Author Topic: Chris's Build of Steering Engine  (Read 52950 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Build of Steering Engine
« Reply #645 on: December 08, 2022, 10:02:12 PM »
Fantastic! ..... er......gnomes, eh?  Well, I didn't like that nice finish on those parts anyway! Thanks Chris.  :cheers:

PS do we know what the shipyard that actually built Kearsarge did to remedy this little hoo ha? I've thought of a few ways but just wondered how the real thing was done. Visualize the foreman reviewing the drawings - "why those  :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing::paranoia:  and then a quick visit to the design office  :slap: :Lol:
No details in the archives about the actual build process, on a ship that huge I'm sure there were multiple goofs in the original plans that had to be corrected in the shipyard.
For reference, this is the ship - BB5 Kearsarge, sailed as part of the 'Great White Fleet', it was later converted to a crane ship and served in WW-II. The technology of warships was changing amazingly fast back in those days, many ships only lasted a handful of years.

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #646 on: December 08, 2022, 10:14:13 PM »
I find all this history absolutely fascinating; it adds so much more to a build record. It puts everything in context

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #647 on: December 08, 2022, 10:47:21 PM »
I find all this history absolutely fascinating; it adds so much more to a build record. It puts everything in context

Mike
Definitely! It was amazing to see the steering engines like the one my model is based on still running on the river steamers in Michael's videos. This Kearsarge one is a lot larger since its for a much larger ship, the pistons for it are 15" diameter, and according to the plans the whole steering engine system was over 16 tons, including the screw driven tiller system and the telemotor, which is a electric/hydraulic motor that is like a remote servo to spin the input shaft on the steering motor. They list out six different systems for the steering engine, with a table showing which clutch has to be in which position to use any one of the backup systems. Amazing redundancy but critical for a warship. On the river steamer, there were just two options.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #648 on: December 09, 2022, 02:41:20 AM »
Fantastic! ..... er......gnomes, eh?  Well, I didn't like that nice finish on those parts anyway! Thanks Chris.  :cheers:

PS do we know what the shipyard that actually built Kearsarge did to remedy this little hoo ha? I've thought of a few ways but just wondered how the real thing was done. Visualize the foreman reviewing the drawings - "why those  :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing::paranoia:  and then a quick visit to the design office  :slap: :Lol:
No details in the archives about the actual build process, on a ship that huge I'm sure there were multiple goofs in the original plans that had to be corrected in the shipyard.
For reference, this is the ship - BB5 Kearsarge, sailed as part of the 'Great White Fleet', it was later converted to a crane ship and served in WW-II. The technology of warships was changing amazingly fast back in those days, many ships only lasted a handful of years.

The OHIO was stretched at the last minute because the same shipyard was building a bigger and better one for the Russians in the slip next to it.   The US Navy freaked out, and stretched BB12 and upped the power from 2   5000 HP engines to 2 8000 HP engines that Chris is modeling   My original build plans show BOTH engines....but she ended up with the 8000 HP engines.

Freidman talks about it in his book.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #649 on: December 09, 2022, 02:57:35 AM »
Dave, Freidman did a couple of books on battleships, which do you have?

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #650 on: December 09, 2022, 03:23:09 AM »
Hmnmmm   I own it, but it's not to hand at the moment..     Taking care of my daughter at the moment....she got my flu.....kinda bad.  I'll dig it up this weekend after the "festivities"....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #651 on: December 09, 2022, 05:01:26 PM »
This morning the mounting holes in the cylinder blocks and faceplate were all drilled/countersunk/tapped as needed, both blocks bolt in place with no wiggle (measured the diameter of the SHCS's that I'm using to get the clearance holes down tight on them, didn't depend on the screw thread tables since I know factory made screws do vary slightly). Here is a shot of the two blocks, one on the faceplate in the cylinder-centered position. I've marked the two blocks for which side is which since they need to be mirror images of each other, also when I was drilling the mounting holes I put dimples in the top  face to mark the bore centers, that will be handy for layout of the shapes.

So, next time I can start making swarf on the cylinders!   :cartwheel:

Offline Michael S.

• Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg
« Reply #652 on: December 09, 2022, 05:27:47 PM »
Chris hurry, you have to give first aid to one of your workshop elves. He has injured himself and is writhing in pain.

I'm curious how the blocks will change.

Michael

Offline Michael S.

• Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg
« Reply #653 on: December 09, 2022, 05:39:20 PM »
On the original engine, the cylinders were also marked several times so that they are not confused.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #654 on: December 09, 2022, 05:44:21 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #655 on: December 09, 2022, 06:00:22 PM »
Chris hurry, you have to give first aid to one of your workshop elves. He has injured himself and is writhing in pain.

I'm curious how the blocks will change.

Michael
I told him NOT to try and lift the engine block by himself!   :lolb:

I am still working out the order of operations on the blocks, will need to make a list to keep it all straight in my mind. I think I'll probably do the outsides of both blocks first, then bore them for the piston and valve. Or the other way around. Not decided yet!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #656 on: December 09, 2022, 06:01:41 PM »
On the original engine, the cylinders were also marked several times so that they are not confused.
Its a lesson learned early on - parts that were machined the same and should be interchangeable are not always interchangeable!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #657 on: December 09, 2022, 08:19:54 PM »
Was about to start marking up the top/sides of the blocks for the cylinders, when I realized that there was an easier and faster way to do the top circles than getting out the compass, adjusting, testing, readjusting, hoping that the point was in the center, etc.  Just bolt the thing onto the faceplate and let the lathe scribe the circles!

That also reminded me to knock the corners off the one end so that it could clear the ways when in valve-centered position!   :wallbang:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #658 on: December 09, 2022, 10:47:26 PM »
Let the ka thunk ka thunk ka thunk begin!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #659 on: December 09, 2022, 11:00:20 PM »
Let the ka thunk ka thunk ka thunk begin!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Hopefully no kathunkas, all the outside cutting will be on the mill and rotary table, and the boring wont be interrupted cuts, so I am hoping just for a lot of whirring sounds!   :Lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal