Author Topic: PMR 4CI & 6CI  (Read 13333 times)

Offline 1hand

• Wisconsin, USA
Re: PMR 4CI & 6CI
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 07:12:25 AM »
Today marks the start of my 46ci twin build. ;D

I started with the cross head that I cut off the mounting legs. I'm going to mill off the casting where the legs where attached. Getting both cross heads to look the same, I'm going to take off part of the ring on the bottom on both sides. I didn't really want to get rid of part of the ring, but blending it in just wouldn't of looked right the way the legs where cast into the cross head around the ring. So this will have to be repeated 4 times on the 2 cross heads, to make them look the same.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 08:07:24 AM by 1hand »

Offline 1hand

• Wisconsin, USA
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 07:31:26 AM »
While the cross head is on the mill, I started on the cylinders. I marked some lines for how much of the top and bottom of the cylinder I wanted to remove. I removed some of the casting marks on the inside of the bore for my expanding mandrel.

Offline 1hand

• Wisconsin, USA
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 07:51:56 AM »
I added a piece of cold rolled to the cylinder to counter balance the piece in the lathe.

Spun the cylinder at 300rpm with very little vibration.. :)

Then faced one end of the cylinder. Had to remove about .340". This cast cuts really nice on the lathe. ;D:-) :-)

Matt

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 08:17:17 AM »
]

Spun the cylinder at 300rpm with very little vibration.. :)

That looks scary. :hellno:

What you need is a keat angle plate. ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline 1hand

• Wisconsin, USA
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2013, 08:51:07 AM »
Jo,

It wasn't as bad as it looks, but some angle plates are on the top of my to get list ;)

Offline 1hand

• Wisconsin, USA
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 08:51:32 AM »
Next I took the cylinder out of the lathe and laid the faced side down on my face plate. I set it up on some flat washers to give me some clearance for the boring bar when I punch out the bore. I added some bed clamps as counter balance also.

Then back in the lathe with the centering indicator.

That's it for today, after 5 hours the shop is a disaster again! Time to find the bottom of the bench again and start boring the #1 cylinder tomorrow and work on the other side of the first cross head.

Matt

Offline 1hand

• Wisconsin, USA
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 05:02:40 AM »
No machining today, started to clean up the shop. I had it looking real good and was going to start back on the engine and then came the idea to add some more benches. So I did.....18 more feet! It looked a little dark, so I wired up a few more lights also. So now the rest of the shop is a mess again with wood working and electrical stuff now. Its in worst shape now than before..... ::)

Offline TerryWerm

• Jordan, MN - 6147 nice folks and one grouch!
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 05:12:41 AM »
This looks like a neat project and I will be looking forward to following it as it progresses.  Thanks, 1hand!
----------------------------
Terry
Making chips when I can!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 12:55:10 PM »
Check those washers are the same thickness before you bore.   It's important to get the bore dead square to the lower cylinder head flange...so take your time here and really check them.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 02:25:15 PM »
Looks like you are off to a good start Matt, I like the addition of work benches you can ever have to many.i I find when I work, that gremlins keep moving my tools as I can't seem to find them after I have layed them down even with more work space. Great start on your project Matt.

Don

Offline 1hand

• Wisconsin, USA
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 03:10:29 PM »
Check those washers are the same thickness before you bore.   It's important to get the bore dead square to the lower cylinder head flange...so take your time here and really check them.

Dave

I was going to use parallel bars laid flat to get the cylinder off the face plate but I
couldn't keep them out of the bore and out of the way of the clamps. The cylinder flange is thinner than the raise on the clamps, so I need the clamps a bit below the cylinder to get them to work. I need to loosen it up to get centered on the lathe anyway, so I'll try the parallel again sticking out between the clamps. At least I know their ground flat.

Thanks,
Matt

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal