Author Topic: My Demon V8 build  (Read 156451 times)

Offline Doc

• USA ND
Re: Shop time
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 06:27:04 PM »
    Well as easy as it would be to go ahead and use nail material for the valves I've decided to not do it ans instead go with material I've used in the past for valves. I really don't want to have a valve fail on me on this engine. I'll maybe try it on some other first to see how they would hold up. I was kind of hoping some one out there had already tried this and get some info.  I'm felling a little under the weather today I think it maybe the flu I'm really dragging.

Thanks guys I'm about to jump to a new project I've been wanting to do for some time. I'm thinking of building a floating tool sharpener as I have a few end mills that could use some attention. I've started modeling it up in CAD and about ready to start making chips.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 11:11:58 PM »
I'd still be interested in knowing what people think of using nails as stock material.
Thought that was interesting.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 11:50:17 PM »
Doc, I agree with your decision to go with a known material. I haven't tried it so can't provide any feedbacl, but given the generally softer nature of nails in recent years I would be worried about possible bending or even stretching under the heat on the exhaust side especially if the valve springs were robust. Your project certainly deserves the extra time it may take to turn the valves from good material.

Bill

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 11:44:02 PM »
Well finally felt good enough to get some shop time in. Worked on turning up the valves and keepers ( purchased some A-2).
Those little e-clips are a real bugger to get in place but I did manage to get one head done. Still dragging a little and not feeling up to much. I did get material squared up and ready for the intake.
 Anyway I did get a little done today hope to get out in the shop tomorrow to it's suppose to storm all day so if I feel alright I plan on starting the intake next.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 05:04:26 PM by Doc »

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 08:13:17 PM »
Well went out for a little while this morning and made a couple setups on the intake and used my pin mike for the first time in I think about 6 or 7 years. I incorporated a couple tooling holes in the end of the manifold to measure to I hate measuring to a sharp edge and like to put tooling holes in where possible. They will be milled away when the intakes are completed. Anyway was feeling a little pooped so now I'm relaxing in the sun room soaking up some sun. It's about 3f degrees above zero but clear as can be and sunny so it about 90f in the sun room sure feels good.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 10:17:26 PM »
That's beautiful work Doc. You seem to be moving along pretty fast. Your pen on the engine show how small it really is and great work. Do you need my address to ship it to when you finish?

Don

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 10:41:44 PM »
That's beautiful work Doc. You seem to be moving along pretty fast. Your pen on the engine show how small it really is and great work. Do you need my address to ship it to when you finish?

Don

Hahahaha you might be waiting a long time. I was hopping to get the intake and valve train done before I put it away for the year and work on another project I want to get done but if I don't start feeling better it isn't going to happen.
  Thanks for the comment I checked out you photo album and must say I am very impressed you do some beautiful work! I really like the display you have set up with the light and generator NICE!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 11:24:11 PM »
Thanks Doc glad you enjoyed it.

Don

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 12:17:18 AM »
Well I got the program made for roughing out the intake and a holding fixture made. So tomorrow I make some chips fly (I hope).
After I rough it out I'll drill the ports then it will be back to making more valves.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 11:40:29 PM »
Well I finished up the intake manifold.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2013, 01:07:17 AM »
Well I have gotten valves  done and keepers done worked a little on the rockers today.
Was going pretty well untill i messed u and didn't tighten one down and munched it out.
So now I will be running another batch of blanks.

I think I am going to turn them upside down in the assembly that way the pressure will be to the thickest part and I can do away with the small relief for the valve keepers. I think it should work out.
  Been going pretty slow so many other things keep coming u keeping me from the shop.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2013, 01:12:37 AM »
I was also going to mention I got a chuckle I took the manifold to work to show it off a little to my co-workers and I got the reaction of where did I buy the forging from  :Lol: :Lol: So I was going for a forging look and it worked out. Anyway I got a chuckle out of it. And I do like how it came out I'm thnking of maybe anodizing it to a dark grey color if I can.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2013, 10:44:27 AM »
Looks great from here Doc!

Nicely done!   I need to get my mill set up....perhaps this morning I can put a dent in it.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2013, 10:56:25 AM »
Looking pretty good there Doc. Been feeling better?

I just noticed your links. I remember a couple of them.
The Ringboms look pretty neat. Is there a link to a build log for them?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2013, 01:05:07 PM »
Very nice work doc. Hope it also means you are feeling better.
Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal