Author Topic: Cyl drain cocks.  (Read 6325 times)

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
Cyl drain cocks.
« on: December 14, 2012, 09:01:50 PM »
Hi

I didn't want to post this in Stews Topic so i started a new one. I'm thinking of having a couple of drain cocks on the cylinder of my portable engine. I came across these on e bay. They have a 3/16 x 40 thread.

At only ?15.00 for the pair I'm wondering if its worth the effort of making them myself but then again I hate paying for something I could make.

Any info on how these work or could be made would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rich

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Cyl drain cocks.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 09:11:58 PM »
Just the usual tapered spindle in a matching tapered hole, cross drilled so a 90deg turn will open or close the cock.

You really want a very small pipe union on the outlet so the steam/water can be run in a small bore copper pipe down teh side of the firebox.

J

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 09:34:42 PM »
T'were me, I'd be snapping them up Rich - that's a good price for a fiddly-to-make item
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 02:15:59 AM »
I dunno Rich, after being witness to your caliber of work, I wouldn't think that doing up a couple of these little beasties would present that big of a problem. I'm not saying it would be a walk-in-the-park, but it should be no more difficult than some of the other thing you have labored to make. Some silver steel ground to shape would make for a good taper reamer.....  I guess it depends on how anxious I would be to get things done weighed against the cost.. hmmmm.  :stir:  Ah Hell, go for it. :happyreader:

BC1
Jim

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 09:04:08 AM »
Hi

Your powers of persuasion got the better of me Tel,  :cheers: so i have ordered some. I may be able to tap the hole in the end to attach a pipe to. At least I will have something to strip down and measure. When they arrive I'll show some more pics. Jim, I'm sure I could make some but looking at them I would need to make  a taper reamer like Jason has said and a form tool to make the ball shape + acquire the materials sooooooooooooo :thinking: :thinking: I'll see.

Cheers

Rich

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 12:29:41 PM »
When they arrive I'll show some more pics.

I'll be looking for them.

I'm sure I could make some but looking at them I would need to make  a taper reamer like Jason has said and a form tool to make the ball shape + acquire the materials sooooooooooooo :thinking: :thinking: I'll see.

If you do (and I for one am hoping you do), lots of pics making them please. There's never enough info and help in making valves. And like what's been said below...you do great work.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 04:30:31 PM »
Hi

Carl I'll certainly strip one and take some photo's and measurements. Still not sure whether or not I'll make some though.

But now you have raised the subject I have made a few valves, pressure, regulator, check etc and also a couple of displacement lubricators. If there is enough interest I could dig out some photos and show how I made them.

Cheers

Rich

Offline Dave Sohlstrom

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 04:58:43 PM »
For reaming the tapered hole just build a tapered D bit. Turn it at the same compound setting when you make the tapered plug for the valve. Then just a touch of lapping and they will fit like a glove.

Dave

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 08:05:20 PM »
Hi

Well they arrived and they are small.

I don't think I'll even try to make some, I can barely hold the little b****** let alone make them :Lol:

Cheers

Rich

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 08:15:11 PM »
They look to be well made - and very easy to fit discharge pipes to! Good buying.
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal