Author Topic: Building a Poppin  (Read 41716 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Building a Poppin
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2012, 11:25:57 AM »
Hugh, while looking for something else last night I noticed that Jerry Howell's site now sells graphite rod by the inch in 3/8", 5/8" and 1" diameters. You can check it here about halfway down the page: http://www.model-engine-plans.com/partskits/miscsupplies/index.htm  Not sure if that will be of help for you in Australia so maybe some of our other Aussie members can help out  on that.  Mainly what you are looking for is EDM grade graphite material used to make electrode, so local tool and die shops might be of help also.

Don and Steve, thanks for the comments guys!  Steve, I am really looking forward to following along on your Duclos build too.

Jo, I began this one last Friday so its pretty much realtime.  During the week I have only managed to get a few of the smaller bits made, but hope to have a full weekend to devote to getting closer to the finish line on this one.  Not to worry though, compared to the several that you have going on, this one is far more straightforward in terms of machining and set-ups. Now if only I could get my final exams for this semester to grade themselves...but so far no luck in that :)

Thanks for checking in everyone!

Bill
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 11:32:24 AM by b.lindsey »

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2012, 08:52:52 PM »
Bill,

It's great to see one made exactly to drawing and perfectly executed, as you can see I took a few short cuts on mine but now with the right tooling I should be able to do things like round the top of in future.  Hats off to Dr J. R. Senft too as these things are notoriously difficult to get to run sometimes but he somehow came up with a very robust design.

Nick

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2012, 11:57:15 AM »
thanks Nick. Unfortunately I didn't get anythong done yesterday on it and even more disappointing...the bearings didn't arrive in the post as I had hoped....maybe today. I would have to agree that for its smaller size it is a pretty robust design and hopefully will run as designed once completed. Am thinking now as to what I want to do for the alcohol burner and fitting it all on a nice workable base.

Bill

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2012, 12:13:28 PM »
Thanks for the info, Bill, that's very useful, and I think I can find a suitable supply locally. I'm really thinking of making this engine, I haven't really paid attention to the type before. I downloaded the plans, and I think I've got suppliers figured for the metals. New Year, perhaps. Such a delightful little creature!

Cheers, Hugh.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2012, 01:09:48 PM »
Even though no additional parts got made yesterday, I don't want Jo thinking I'm too much of a slacker....so..... one of the things I had always intended on doing was to bead blast the "standard" of the main frame both to eliminate the few remaining tool marks and to give it a more even (almost anodized looking) appearance as well as to provide a little more contrast with the base (semi polished with very fine grit emery paper) and with the more shiney cylinder, crank, flywheels, etc. I did this extensively with the Brigg's build though that was more to simulate a cast appearance of certain parts. I have to admit I do like the overall effect and am pleased with how it worked on the Poppin. I have included a few pictures below, the first two before, showing the masked off areas, and the last four after. Hopefully the difference will be obvious.

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2012, 02:03:08 PM »
That looks real good Bill, nice smooth, even texture, and color. Terrific contrast, which was your intent  :Love:

BC1
Jim

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2012, 02:52:08 PM »
It will definitely run as intended and looks so professional. On the burner and base, it is often an afterthought and ends up being a lower standard than the rest of the engine (I am guilty of that!), but is sometimes critical on this type of engine. The size and position of the flame is, assuming spring tension and cam timing are fixed, the only method of controlling the speed, so if not secure the burner can vibrate away into the wrong position causing the engine to stop! I am sure that wont happen with yours having seeing your other projects but may be useful to others.
Nick

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2012, 03:24:57 PM »
That is a superb finish Bill. A great looking engine.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2012, 03:41:32 PM »
Thanks Jim, Nick ans Zee.  I plan on recessing both the base of the engine and the burner in a wood base which will allow the burner (which will be round) to rotate only otherwise both the engine and burner will be fixed with respect to each other.  That is one problem I have always had with the Duclos engine...I didn't build in a good way to hold the burner steady...something else I should fix on that one too.

Bill

Offline ScroungerLee

• Southwest Connecticut, US, North America, Earth
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2012, 03:47:58 PM »
Wonderful finish, thanks for sharing.

Lee
Mmmmm.... Shiny!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2012, 01:27:11 AM »
Looks superb Bill , I do like the contrast between the two parts. Do you plan to make a mahogany base for it?

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2012, 01:37:13 AM »
Thanks Don and Lee. For good or bad I have always used red oak for bases. It has a good close grain  which edges nicely and sands well, and is readily available in the project boards section of the big box home improvement stores. Maybe I'm in a rut but use the same stain and polyurethane finish for consistency.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2012, 08:48:31 PM »
The bearings came in yesterday and are shown installed in photo 1 below. Then it was on to one of the two flywheels. The recesses on each side were done on the lathe the transferred to the rotary tqable on the mill to drill and bore out each of the four through holes. Once that was done , back to the lathe to reduce the OD leaving a lottle to clean up later as needed for true running. This is shown in photos 2-4. The next picture shows the flywheel hub finished except for the set screw hole and then finally the one flywheel in place on the non can side of the crankshaft.  Still another one of each to make but I am going to work on the cam first for variety.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2012, 10:17:11 PM »
Oooh! That is looking great Bill. Your moving along pretty fast there bud. I like the bearing arrangement, it assures good snug fit. Looks like all your missing is the piston and Conrod. And Bill I do like Red Oak, I did all my kitchen cabinets with it love the grain in it.

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2012, 02:23:05 AM »
Got a little more done this afternoon and evening. As ahowsn below, the cam and cam spacer are done  and just waiting for the second flywheel now which I hope to get done tomorrow. Then it will be on to the piston and con rod.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal