Author Topic: Duclos Fire Eater  (Read 35183 times)

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
Re: Duclos Fire Eater
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 04:36:33 AM »
Looks great Bill, and a nice little story about your students. I like the paint (or is it anodised?) on the inside of the flywheel. So a couple of questions

1) What have you used to hold the burner in place? Looks like it could be a good alternative.
2) What did you use to make the wick in the burner? I might try reading what Phil has to say again in the original article. Haven't been reading it as much as I should.

Steve

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 12:37:33 PM »
Steve, the inside of the flywheel was painted  with just model paint from the hobby store, as i recall a maroon metalic of some name...too long ago now to remember, an probably airbrushed it on at the time.

As to holding the burner in place, those are just the little stick on rubber feet you can get at lowes or home depot type places. The "stickum" will degrade over time with oil and contact with the burner fuel but simple enough to replace, just clean the base and stick on some new ones. It keeps the burner in place but it can still rotate some unless you hold it steady. The ones i have on it now are clear though instead of black, less noticeable I just wasn't crazy about Mr. Duclos' method of doing that. Have also thought about sinking a magnet flush in the base and and epoxying another to the inside bottom of the "doorknob" burner ....may try that one of these days. 

I honestly don't recall what I was using as a wick when that photo was taken. These days I use 2-3 pipe cleaners (whatevre it takes to fill the ID of the tube). I use the same on my mini sterling fan burner too and they work well.  Its about impossible to get the older type that were more absorbent...the ones today have both soft fiber and stiffer bristles. I guess it makes them better for their intended purpose but even so they still work and the core wire does let you bend the wick as needed and it will stay put. I will do the same for the poppin, though will likely make a brass burner with more cylindrical design  rather than the dummy doorknob route.

Bill

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 12:52:42 PM »
Thanks Bill

That's very helpful. I'm going to have a think about how to mount the burner.

Steve

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 02:44:51 PM »
As far as wicks go, you only need the wire of the pipe cleaner,  I use iron wire sold for use by florists, its about 24swg, I just cut it to the required length, and push the bundle into the wick tube, I'v made burners this way from 1/8" dia, up to 5/16", and I think 3/8" would be possible, although I'v not needed that.   Ian S C

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 04:20:48 PM »
Good going Steve  :ThumbsUp:

As to wick, I use fiberglass strands teased from some fiberglass matting and rolled together as a wick for my "Little Blazer".  It works very well and does not burn away.  Once some alcohol (spiritus) has wicked into it, one can also bend it around a bit and it keeps the bend OK.

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 06:03:07 PM »
Thanks for the nudge, Bill.  :cheers:

The glass fibre, Wonderwick stock is getting rather low.
So, I've just sent for a pack of these....   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110626342704?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Several years supply, at my rate of progress!  :ThumbsUp:

David D

David.
Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!
Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 08:37:40 PM »
Thanks for your suggestions on what to make wicks from guys. I'll see what I can get my hands on and give it a go.

Steve

fcheslop

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 09:22:13 PM »
I do the same as Arnold or if you know any one in the hotel trade they chuck them away with the empty sterno tins :Lol: cannot beat a freebee
Nice build Steve its bringing back a lot of happy memories as it was the first flame licker I made over 20 years ago and she still goes like the clappers
best wishes and the seasons greetings to all

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 12:36:16 AM »
Wow! you are making time Steve and looking great. You know I love brass. It should be a great looking engine. Still here following and learning.

Don

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 12:51:55 PM »
I have a bound copy of volume one of Model Engineer (1898), and thats where I found the idea of using the little bundle of wire.  The 2$ shop has wicks for oil lamps, I must have a look at these.    Ian S C

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 10:21:12 PM »
Hi Frazer, Don and Ian. Thanks for stopping in.

Frazer and Ian - I ordered some pipe cleaners on ebay. If the cotton burns I'll be left with the wire  ;)

Don - I'm cheating, started the engine before the thread. I'm getting close now and have the itch to get it running. Unfortunately I won't get a chance to do so until the new year.

Steve

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2012, 12:12:59 PM »
Hey Steve...if its getting close then there must be more pictures right?? :)

Bill

fcheslop

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2012, 05:25:23 PM »
 :pics: :ThumbsUp:

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2012, 11:59:32 PM »
and lots of them too!!

BC1
JGim

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2012, 10:28:37 AM »
Ok, I do have a couple more pics kicking about, got a little forgetful. Here's the piston being parted off

and the cam roller

Which I drilled in the lathe

then second opp in a collet

As a side track here's a some interesting snaps from a recent trip up far, far north. Pulled in for lunch at a place called Cape Tribulation where Captain Cook's troubles that resulted in his ship running aground began. Crocodile was on the menu

and just across from where we sat down for lunch was some interesting wildlife

Anyone know anything about this?

Cheers
Steve

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal