Author Topic: New DRO  (Read 3960 times)

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
New DRO
« on: January 06, 2013, 04:33:23 PM »
Hi

I have DRO's fitted to the X and Y axis of both my X1 and X3 mills. They absolutely transform the machines and I wouldn't do without them. The type I have are the cheaper scales with remote readouts plugged in. Not as good as the glass scales but are considerably cheaper. Last week after many years of good service the remote readout on the X axis of the X1 mill decided to give up. I checked the batteries and all the contacts etc and then sought the help of my mate Julian (Barneydog) who confirmed it was dead. Unfortunately the type I have with small socket connector on the scale are no longer available which is a great shame as there is nothing wrong with the scale itself although I must admit the connectors can be troublesome, the slightest ingress of dirt or oils can make them stop working.

The latest type are pre wired with a mini usb connection at the dro end, a better idea than the previous type. After a search round I settled on this one from arceurotrade (usual disclaimer) and at ?40.00 isn't too badly priced.

Its a 20" version that had to be cut down to the 16" I needed but cutting was very easy. Fitting didn't take long as all the brackets were already fitted to the table.

Heres the dro's, the new one on the top with old version below

It works fine and well worth the money.

Cheers

Rich

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
Re: New DRO
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 04:37:31 PM »
Is this new type DRO available in the US? I'd like to add something like this to my MicroMark mini-lathe.

Chuck

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 04:54:05 PM »
Micro mark has them so does Grizzly.

Don

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 04:57:07 PM »
Hi

I'm pretty sure arceurotrade ships overseas.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/default.aspx

Cheers

Rich

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 05:11:20 PM »
Thanks, Don and Firebird. I just got the latest catalog from MicroMark yesterday and didn't see it. I'll look again.

Chuck

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 05:27:08 PM »
I checked out both sources. Grizzly has the better prices.

Chuck

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 05:36:51 PM »
Hi Chuck

Purely out of interest how much is a 20" version in the US.

Cheers

Rich

Offline black85vette

• Rick in Yukon, OK
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 06:16:05 PM »
Hi Chuck

Purely out of interest how much is a 20" version in the US.

Cheers

Rich

I got one the first long versions direct from Igaging, the importer.   Eagle America was one of their first sellers and still runs some pretty good deals.  These were really engineered for wood work and require some care to keep swarf out of the pick up.  Not sure what they are going for at other dealers.  Here is a link to their site;

http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v424-0160/measuring_and_layout

At those prices I would just order the 35" and cut to size.  Then keep the spare rail pieces as spare, replacement or if a longer one is needed.

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 07:35:14 PM »
I suggest that you look at the sealed ones from Grizzly, not the ones for woodworking. They have been good for me.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal