Author Topic: My Demon V8 build  (Read 156449 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Shop time
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2013, 02:14:03 PM »
Looking good Doc glad to see you back. Didn't know you had been under the weather, hope you are feeling OK.

Don

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2013, 06:10:24 PM »
Looking pretty good there Doc. Been feeling better?

I just noticed your links. I remember a couple of them.
The Ringboms look pretty neat. Is there a link to a build log for them?

Yes I did post the build here
Ringbom build

I have finaly been feeling better but now between my real job and things to do around thw house haven't found a lot of time for the shop.
Ain't that just the way it goes ;o(

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2013, 11:29:03 PM »
Well I have finished the lifter guides and lifters.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2013, 01:46:03 AM »
Nice job Doc, they look great. Are you making more then one here I see two setups? Actually it looks like three.

Don

Offline Rayanth

• Lake Stevens, Washington, USA
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2013, 03:43:16 AM »
Looking great, Doc! Better than my CAD draw-up of the same engine in Inventor. One of these years I'll get around to making it myself  ;)

-- Rayanth
---Please understand that I am a complete novice, and may take a very wrong path to doing things. Take my opinions and procedures with a grain of salt.
--- All photos taken with a Canon Rebel t1i and resized using "OptimumJPEG".
---Please alert me to any photos or links that do not load.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2013, 03:49:22 PM »
Nice job Doc, they look great. Are you making more then one here I see two setups? Actually it looks like three.

Don

Actually just one with a complete set of spare parts  ;) :Lol:
I have gotten into the habit of making 2  when I build one usually ends up with my Father-In-Law. The one that looks like a 3rd is just a set of the heads attached to the intake. :)

Thanks for the comments Rayanth and Don!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2013, 07:34:13 PM »
Sure looks like it's coming great!   How many are you building? :o

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2013, 11:53:03 PM »
Well with shop time getting harder and harder to find as the weather gets nicer I am making it official the V-8 build is being put up on the shelve until next fall.

Here are some pics first on the rockers in the racks I was making for them. Doing the rockers and rocker assembly a little different than the drawings. So until next fall it will be setting in the box on the shelve waiting for me.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2013, 12:22:16 AM »
Sorry to here that Doc, it was shaping up nicely.

Don

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2013, 12:27:31 AM »
That's a bummer Doc. But enjoy the summer. We'll be here when you start it again.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
Re: My Demon V8 build
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2014, 05:22:55 PM »
Ok I started doing some work on my V8 build last week after getting side tracked by making up a floating end mill holder to sharpen some end mills. I was intending on re-starting this build last fall but I did get a set up to sharpen all my end mills.
 Anyway that being said last week I made up a spark plug to ease myself back into build. The plug I made I wasn't happy with the material I picked out for the insulator and have since ordered a white Corian cutting board to cut up in pieces to use.

Here is a picture of the one plug I made. The material I used I thought was Corian yellow but I don't think it was.

Last night I cut up a couple pieces of stock for the cranks.

Clamped in 5C collet block and check to make sure they were centered and straight.

Clamped collet block to a knee up against 1-2-3 block clamped to knee to hold it straight.

Clamped knee to mill and center drilled the journal centers on both ends.

And now back to the shop to continue.

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2014, 06:16:53 PM »
Hello Doc!

I don't think that was corian. It looks more like teflon. The worst part of making the plugs is bending the electrodes without breaking them. Try to bend them around something with a curved corner. If you bend too sharp they will break. I make 50 bases in a run and after broken electrodes, cracked corian and just stupid stuff on my part I usually end up with 40 - 44 good pieces.

Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2014, 08:05:19 PM »
Haha I know what you mean I usually stand there and say to myself that was stupid and then mutter a few choice words and try it again.

The bending of the tang I have eliminated that by adding stock to the end and not drilling all the way through and go it with a flat bottom drill then mill out the tang. Not sure if I explained it enough but when I get my Corian and start back with the plugs I'll take some pics of how I'm doing it. I seen this process used by some one else on one of the boards I visit but can't remember where but I have used it on larger plugs and works like a charm on them and then you don't have to bend the tangs and have the chance of breaking or in my case getting them bent in the wrong place almost every time I tried.

Right now I'm building up a little holding plate to hold the crankshaft material to ruff mill out the journals to help with the lathe work. I've made a double throw crank but nothing like this and it does have me concerned. I'm going to ruff them out on the mill then make some snug spacer blocks to put it the gaps and hold in place will on the lathe with a zip tie. Anyway that's my plan of attack for now.

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2014, 09:08:42 PM »

Right now I'm building up a little holding plate to hold the crankshaft material to ruff mill out the journals to help with the lathe work. I've made a double throw crank but nothing like this and it does have me concerned. I'm going to ruff them out on the mill then make some snug spacer blocks to put it the gaps and hold in place will on the lathe with a zip tie. Anyway that's my plan of attack for now.

If you want I have a fixture designed to hold the crankshaft. I can send over a PDF if you like.

Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2014, 09:09:19 PM »
I modeled up a plug to try and show what I was talking about. the first pic is the turned up blank showing the inside. the next is the first side cuts on the mill. Then the last is the end of tang cut.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal