Author Topic: Graduating Tool  (Read 15642 times)

Offline ScroungerLee

• Southwest Connecticut, US, North America, Earth
Re: Graduating Tool
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 05:49:55 PM »
Nice write up, thank you.  I am adding this to my file of things to make when needed for a project.

Lee
Mmmmm.... Shiny!

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 06:03:46 PM »
Very nicely done Don  :ThumbsUp:

I wish I had this tool for some of the jobs I did in the past...  Would have made life a whole lot easier  :)

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 12:59:28 AM »
Thanks guys for your comments and I do hope you enjoyed the thread.

Don

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 01:07:52 AM »
Great write up Don!   Well Done! :praise2: :praise2: :praise2: :praise2: :praise2:
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2013, 04:59:22 AM »
Great tool and a good write-up. How many times do you push the handle for each line; just once, or several?

Simon

Offline rudydubya

• Western Arkansas USA
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 06:54:47 AM »
Nicely done and documented Don.  Thanks for sharing.   :ThumbsUp:

Regards,
Rudy

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 02:19:08 PM »
Almost missed this. Glad I hadn't.
Very nice tool. Thanks for posting this. I'm sure it will be helpful to a lot of people.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2013, 02:47:36 PM »
Thanks Carl, Ruby, Dave and Simon for you comments.
Simon it only takes one stroke per line. Once you set your cross slide  to depth of cut. These are dials so you don't want to cut to deep..

Don

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 05:34:36 AM »
Only just caught it Don. Very nice little tool that

Steve

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 03:02:06 AM »
Nice tool Don. Very similar to the one posted in the latest MEB. Its on my 'tools I want list' Dunno why but think its a neat tool to make and your build log proves it  :ThumbsUp:
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 04:34:01 AM »
Thanks Steve and Pete for looking in. Pete I am sure you will find uses for it. I have a project coming up that will need graduating. One of the reason for making it. I also have a spherical turning tool kit that I will be doing as soon as I get a chance. When ever that will be, work is starting off great this year.

Don

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 01:57:39 PM »
Ok back to the turret and we needed to do a mark up of the outer parameter. First was to install the turret, ram stop bar which had been drilled earlier and rod clamp and nut along with the stop rod. The stop rod had to be sharpen to a fine point so we can now scribe the line, it will be rounded off after this. After scribing the line the turret was move to the mill on to the RT for drilling our stop holes. These stop hole will set the length of the scribe lines when making dials, We have three holes to drill. The first point on the turret is zero position and this will be where we put the set screw. The middle hole will be our ones depth and the two other will be the 5 and 10 hold depth. I made these .075,.150 and .150. After completing these holes we need to reassemble it back on the ram cylinder for mark up of the detent holes. Now that we have the stops for the stop rod to lock in using a transfer punch to mark the parameter with four punch marks one for all detent positions.

getting ready to scribe the line for drilling the stop holes

drilling out the stop holes in the outer parameter

marking out the detent holes on the top of the ram cylinder. Remember this was the holes we did not want to drill at the bigging of the thread so we could get good alignment.

a start at making the handle drill out the slot. I first predrill holes smaller and finish with the final size mill.

I then move it over to the rounding table to round off the ends.

the handle all complete with knobs.

I would love to know more about your "rounding table", please.
Mosey :noidea:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 12:57:10 AM »
Mosey the Rounding table is nothing new, Cedge did a post on it on MEM I just winged it and built what I saw. Marv also has a Rounding table on his site. It is a 6"  table with a center hub in bottom with a 5/16 rod sticking out. The set screw you see on the bottom holds the center rod snug and allows adjustment of its height. The bottom hub is made from 1/2" aluim rod. The set screw pushes another piece of aluim rod to act as a brake, thus this holds the center rod. A slot is also milled on the side to allow the endmill to go below the work you are working on. On the bottom is a piece of 1" x 1" aluim bar to hold the table and the brake. The table is attached to it. Also holes are drilled in the slot of the table to allow Swarfrat to pass through. It is really a very simple setup but works great.

Correction on the rod it is a 3/16 rod or could be smaller if desired or bigger.it all depend on how small or large of radius you want to do, and by making it smaller you can make small reducers for bigger holes.

Don
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 03:42:01 AM by Don1966 »

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2017, 02:35:47 PM »
Don't confuse activity with progress

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal