Author Topic: Chris's Ransome Tree Feller Build  (Read 20192 times)

Offline cnr6400

Re: Chris's Ransome Tree Feller Build
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2022, 07:11:47 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: Looking great Chris! re keeping solder out of passages - maybe coat the inside of the passages as far as you can reach with some liquid paper / correction fluid - that way if any solder gets that far it won't "wet" onto the surfaces as easy, or at all. If the passages in the parts to be soldered are all "thru" - maybe a second helper person could give a blast of compressed air from the outer ends while the solder is still liquid, to blow them clear? just food for thought.

BTW the screamin 6 jimmy dump truck is on its' way with 6 1/2 tons of white kernel popcorn. Assuming the missing exhaust stack noise doesn't trigger the seismograph, damage the bridge, and wreck all the microphones at Niagara's Lewiston border cross point, triggering an international incident, you should hear it arrive in a day or so.  :Lol: enjoy !  :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2022, 08:06:40 PM »
Yep! That’s what I am talking about just damn good fabrication ……  :Love:

:cheers:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2022, 08:20:32 PM »
:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: Looking great Chris! re keeping solder out of passages - maybe coat the inside of the passages as far as you can reach with some liquid paper / correction fluid - that way if any solder gets that far it won't "wet" onto the surfaces as easy, or at all. If the passages in the parts to be soldered are all "thru" - maybe a second helper person could give a blast of compressed air from the outer ends while the solder is still liquid, to blow them clear? just food for thought.
Thats a great idea! Can run it into the passages, let it dry, then scrape off any that got on the mating surfaces. I like it!   :cheers: :ThumbsUp:

BTW the screamin 6 jimmy dump truck is on its' way with 6 1/2 tons of white kernel popcorn. Assuming the missing exhaust stack noise doesn't trigger the seismograph, damage the bridge, and wreck all the microphones at Niagara's Lewiston border cross point, triggering an international incident, you should hear it arrive in a day or so.  :Lol: enjoy !  :cheers:
The shop elves are up on the roof with binocs keeping a lookout. Before the truck makes the return trip, I'll install a nice steam whistle on it!   :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2022, 08:20:45 PM »
Yep! That’s what I am talking about just damn good fabrication ……  :Love:

:cheers:
Don
Thanks Don!   :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2022, 08:29:59 PM »
Was out on the front porch reading till it got too hot outside, so I came back in and did a little more on the Feller. Turned the plate for the pivot, with a post to fit the hole milled in the side of the cylinder.

then over to the mill to drill the mounting holes for the valve block. While that was set up I have also drilled the holes in the end of the piece that will be used for the valve block base. There are four holes, on 60 degree spacing. With a gasket that should bolt down tight enough to hold pressure. The middle two bolts have to be left out since the valve block and cylinder get too close and they would be impossible to install.

Parted off the plate and trued the outer face. Here it is set on the cylinder.

This shows better how it fits into the hole between the passage blocks.

I've marked where the passage holes need to be drilled in this piece, next time I'll get them done.

I've also drilled a center hole in this plate - will use that to run more solder down into the joint at the base to help insure good sealing. This hole can be plugged after the soldering is done, it doesn't connect to anything.

Won't be any work in the shop tomorrow, we have a local RC submarine run out at the pond. The pond we use at the park is REALLY overgrown with weeds this year and quite low, we have not gotten much rain here this past month. Since it is impassable to anything but an airboat, we are trying out a pond behind a guys house, one of our group knows him and got permission to use it, with a little luck we'll get him hooked on RC boats and have him join the group!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2022, 11:04:31 PM »
Glad you liked the liquid paper idea. The valve plate / top hat part looks great. Maybe the original draftsman at Ransomes signed that drawing B.Ung?  :Lol:

Have a great time with the RC boats tomorrow!  :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2022, 11:35:22 PM »
Glad you liked the liquid paper idea. The valve plate / top hat part looks great. Maybe the original draftsman at Ransomes signed that drawing B.Ung?  :Lol:

Have a great time with the RC boats tomorrow!  :cheers:
That jokes a corker!   :ROFL:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2022, 10:25:58 PM »
This morning before the RC boat run I drilled the holes for the passages in the center piece, and ran in some wite-out like CNR suggested. The little brush thing in the bottle slopped some excess over onto the faces where I DO want solder to go, but a little alcohol on a bit of paper towel removed that pretty easy. It was WAY too hot outside this afternoon to do the soldering (odd to say that, but too hot for me to be next to a running torch and hot metal!) so maybe tomorrow will get that piece soldered in place...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2022, 11:25:09 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2022, 05:00:54 PM »
Well, the center piece is soldered in, looks like good flow through the joints. In soaking now, will have to get the holes drilled through at the end of the cylinder to find out if the passages are sealed correctly. Hope so!

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2022, 09:08:11 PM »
soaking now, will have to get the holes drilled through at the end of the cylinder to find out if the passages are sealed correctly. Hope so!

Fingers crossed here and following another interesting build    :cheers:   :popcorn:

Per

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2022, 07:51:38 PM »
Here is where the cylinder is at present:

The trunnion on the opposite side from the valve support plate has been added, and the holes for the passages into the ends of the cylinder were drilled. It turned out that there was someplace in the center support plate soldering that was leaking between the passages - I think I did not get the plate squeezed all the way down in the hole during soldering. To resolve the leak between the two end passages,  I resorted to running in a little epoxy in the center plate passage holes, letting it set, then drilling through again from both the center plate and from the ends. To drill from the ends, down the length of the passage blocks, I had to open up a hole in each end flange that will need to be plugged. But, it did solve the leak! 

Next steps will be to make the end caps, and drill matching bolt holes in those and the cylinder ends...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2022, 08:19:53 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Good news re the leak being fixed!
Note re the plugging for the end plates - I can tell ya that chewing tobacco won't likely plug the holes....for long  :Lol:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2022, 01:52:15 AM »
That's some mighty nice fabrication work there Chris!  :popcorn: :popcorn:

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2022, 02:38:30 PM »
Have started in on the cylinder end caps...

The rear one is a simple disc with center raised sections either side, the front one has a raised center for the bore, other side is flat and will get a block soldered on for the saw guides.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal