with a play on words is all. My shop does not get too much humidity but I may resort to a few camphor cakes in the tool cabinet just in case. Of course that would remind me of the MIL's house, it ALWAYS had that not so subtle 'aroma'. You get used to it after a bit though.

BC1
Jim

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 12:08:10 PM »
I found stuff a few months back called acf 50 as my shed is not heated and my mill table etc gets rusty very quick i tried all sorts of stuff to protect them, very little worked as the makers calmed but this stuff is great. It says to spray it on but i find a brush works alot better, it's expensive but if it does the job who cares. one treatment lasts at least a year they say but that's for motorbikes it will probably last allot longer out of the weather. I put some on a bit of mid steel (just machined it clean) and left it outside a few days in our lovely irish wet weather, not a spot of rust. It protects electrics too pc boards etc. It was 30 odd quid for just under a litre of it and i've covered all my bare metal tools with it and barely used 50ml of it. Very happy with it so far.

dont keep us in suspenders  what is it
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

fcheslop

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 12:54:09 PM »
ACF50  Aviation MIL-SPEC81309 :ThumbsUp: Used for a few years now .No rust problems and the oil additive they sell does exactly what it says on the bottle.
I had a  spare motor cycle  engine in long term storage about 15 years with there oil additive not AC50 in and its restarted no problems as to whether it was the additive or just good luck who knows but for what it costs I lay my bikes up with this additive and have not had any problems with rusting or condensation
That's my 2p for what its worth

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal