Author Topic: CD LTD Stirling  (Read 14197 times)

Offline Arthur Dent

• Illinois USA
CD LTD Stirling
« on: December 14, 2012, 07:42:09 PM »
I began working on an LTD Stirling engine about a year or so ago, from the excellent plans from Jan Ridders.  Life happened, as it is wont to do, and I had to set it aside after just barely getting started.  Now that things have settled down a bit I thought it about time to get going again.  Since I am new around here I thought a build thread might be a good way to become better acquainted with all of you fine folks.
I'll start off with a shot of my work space:

This is my 7X12 mini lathe from Grizzly Tools, and the similarly sized mini mill from MicroMark.  My workshop is in a 12' X 24' storage shed out in the back yard.  As you can see I haven't finished insulating it yet.  The spaces between the studs sure make great places for hanging stuff.  Oh well.
I have been looking for some clear plastic container or something to cut up for the displacer cylinder to no avail, and just about decided to order a piece of clear acrylic pipe, when Wife found this really nice carafe at Walmart.  If I am careful I might be able to get enough material for 3 cylinders out of it.  Pretty good for $6.
Here is a photo of the dissected carafe plus the aluminum plate for the top and bottom pieces:

Some quality time with the band saw at work during my lunch break resulted in:

I'm going to have fun fitting those big disks onto my little lathe to bring them down to finished size, but I have gotten a few ideas looking through various build threads, I think it shouldn't be too much trouble.  I'll take pics while setting it up.  That might take a few days though, as my weekend looks pretty full.  I do have a few of the other parts already made, I'll put up some pics of those later.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 07:50:45 PM by Arthur Dent »

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
Re: CD LTD Stirling
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 08:14:02 PM »
Hi Arthur, looking forward to this thread the carafe was a good find - good idea.  :ThumbsUp:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 09:01:25 PM »
Hi Arthur.
Stirling cycle? You got me!  :whoohoo:

Your workshop layout, and machine pairing, is just the same as mine. Only a heck of a lot tidier!  ;)

Following, quietly.....  :ThumbsUp:

David D
David.
Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!
Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

fcheslop

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 11:29:37 PM »
Hi Arthur,
             Stirling engine you got me as well :whoohoo:
             I just cannot get enough of hot air engines just love building them or that maybe just hot air :insane:
             Watching quietly :Lol: Now that don't happen often just put that in before Dave did
              Good luck with you're build
kind regards
frazer

Offline AussieJimG

• Rest In Peace
  • Bywong, NSW, Australia
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 11:52:13 PM »
Hi Arthur,

That looks like a good start

Jim

Offline ReFlad

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 01:07:57 AM »
Arthur,
Watching quietly to learn how this is done. 

Ronald

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 01:26:48 AM »
Nice start Arthur!!  Are you following any particular plans or freelancing the design? LTD's are one of my favorites so will be checking in on your progress as well.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 01:32:21 AM »
Hi Arthur, you have my attention and I will be following along. How do you like you Micro lux mill?

Don

Offline Arthur Dent

• Illinois USA
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 09:45:32 AM »
I won't pretend that my work area is always this tidy.  After a good clean-up one day recently I decided to snap a few shots.  Also, you can see that the rest of the shop is very carefully NOT included in the photo.  :Jester:
The plans I am working from for this one are the CD LTD Stirling plans from Jan Ridders.  If anyone is unfamiliar with Jan's work you can find his page for this engine here:

http://heetgasmodelbouw.ridders.nu/Webpaginas/pagina_ltd_stirling_met_cds/cd_dstirling_frameset.htm

I built my first Stirling engine several years ago, it too was an LTD version.  It was a freelance build based on bits gleaned from various places.  It ran fine, but unfortunately met with a few mishaps during our recent move, and is now a "static model".   To repair it would involve a serious rebuild, so I decided to build a whole new one instead.
The MicroLux minimill is a fine machine.  I will admit however, that I have used it for only pretty simple jobs so far.  Hopefully I will be inspired to get a little more adventurous in the coming months.  I would love to add a rotary table to my collection of accessories, but that will have to wait a while.
Thanks to all for the kind words!  I hope to have an update to post in a few days.

Offline Bezalel

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 09:53:14 AM »
I'll be enjoying this build along with the other guys  :ThumbsUp:

Lead on Arty :agree:

:cheers:  Cheers,  Bez
Queensland - wet one day, humid the next

Online sco

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 11:15:30 AM »
Arthur,

I'm part way through a similar LTD stirling based on the plans on Jan's site.  I used a CD 'cake box' for the cylinder wall - bit flimsy but I cut grooves in the top and bottom plates to locate it and keep it round.  I machined the plates on my 1st lathe (Taig / Peatol) by sticking the plates to a face plate with thin double sided tape - provided you take fine cuts it works fine.  You dismount the plates by softening the glue with brake cleaner.

Best of luck,

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 12:40:59 PM »
Interesting project Arthur and I'll be watching too.

I have the same kind of equipment. I hope you don't mind a couple of questions/suggestions...

When I use my mill, the chips go flying everywhere. I'm thinking of getting a bit of plexi and making a moveable barrier to try and contain most of the swarf. A bit of slotted wood to hold the plexi.

I'm wondering about that multi-socket on the wall. Could a bit of swarf fly into it? Maybe a cover? Or cardboard/thin plywood as a barrier with a slot for the cord?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 04:00:23 PM »
Interesting project Arthur and I'll be watching too.

I'm wondering about that multi-socket on the wall. Could a bit of swarf fly into it? Maybe a cover? Or cardboard/thin plywood as a barrier with a slot for the cord?

I had that happen to me when I worked out in the tooling shop wasn't pretty what it did to the wall. :zap:

Nice start on project I be here watching. :ThumbsUp:

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 05:12:27 PM »
Watching quietly as well  :atcomputer:

BC1
Jim

Offline Arthur Dent

• Illinois USA
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 03:27:24 PM »
It never occurred to me about swarf getting into that outlet.  That's a real good point, thanks for the observation.   :ThumbsUp:
I just tacked it up there temporarily one day when I needed to plug in a lamp for the mill and didn't have an extension cord.  I'll take care of that.   
:cheers:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal