Author Topic: Opinions on a mill  (Read 5103 times)

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
Opinions on a mill
« on: January 03, 2013, 08:49:56 PM »
Hello all.

I am hoping that in a few weeks I will be in a position to buy a milling machine. Naturally, I have been researching mills, and have asked this question around the interwebz to get a good spread of opinions.

If I can find a decent used bridgeport, I will go that route, but since good quality used machinery seems difficult to find at a low price, I am naturally looking at the imported machines.

I think a small mill will do the job fine, and I was considering the Grizzly range, particularly the G0619. In fact I had just about settled on that, but Grizzly just released this:

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2013/Main/598

I have to tell you, I am quite excited about this mill, as it seems to have taken all my favourite aspects from the mills I have been considering, and plonked them into one machine.

It has a nice 2HP 220V motor, and it looks like it does not use the converter electronics board - which I am happy about. I have a 220V circuit wired in for a mill already, so I really wanted to make use of that feature rather than have a control board handle it. Plus the extra "oomph" of the motor is a good thing. Possibly even a higher grunt motor than is really needed - and I am OK with that.

I am still waiting for fully detailed specs to be published, and also the manual (I like to have a good look through those documents before buying 0 you can raise / answer a lot of questions that way), but this is looking good. Nice size table, square column, beefy construction.

The downside - six speeds. Is this enough? The speed range is 90 through 1970 rpm. Does this seem adequate?

As always - very interested in any thoughts and opinions, but this tool looks like it may well be just the job.

I don't anticipate getting into full size engines - a scale steam tractor is my ultimate model engineering goal.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Opinions on a mill
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 11:27:04 PM »
Looks interesting to me. I can't provide any input but am interested in seeing what others say.
And, if you do go that route, a detailed post about receiving it, setting it up, and using it would be highly desirable.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline 1hand

• Wisconsin, USA
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 12:59:32 AM »
Hi and welcome. I was born and raised there in MN, nice place to be.

I have a g619 and converted it to CNC. The variable speed is nice and will miss the hell out of it when I get a Bridge clone someday. G619 is a good mill, but has limits as every machine does. I want to work with more steel and take heavier cuts, so I'm looking to upgrade. Mills are like work shops, ain't never big enough!

Matt

Arbalest

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 10:27:13 AM »
That's a very nice looking mill. I don't much like what I've heard about some variable speed stuff so I'd be happy with the geared head. Looks to have reasonable capacity and a powered "y" so what's not to like!

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 01:18:55 PM »
That's pretty much what I thought. I have heard both +ve and -ve things about the 110V driven variable speed stuff, and am a little leary of it. I am sure those are nice mills, but I think the simplicity of the 220V motor gear drive is a winner. I haven't yet come up with a reason not to go for this mill, so with a bit of luck in february I'll pull the trigger. I shall certainly post a review in that case.
Stuart

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 01:22:35 PM »
I have a belt driven Prazimat mill, earlier versions were gear driven and notoriously noisey.

The Prazimat mills also used to strip the gears, which is what I have hear about some of the little SEIG milling machines.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 01:29:54 PM »
Now there's a genuine point of concern. Hmmmm.

I might see if I can go and visit the showroom before buying. Might be worthwhile, especially as this is a new model.
Stuart

Arbalest

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 02:07:08 PM »
Jo has a valid point. It would be worth hearing one running. The small Chinese stuff have/had plastic gears, I expect that big fella will have steel gears so stripping the teeth should be unlikely - not had any problems on my geared small lathe.  ;)

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 02:11:55 PM »
I think I'll shoot a note to Grizzly and ask them what material the gears are made of.
Stuart

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 01:51:14 AM »
I went to visit a couple of friends today, to look at their Grizzly mill. Lo and behold - they happen to have an older version of the same mill, so I got to check it out a bit.

The gear drive on the old one (G0484 - now discontinued) is all steel. The older version had a 1.5HP motor. I haven't verified yet, but I would be surprised if the new version is plastic gears.

The G0484 is a pretty nice tool, and my friends have really been beating the snot out of it, so I am actually fairly encouraged by this.

I need to do a little more follow up, but if I can't find a decent used mill (no luck so far) then this is likely to be the way I go.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:21:12 PM by propforward »
Stuart

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 01:55:06 AM »
Well....nothing like a first hand account of a product.   I am told that Grizzly has good customer service and in my dealings with them, they have been very good.

Let us know how you make out!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 02:05:56 AM »
Will do. My lathe is a Grizzly, and I have been pleased with it, so I don't have a problem with buying from them again. If I buy this I'll do a detailed review. It could be a couple of months before that happens, I like to kick these ideas around a fair bit before laying out the cash. ;)
Stuart

Arbalest

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 10:45:04 AM »
Oh yes! I spent months going over all the options before choosing my mill. My budget was ?1000 but ended up spending ?1500 to get the mill I wanted. Glad I did as I enjoy using it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal