Author Topic: Making Progress  (Read 3873 times)

Offline Charles Lamont

Re: Making Progress
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2023, 11:38:26 PM »
As I understand it, Jasonb has taken an illustration of an existing design as a basis, and produced his own design that is intended to have a similar appearance. I can't see any infringement of the forum guidelines.   

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2023, 11:41:45 PM »
As I understand it, Jasonb has taken an illustration of an existing design as a basis, and produced his own design that is intended to have a similar appearance. I can't see any infringement of the forum guidelines.   
I agree with you Charles.    My position is not about the subject matter.....It's the tone.   
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2023, 07:25:45 AM »
Dave can I ask who's tone?

As a Moderator can you answers the question I asked earlier and that has also been raised by Mike (Vixen) so I can avoid ruffling feathers in the future.

Well that is the section of the forum I have put about 15 other engines in where I have built my own version. So why kick up a fuss now?

Where would you suggest I post this build? It is not following a published set of plans, not from a casting kit, not a restoration so as far as I can see I only have "your designs" to post it in.

I'm also showing how I built it so it can't go in Showcase either.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2023, 07:43:20 AM »
My original query came from Jason's statement that he had started from a (part?) set of published drawings of this model from the Tee publishing booklet:

A reprint of the booklet mentioned in the above catalogue extract is still available from Tee Publishing and covers all the engines in the range with building notes as well as drawings so that is what I started with. As with my other recreations of long lost small engines I set to and redrew it in metric with a 12mm bore and 20mm stroke in Alibre, exporting some parts to F360 to make use of the CAM function to generate the G-code needed for the CNC mill.

In which case I would have put it in the built from plans area. In the past I have thought similar on a few of Jason's the other Stuart reproductions.  The world isn't going to end if it stays here.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2023, 07:55:43 AM »

I cannot see Stuart being fussy as the progress casting set is so cheap

P.S. The last sets of Progress SH castings I saw sold for sale were £25 each.

So Jo where did you see this £25, was it from Stuarts as your first statement the use of "IS" suggests they are still sold yet the second comment suggests you saw some second hand sets for sale?

The current price delivered of the only engine in the Progress range that Stuarts still sell is £129.70, I would expect that if they were still producing the SH it would be at least that if not a bit more as there are more parts and it's larger maybe £150. If you have the £25 shown in an old Stuart catalogue that would be quite interesting to see but for now I'm happy that it has cost me about £30-35 in materials which is not bad considering the cost of a progress flywheel alone is £26.30

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2023, 07:59:55 AM »
So Jo where did you see this £25, was it from Stuarts as your first statement the use of "IS" suggests they are still sold yet the second comment suggests you saw some second hand sets for sale?

Tony and Helen (who go to the midlands show and have a stall selling tools who I can't remember the name of ?J Tooling  :noidea:  :wallbang: ) picked up about 20 sets of castings for them some years back. I think they came from a Technical College or school.

:o Last time I looked the Progress was about £75 https://www.stuartmodels.com/product/stuart-progress-unmachined/  :paranoia:

Jo
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 08:03:03 AM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2023, 08:16:28 AM »
I just looked too £101 plus £8.50 postage plus vat, you should have snapped them up :D

PS HJ Tooling.

Offline Charles Lamont

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2023, 10:09:27 AM »
I think I should have read the OP more carefully.

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2023, 01:09:26 PM »
Hello Jason,

Now that the copyright nonsense has died down, can I ask you about the machining of the sloped, draft angle, surfaces?

Or more precisely a replica of the Stuart Models "Progress SH"

..... snip... 

This shot shows the results of an adaptive clearing tool path that leaves a series of steps on the sloping surfaces as they all have a draft angle to mimic the casting and one of the finishing paths has just started to work it's way down around the near bearing block boss.

...snip...

You appear to have used a radius (bull nose) cutter. So, what step depth and sideways stepover did you use? The steps are just visible in the photo shown, maybe due to the lighting. Did you need to file or rub down the surface, or was a coat or two of high build primer sufficient to hide the steps.

Cheers

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2023, 01:41:53 PM »
Afternoon Mike

The picture quote shows the result of the adaptive cuts which were done with a 3 flute standard length cutter around the sticky up bits and then I changed to a long series 4 flute one for the remainder as the total height of the part is 34mm which does not give me much to grip on teh standard 50mm OA length cutters. These were done 5 - 6mm deep x 0.6mm sideways step over then final steps up of 1mm which is what you can see

I have then started to do the 2degree draft angles using a 4 flute 6mm cutter with a 1mm convex corner radius, this is standard length 50mm OA but as cuts are very small (0.3mm material left from adaptive) I was happy to hold the slightly shorter than ideal shank. I have the ramp path set as a maximum stepdown of 0.25mm so the tool is constantly dropping as it makes each loop around the feature with no more than 0.25mm drop over the whole loop.

The ramp won't do the flat horizontal surfaces so I did tow "flat" paths, one for the top of the main solid base

And then another for the higher bits between the guide rail bosses

I think Chris mentioned early on that some of my fillets and corner radii were smaller than those shown on the catalogue image which they are as when I first started to draw this up I was thinking of using 2" wide stock which meant that I had to narrow the base and all the parts that fit to it to suit and one consequence of this was having to use the 1mm radius. Had I used say a 4mm 4-flute ball nose cutter the finish would be even better, I'll take a couple of close ups for you later

Having done the  :pinkelephant: when it fired up as soon as it was given a wisp of air I have now got it stripped down for final touches and painting and I'll probably give it a quick going over with a dremel grinding point to give a bit of "cast" texture. But base don other parts done in a similar way the surface is paint ready. This was the base for the Stuart Simplex Replica done with teh same cutter (getting a bit blunt now) the black specs are poor quality cast iron as I used an old multigym weight for that part

Apart from a quck deburr of teh edges this is it with one light coat of Upol High5, no sign or the near horizontal ramp passes down the sides

I did use the CNC quite a bit on this so as there seems to be interest I'll include those bits and some video clips.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 01:46:26 PM by Jasonb »

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2023, 02:33:34 PM »
Thanks Jason,

So the steps I could see (1mm steps) were the 2nd roughing (pre finish) cuts using a standard end mill. The finish cuts being done with a 1.0mm radius cutter in R/4 (0.25mm) steps; which explains why the were not visible in the later photos.

Nice work

Mike
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 02:56:16 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2023, 07:04:34 PM »
Yes thats it mike the photo shows the steps left by the adaptive.

I did get a couple of cans out this afternoon and gave it a quick squirt, With either standard or high build primer the surface is good enough to go straight to paint

High5 on th eleft, bare metal in the middle

Standard grey primer

All a bit academic now as I've hit it with the Dremel as well as a bit of body filler to fillet the joint between feet and bed

Talking of the feet this is how I did them. Popped a bit of scrap 3/8 x 1" black bar roughly in the vive, flattened the top, adaptive and two contour passes to get the oblong shape and then a couple of 3mm holes with a split point stub drill. Repeat 3 times. It's a lot easier than filing buttons :)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F38CMliuZfA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F38CMliuZfA</a>

I know some are interested in how long these things take, the computer says 3hrs 28mins for the bed, I would say it came out closer to 4hrs total which makes 3D printers look a bit slow and there is also no clean up required should I have wanted to machine this as a pattern rather than a part.

While we are still covering the bed I noticed that images of existing engines on the net did not have the lip running around the back of the bed which was shown on the GA drawing that I had initially found and started to work from. Once I found out that the booklet contained details of all the engines I bought that hoping for some clarity but it was just the same drawing.

Typical existing engine

Extract from GA

I can only assume that it was found easier to produce the casting without the lip at the back due to the overhanging cylinder bracket and it was omitted for production. Which is what I have also done, can't get replica detail like that simply by multiplying by 25.4 ;)

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2023, 10:08:07 PM »
 Somehow I missed all this.

Nice work Jason! I like what you're doing with it.

:ThumbsUp:

:popcorn:
John

Offline marcel

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2023, 11:23:56 PM »
book the stuart

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2023, 06:57:50 AM »
Those images and page from the booklet where what I used when I first started looking into this project, no doubt taken from the same site I used

https://www.ekt-modelle.de/Stuart-Progress-SH1.htm

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal