Author Topic: Raynerd's Cowells ME Lathe  (Read 23902 times)

Offline craynerd

• www.raynerd.co.uk
Raynerd's Cowells ME Lathe
« on: January 06, 2013, 11:11:37 PM »
Hello, I just wanted to post my little Cowells lathe on here as there seem quite a few of you on this forum with a Cowells! I put this post on the sister forum Madmodder, so some of you will likely already have seen it.

This actually is a very early cowells. In fact, after a couple of brief chats with the director over at cowells, he is pretty sure that this is one of the very early cowells just after the transfer from Perris lathes. The big give away is the absence of the cowells casting "stamp" on the bed. In actual fact, my lathe is likely to be a Perris made bed sold under the new name of Cowells. All fairly immaterial since the design has not changed.

The lathe came with very little in the way of tooling and accessories but for the price I could afford, I'll have to add these as I go.  Cowells is still going strong and so all parts are readily available, but sadly at a price! -  check out their website for more details.

The lathe came with a 3 jaw chuck but no key and I'm really really still struggling sourcing a key! I`ve had an opportunity to take it to rdg and one other local tool shop and neither could help. Cowells have no key as they have changed chuck and although the chuck is apparently a Toyo made and now Proxxon chuck, it seems impossible to find the key alone! Next step would be proxxon alone but all the UK suppliers say they can not get the key. Another option would be to drill a few holes around the scroll and close it with tommy bars. Not the best idea, but an idea at least!

I have also added an ER16 collet chuck since it is a good scale size for this lathe and I already have a set of collets.

The standard ME lathe came with the change wheel set for the auto traverse gearing but not with the suitable gear cutting change wheels so obtaining these was first on my "to do" list. I now have a full set of gears including some teeth count that should give me imperial BA threads on this metric lathe as discussed in another thread here. I need to learn to use the standard change wheels before playing with the alternative tooth count sets.

Blank gears:

The cut gears after returning from being hobbed, including the extra few...

The tail stock is a zero morse taper. I was lucky enough to pick this threaded original cowells arbor and original cowells sold chuck off eBay very reasonably priced.

I'd like an independent 4 jaw as soon as I can afford one.
Secondly is a quick change tool post and I`ve got the materials for this, just need to find the time.
For completeness, I'd like a fixed and travelling steady at some point soon. 

Really enjoying this lathe so far! Thanks for looking.
Chris

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Raynerd's Cowells ME Lathe
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 11:31:00 PM »
Cool post!
It never ceases to amaze me all the types of lathes that are/were available and their history.
Can you make, or have made for you, a key?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 11:53:01 PM »
The Cowells are lovely looking and, I'm told (no personal experience), very precise little machines.

I've always wondered about that cantilevered bed though.  Why did they do it?  Does it have any deleterious effect on the accuracy or rigidity of the lathe?
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 01:13:13 AM »
Hey Chris,

If I recall, the Cowells has a 1/2-20 thread......though that may be wishfull thinking on my part

I would check Sherline products for a good 4 jaw.   They make their chucks with other threaded back plate sizes.....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 01:20:07 AM »
I've always wondered about that cantilevered bed though.  Why did they do it?  Does it have any deleterious effect on the accuracy or rigidity of the lathe?

Marv, I believe the main benefit is that you can just bolt it down without twisting the bed. Many of the English hobby lathes, such as old pre 7 series Myfords had cantilever beds

Steve

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 01:30:44 AM »
Ah  The Perris PL90 which was the forunner of the Cowells...had 1/2-20 UNF spindle threads.

So....unless Cowells changed it.....inquireing minds want to know

http://www.sherline.com/4jawipg.htm

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline craynerd

• www.raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 01:53:40 AM »
Thanks for the comments chaps. The original spindle was m14 x 1.5mm as the early cowells were. The Perris spindle was different again as you stated steamer,  so this was definitely cowells. However it has now been changed for a M14 x 1mm, it cost me a bit of money but gave me more flexibility. Besides, I managed to sell the old spindle for a decent price! The er16 chuck is a benefit of the new spindle!
Steamer -  I've seen the Sherline 4 jaw and that would be my preference for sure, but being in the uk I can't find anyone who supplies it in Europe with this thread, despite them showing it as an option on their website. Over the years I've become less inclined to order from the USA for fear of dreaded import tax but I may have to do just that! The other option is a Austrian made Unimat 4 jaw.

What I have been reminded of, off a user on here, is to be careful of fitting cheap critical parts that ultimately reduce the lathe from a fairly precise Cowells to a lesser lathe. I guess the lathe is only as good as the cheapest part. RDG tools do a 4 jaw with m14 thread for ?45!!! I must admit, I have considered how critical some things are with a 4 jaw only any misalignment would be taken up in centring the work anyway unlike for example a 3 jaw or collet chuck?!?

Offline craynerd

• www.raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 02:06:53 AM »
Zeeprogrammer - I'm guessing I could make a chuck key. It was suggested over on madmodder forum. I've got loads of other really interesting ideas and projects on the go at the moment in building a clock and I've little time in the workshop  as it is with work and two kids. I'm not going to lie, the idea of making a key doesn't excite me right now but I'll just have to resign to the idea of having to make one if I can't buy one over the next few weeks! I'm certainly not willing to buy a new ?220 chuck for the sake of key that is for sure..!   I'm guessing I could use the scroll teeth to generate the profile of cutter but that would be single point and ideally I'd like a multi tooth cutter for a steel key! Then I'd need the angle, I guess that would be based on a centre line from the top of the scroll teeth to the pin centre. About to go to bed and making me feed worried just thinking about it!

Chris

Online sco

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 08:08:41 AM »
What I have been reminded of, off a user on here, is to be careful of fitting cheap critical parts that ultimately reduce the lathe from a fairly precise Cowells to a lesser lathe. I guess the lathe is only as good as the cheapest part. RDG tools do a 4 jaw with m14 thread for ?45!!! I must admit, I have considered how critical some things are with a 4 jaw only any misalignment would be taken up in centring the work anyway unlike for example a 3 jaw or collet chuck?!?

I came unstuck with a 'cheap' 4 jaw - I ordered the Proxxon 4 jaw which from the picture appeared to be made by Rohm - what arrived was a copy probably made in India.  The jaws were not ground parallel with the body axis which made it impossible to get stock to run true.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 08:49:08 AM »
As they say you get what you pay for.

The Sherline chucks are a reasonable quality and not all that expensive. Just needs a backplate made to fit the nose thread.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 11:51:12 AM »
All the recent posts on Cowells are fascinating mainly from the standpoint that its nice to see QUALITY of whatever vintage and knowing that it still exists even if at a price well beyond my means. But that raises a question...at the hefty asking prices...does anyone have any idea how many of these they sell on an annual basis. I would assume, maybe wrongly, that most find their way into the horology trades where money can be made from them as opposed to home hobby uses. Personally I hope the company can hang on...who knows, maybe my ship will come in one of these days :)

Bill

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 07:02:18 PM »
Agree with all the buy cheap, buy twice , get what you pay for notions to a certain extent, however, I've had 2 3-jaw Chinese chucks from axminster and they've both been very good. A new cheap chuck is certainly a lot better than an old worn chuck in my experience. Same with the rdg keyless chuck I have and Chinese er32 collet system. All v good. I know you won't want to do this but a lot if chucks this size simply have a hole or holes for a tommy bar drilled in the ring gear if you can't find or make a key! Depends whether you plan on selling it though.

Offline mzt

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 09:18:25 AM »
Craynerd,

http://www.toolsandco.it/en/proxxon-chiave-mandrino-di-ricambio-per-pd-230-e/s/1289/2/262/

This may be the key You're looking for (or a spare key for the TS drill chuck): You will want to check with them before purchasing.

I see You're hobbing Your own gears, making that missing key should not be a problem for You. Maybe it would, I have no experience into gear cutting.
I have that PD230 chuck, if You want me to take measurements on the key just let me know.
Marcello
This is a fitting job,
not a production job that can be measured in.

Offline craynerd

• www.raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 09:49:10 AM »
Hello Marcello. Yes that is indeed the chuck key and I emailed them to check it was in stock and confirm the pin size. To be honest, if the pin size was correct I would have had a punt on it despite the high postage costs. Unfortunately however, they replied to say it was in stock and they would email me again to confirm the pin but never got back in touch. I emailed them again to remind them and once again I got no reply! I`m a bit reluctant about sending them any money now!

cut gears after returning from being hobbed
  I didn`t hob myself Marcello. I did the blanks and sent them off to someone who offered for a very good price, almost trying to help me out! I`m not too sure he would take kindly to me sending him a chuck and asking him to make me a key  :hammerbash:   

I`ll give tools and co one more email and see if I get a reply.

Chris

Online sco

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 10:30:47 AM »
If it is a Proxxon key you might have more luck at their uk distributor Brimarc.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal