Author Topic: Ancient Lorries with Monster Engines!  (Read 8836 times)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Ancient Lorries with Monster Engines!
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2018, 04:59:02 PM »
Splendid  :praise2:  :praise2: When I was in England I was involved with the University of Southampton's Dennis Charabanc (Toastrack) as well as with Robert Jowitt's ex Paris Renault buses. This is where you learn different working techniques like using a jack at the end of the spanner to tighten the differential pinion flange nut  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2018, 06:12:28 PM »
When  my dad was a firefighter, his main task was Chief Mechanic.    I was bout 12 at the time, and my favorite truck was the 29' Seagrave city duty ladder truck.   It had a 903 cubic inch V12 with dual ignition and 4" dual exhausts.   It would shake the floor when you started it up but what sweet music it made.  If I can find a picture of it I'll post.    Twin distributors and 4 ignition coils   My dad said it was tuned as (4) 6 cylinder engines, and would drive mechanics nuts, so he would do all the Seagraves in this part of the state.   

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2018, 06:26:18 PM »
Here it is....A good bit before my time.   Date of the photo is 46'...but that's the truck!

I think it was actually a 42'Seagrave..I think I'm thinking of the old 29' Ahrens Fox pumper...different beast
Damned ijjit!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2018, 06:29:25 PM »
And that is what I remember...though not the same truck

Instead of red, the ignition wire loom was polished nickel

Damned ijjit!

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2018, 10:45:57 PM »
Thanks for posting. Those are Great Old Trucks.

ShopShoe

Offline Old Bill

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2018, 10:56:34 PM »
Hi Roger. I well remember the Toastrack. I looked after a James and Browne motor car when I was a student and that set me off on road transport. My model engineering skills came in handy at that time. Of course, I now work for the Dennis company so the interest is still there.

Interesting to see the Seagrave. We have an FWD truck in the collection and Dad made an appointment to go to the FWD factory in Clintonville to see the factory museum. They are now trading as FWD Seagrave and were making the fire trucks to replace those lost when the twin towers came down. Incidentally, the factory hasn't changed since 1918 except for the surrounding fence!

Steve   :)

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2018, 11:12:16 PM »
Hi Roger. I well remember the Toastrack. I looked after a James and Browne motor car when I was a student and that set me off on road transport. My model engineering skills came in handy at that time. Of course, I now work for the Dennis company so the interest is still there.

Interesting to see the Seagrave. We have an FWD truck in the collection and Dad made an appointment to go to the FWD factory in Clintonville to see the factory museum. They are now trading as FWD Seagrave and were making the fire trucks to replace those lost when the twin towers came down. Incidentally, the factory hasn't changed since 1918 except for the surrounding fence!

Funny you say that.   We had 2 FWD pumpers. from the 50's   both had 6 cylinder Waukesha's at about 600 cubic inch.   big guys...Engine was 2500 pound by itself.  Great for getting deep into the local forest for brush fires.
Damned ijjit!

Offline Steam Haulage

• Notts UK
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2018, 08:26:29 AM »
For those that can make them out the lorries in my avatar were photographed in 1926, when my Dad was 23. You might see two 'operators, Dad and his Dad. My grandfathers business.

Jerry :old:
Dogs look up to you, cats look down on you, pigs treat you as equal.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2018, 05:51:37 PM »
Steve,
I have enjoyed this bit about trucks and their massive engines. I noticed that your engine is a T head. One of my favorite examples of this is the 1923 Pierce Arrow Series 33 engine shown here at the Gilmore Museum in Hickory Corner, Michigan.

This although not a truck, it was a 414ci (6.78litre) inline six and was popular in rum runner speedboats during Prohibition.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2018, 07:37:26 PM »
Hey art    the Seagrave is based on the Pierce Arrow and is a side valve as well
Damned ijjit!

Offline Old Bill

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2018, 07:44:13 PM »
Jerry. Those lorries certainly look like my era vehicles. Can you show a larger pic please? I do like seing these things!

Thanks Art. That is a most impressive machine! Another museum to put on my 'see it one day' list too!

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2018, 10:41:06 PM »
Dave,
I didn't know that of Seagrave, although my dad was a boiler operator, not a fire truck mechanic. But he could have joined your dad spinning wrenches and  have that thing running like a top! I did know P-A got into GM's cylinder war and towards the end built a V12.
Art
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 07:21:22 PM by Art K »
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Steam Haulage

• Notts UK
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2018, 02:36:41 PM »
Hi Old Bill,

Here is the pic of the two wagons, plus their operators, my Dad and his Dad. The location is at the foot of Grenfell Hill. Just past the pub the road swings to the right and uphill. I don't remember the gradient of that hill but i recall cycling up it in the school dinner break was hard work. Perhaps the engines were more powerful or more geared down than I thought.

They converted them to charabancs for seaside trips by putting in bench seats. I presume the floors were swept as well.

My Dad always looked back to those happy times. He told me they were Morris Commercials. I have been unable to check this.

Jerry
Dogs look up to you, cats look down on you, pigs treat you as equal.

Offline Old Bill

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2018, 09:04:16 PM »
Thanks for the pic Jerry. I reckon they are Albions, almost certainly war surplus, like this one. I don't think Morris Commercial ever built solid tyred vehicles. Albions were notoriously slow but would climb the side of a mountain.

Thanks for sharing!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2018, 11:05:12 PM »
Bet that was a rough ride on solid tires though  :insane: Loving these pictures!!

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal