Author Topic: Making a flywheel from scratch, my way  (Read 43333 times)

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
Re: Making a flywheel from scratch, my way
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 01:01:42 AM »
Good stuff John.  This is one of the many techniques that you have shown that have become the first option in my shop.  I use it frequently, not just for flywheels, but for other parts as well.  It is so useful that I was disappointed when it was deleted on that other forum because it is something that a newbie can really use.  I am glad to see it revived and posted here.

While using it, I have picked up a few useful modification to the method that I want to share.

Unless it is needed to clear the ways, I never bother to cut the corners off of the blank, ( I don't have a bandsaw ). 

When going from square to round, I take the deepest cut possible, using the full width of the cutting tool edge which is usually 3/8" to 1/2" and reduce the feed rate if necessary to prevent loss of drive.  I find that a deeper cut keeps the cutting tool in contact with the part for a longer and reduces the pounding of an interruputed cut.  Very sharp tool of course.

If the finished diameter of the part is less than the diameter of the closed jaws of the chuck, I put a small piece of hardwood between the jaw face and the part.  I can then cut into the wood and not worry about crashing into th jaws.  It also provides a good friction interface instead of
DS tape.

Jerry

PS:  I'm talking about the friction drive part of the post of course.  It is very applicable to  many jobs.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 01:08:31 AM by Captain Jerry »
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 02:04:11 AM »
That was spectacular!! The first time I actually understand the procedure that I've read in many places.
Thank you again
Stan
Best,
Stan

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 02:12:05 AM »
Thanks John for the class, I just wish I had read it before I built my third engine. I had a 3" flywheel with six spokes and made of brass. This was my first spoked flywheel and my only so far. i Used Autocad to calculate the dimension and distance and offsets which helped a lot. I held my breath the whole time I was milling. The one mistake I made was using the full size end mill first, so I had to do a lot of hand clean up. The other mistake was not drilling the hole around the flywheel parameter first. You have provided a very detailed way and correct way to make one and I thank you for that. Soft jaws are on my list of things to order.

Don

Arbalest

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 10:13:49 AM »
Chuck, if you're using a Mac you may see a small grey box titled "reader" in the address bar. If you click this box it opens the text and photos only in a new window. Then just go file, print, PDF, save as PDF. Job done!

Offline burkland

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 03:29:38 PM »
This is indeed a very nice write-up and very useful, especially for a beginner such as myself.   You mention a "trepanning/recess tool" which you use to cut the recess in the flywheel.  Can you describe or show what this tool looks like?

Andy

Bogstandard

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 03:44:16 PM »
Hi Andy,

I just grind them up to do the job, so nothing special.

They do chatter a fair amount in use, more so as you work towards the outer edge (more peripheral speed), so a polish up is usually necessary.

Here is a C-o-C to show you roughly the way mine are ground.

John

Offline Mayhem

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 05:02:33 AM »
John,

Whilst I don't make model engines, this post is the reason I am a member here.  So much of what you have shown and explained will help me in my own machining pursuits.  Thank you.

Bogstandard

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 01:31:38 PM »
Thanks Mayhem,

The reason I do such in depth posts is so that people like yourself can just pick up little snippets of info, even if you are not into making flywheels.

There are a lot of different procedures that can be used in all differing areas of machining.

John

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2012, 08:50:55 PM »
You can vastly improve the performance of John's tool by cutting a little notch in the face of it (cut off wheel in a Dremel)
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2018, 10:27:51 PM »
Beautiful flywheels!

Inspiring...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal