Author Topic: Another Shed/Workshop?  (Read 19778 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Another Shed/Workshop?
« on: December 29, 2012, 08:07:04 AM »
I mentioned in my original thread about my workshop: http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,839.0.html that I had sufficient space behind my current garage/workshop to build another shed workshop. Well yesterday I took the tape measure out to see what was possible ;).

If I assume I want to leave say an 8ft clearance gap (for bringing models around into the play area) between this new building complex and the old garage I have 32ft of good building space. I don't want it too deep, the current workshop 21ft length is a bit long as it needs the lights on at the far end during dark winter's days. 16ft wide would fit nicely sort of ?corner to corner? to the main garage. But then I thought I could add an annex at right angles along the far boundary say 10ft wide by 20ft, which would allow the workshop area to increase if I wanted without have a visual impact on the garden :cartwheel:.

Now a 32ft by 16ft workshop is a little bit big to heat so maybe I need to split it up. I definitely need a decent pair of doors on the end to allow large machine tools to be brought in, double glazing. Then there is the need for a storage area for all of those come in handies :whoohoo:.

Early thoughts any suggestions from anyone? And yes the double doors will have vehicular access ;).

Jo 
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
Re: Another Shed/Workshop?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 09:45:55 AM »
Hi Jo,

I am also contemplating a new shed, and recently had the site levelled and put in vehicular access. I am planning a concrete slab with in-slab heating, as I find warmth to be useful! Where I live it gets cold enough to want (but perhaps not warrant) such a luxury, and would effect it with a hydronic system. Even in winter, we are not (generally) short of sunshine for water heating. Anyway, thems me druthers.

Not at all being familiar with how your site is set up, if possible have it facing south (the opposite of my southern hemisphere north) to maximise sunlight and heat storage. A building that never sees the sun will never be pleasant to work in. Be careful with the double garage doors, very difficult to make airtight, and harder to keep them that way, no matter what they're made of. They can look great, though. Services are very important, power, water, telephone.

I'm sure you'll get lots of advice from here as everyone builds their own dream workshop for you, so may I suggest design by committee? You may be allowed final say.

Hugh.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 10:14:38 AM »
Jo are you saying a new 16x32 or adding 16x16 to your existing to give 16x32 workshop area plus the car parking space?

Regarding the 8ft gap I would consider roofing that over then you have a covered area where you could do things like welding, forging and steaming engines which would be well ventilated but out of the rain.

The main thing is to allow room to set up your next project like this

http://www.stationroadsteam.com/News%20archive/July%202004/cp/pages/cp-f.htm

J

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 10:24:38 AM »
No it would be a totally separate 32ft by 16ft building, plus the extension. With potentially a 40ft by 15ft length that could be covered which would be for vehicular access/wood storage, you could park cars in it if you wanted to but then I don't use one of the existing bays in the garage for car parking. As for car parking: I think the record was 18 2CVs parked in my front garden, assuming you count 2CVs as cars.

;D That is the sort of thing I was thinking of, except that I wasn't thinking of cramming the models under construction in the same area as the tools. And I was thinking of keeping the existing workshop in the garage and adding another couple of areas in the new building.

Jo
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 10:54:57 AM by Jo »

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 11:06:06 AM »
I would try and organise it so you have dedicated activities in certain areas.
I mean all grinders and linishers together, all woodwork together. Painting in its own area etc.

Phil

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 01:25:13 PM »
Wot Phil Says!

...and I need a sketch...but I'm all for more space!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 02:19:16 PM »
Outline sketch as requested. I have added a possible position for double doors to provide vehicular access on the end of the main area.

Jo

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 03:12:43 PM »
OK....so what's in the Courtyard...? 8)

Looks good from here.....are you going to roof over the middle as an open shelter?

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 03:51:23 PM »
The courtyard is for  :embarassed: flower beds and a central flat grass for outside play area, or it could be paved if the need arose. Roofing it over would be a wind trap as the prevailing wind is south westerlies.

Down the back of the main garage would not suffer from the wind so that 43ft could be "roofed" but if I need covered work space I do have a 20ft by 23ft area in the main garage available if I leave my car out, so is it worth it?

Jo

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 04:27:40 PM »
Jo

That's a factory not a workshop  ;D

Phil

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 04:36:39 PM »
The courtyard is for  :embarassed: flower beds and a central flat grass for outside play area, or it could be paved if the need arose. Roofing it over would be a wind trap as the prevailing wind is south westerlies.

Down the back of the main garage would not suffer from the wind so that 43ft could be "roofed" but if I need covered work space I do have a 20ft by 23ft area in the main garage available if I leave my car out, so is it worth it?

Jo
?
To answer that Jo, I would need to understand exactly what it is you want to do....so let me turn it around....would YOU find it worth it?
Is your required answer based on return on investment monitarily?...or intellectually?

I mean....building model engines isn't done for the money....unless you holding out on us?  If it gets you where your "floatin the boat"...thats what you need to do!   Right?

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 05:16:37 PM »
I don't like the idea of several separate "shops" you will be forever flitting back and forth between them which also adds to teh problem of heating - do you heat them all or have one hot and then feel cold every half an hour when you go back into the other.

Having had a look at your workshop on photobucket my thoughts would be. (may be worth posting them here so people can see what you have to work with)

1. Make the new large building your garage and store the motorbikes, lawn tractor and the car if you currently house that all in the new main building. Have a covered in link to this from the existing.

2. Move the big Colchester, Harrison and any other big machines into the front of the existing building. Add an insulated stud wall behind one of the garage doors and draftproof & insulate the other

3.This will free up space in the current main workshop where you still have comfy milling and turning facilities and room for an assembled traction engine(s) Keep this as the main warm room to work in.

4. If you still feel the need for space then add double doors onto the end of the existing building and have an extension to house the hot & dirty work like welding, soldering, grinding, linishing, etc

J

PS Or just work in 11x8 shed like I do and let the rest out to asylam seakers to pay for your casting habbit.   :ThumbsUp:

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 05:28:34 PM »
The old addage that a wise friend of mine used....about shops...

A home shop needs to be :

Close
Comforatable
and Well lit

I like Jason's approach Jo....I think he knows your shop layout better...I especially agree with the going in an out part being a real pain...1 place is good with a sheltered area for the dirty stuff....wish I had that....right now it's my driveway!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 05:37:49 PM »
You are missing an important point that Cherry Hinds once told me: "There comes a point in one's life where you need two workshops". Let's call it a risk reduction exercise: a workshop is a very personal space :embarassed:.

No the garage will remain as a garage for cars, I have two bays and they are easily accessable by cars with easy turning, this new building the 18ft wide access is not really suitable for daily use. And I do keep contemplating a little sports car for playing with in my retirement ;D.

Jo

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park. RSA
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 06:27:07 PM »

And I do keep contemplating a little sports car for playing with in my retirement ;D .

Jo
Mmm............... could be a short lived retirement  :lolb:

Go and talk to an Architect - they are a wealth of info. Unless of course it is a shed.  :LittleDevil:
 :cheers:
DaveH

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal