Author Topic: Back to basics - Elmer's #25 Wobbler  (Read 24135 times)

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
Re: Back to basics - Elmer's #25 Wobbler
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 06:24:55 PM »
a simple honest quickly-built model that does not hide the flaws that crept in along the line.

You're too modest, Arnold.  I'll bet there are legions of novices out there who would like nothing better than the ability to produce such a "flawed" model.

Well done, indeed, and kudos for your decision not to turn it into a blinged-out imitation of jewellery.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 06:39:26 PM »
You're too modest, Arnold.  I'll bet there are legions of novices out there who would like nothing better than the ability to produce such a "flawed" model.

I certainly agree with that. Nicely done Arnold.

Too fast though!  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline rleete

• Rochester, NY USA
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 07:30:58 PM »
a simple honest quickly-built model that does not hide the flaws that crept in along the line.

Well done, indeed, and kudos for your decision not to turn it into a blinged-out imitation of jewellery.

Agreed.  If I ever get to that point I'll be satisfied.  Seems like he turns out an entire project in hours.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 11:36:01 AM »
Well done Arnold and a very nice runner.  Don't be sleeping too long now on the next project...after all...Spring is just around the corner. Seriously though, a great build log that I feel sure will benefit many of us so thanks for doing it.

Bill

Offline Inky Engines

• NE Derbyshire, UK
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 11:50:58 AM »
Brilliant Arnold,  not just the finished engine, but your ability to make such an interesting  build log from even a relatively straightforward design.

I await your 'what's next' decision with interest.

Kind regards

Geoff at Inky Engines.

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
Back to basics - Elmer's #25 Wobbler
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 12:37:32 PM »
Nice 1 Arnold.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 12:55:46 PM »
Ok... lets see if I can get my DTC running again in the same time it took you to machine, build and get yours running.

Please don't finish any more engines before I get the DTC running. It is soooo embarrassing ;).

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 02:21:12 PM »
Good show. Nice pics. Useful tips.  Fine results. What more could you want from a build post?  :noidea: Speed!

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 02:59:14 PM »
Bravo!! A real beaut' that one is. Simple and basic with nice clean lines. I like the heavier base. Been considering building one of these for some time now.

BC1
Jim 

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 09:49:42 PM »
What an excellent thread. Thanks for posting all this. I am currently working on this engine myself. It is the first model engine I have attempted, and you have provided a ton of useful tips here. Cheers!
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 12:31:03 AM »
Nicely done Arnold you are a speedster. You have made it look all to easy. Nice runner and thanks for the shot by shot of your progress. I have enjoyed following along.

Don

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 11:35:31 AM »
Many thanks to all  :praise2:

Welcome to MEM Prop  :) - I'm glad you're finding some useful tips.  Please don't be bashful, and post up a bit on your build as well; I'm looking forward to see it, as I'm sure are the other members  :ThumbsUp:

I've not yet decided what to build next - have to give Jo a bit of a chance to catch up  ;)

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 01:24:57 PM »
Thanks Arnold,

I'll post up a few pics of my build over the weekend maybe. It's been slow progress. Technically I have made two (in some cases three heh  :embarassed:) engines so far, as not everything came out right first time.  ;D

But, things are improving, so I'll get down the shed tomorrow and see if I can make some progress.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Thayer

• Connecticut, USA
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 02:57:42 PM »
Don't worry about the "extra" parts. It doesn't take long to realize among folks actually cutting metal, there are those of us who have made them and those of us who lie about it.

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 03:47:35 PM »
I'll post up a few pics of my build over the weekend maybe. It's been slow progress. Technically I have made two (in some cases three heh  :embarassed: ) engines so far, as not everything came out right first time.  ;D

Don't worry about the "extra" parts. It doesn't take long to realize among folks actually cutting metal, there are those of us who have made them and those of us who lie about it.

Yes, like Thayer said, don't worry about it.  Of my own lot, this was one of only very few engines where I didn't have to shove some parts on the "Wall of Learning" - or lost them to the shop monster  :)
I do tend to make less bad parts now, but when they go wrong, it's usually rather spectacular - and good for a nice chuckle at myself; it does not help to get discouraged or angry.  Fortunately with these little bar-stock engines the cost in material is not too high. 
It's sometimes good to try a repair as well - I've done it on a couple of occasions.  Less than perfect, but I'd like to think it's good practice for when I can graduate to a nice set of expensive castings - and be able to repair things if I make a booboo on those.  Once I get my hands on castings, just binning them after a mistake will not be an option!

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal