Author Topic: South Bend Headstock Tribulatons  (Read 2232 times)

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
South Bend Headstock Tribulatons
« on: January 01, 2013, 05:23:13 PM »
Well, after looking at the headstock cover for some years now, and getting grease on my left forearm frequently, I finally broke down and attempted to install the headstock cover on my 10K.
As you may know this is NOT a clean operation.
I drifted the pin out of the lever that engages the bull-gear, pushed the bull gear shaft out, and put the cover in place, only to find that my headstock has 2 rectangular ears on the casting sticking out the back side. Cover will not go on and rotate backward. Apparently this head stock is made for a fiberglass belt guard, not a cast cover.
So, I put it back together and washed all of the grease off me (most of it).
Anyone have a cover that fits? Is there such a thing? I doubt it.
The fiber glass cover, which I have, is junk. I don't like it's looks. It looks like it belongs on a 1954 Crosley (remember them?)(you could buy them at Sears along with Nash Metropolitans)( bet you don't remember them either).
So, continue to risk life and limb and get grease on my arm, and happily run the lathe forever.

This is an important lesson in why resolutions to change your style are always bad.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: South Bend Headstock Tribulatons
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 05:49:21 PM »
There is a fiberglass guard on Ebay at the moment for about $100....and it looks good....

But I'm not sure it fits what you have......

Dave

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal