Author Topic: How's the vacuum at HMEM?  (Read 12816 times)

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
How's the vacuum at HMEM?
« on: July 20, 2012, 09:29:53 PM »
I didn't and won't rejoin the new HMEM.  With that being said, what's it like over there now?  Is it pulling more inches of Hg by every passing hour?  Is it really as bad as everyone says it is?

Someone should ask the new admin. which end of a double end mill he should use to plunge with. ;)

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline Raggle

• Newtown, Montgomery, Powys mid-Wales
Re: How's the vacuum at HMEM?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 09:51:53 PM »
I'm not quite out of there yet, just keeping an eye. They seem to be putting on brave face, the foot soldiers.  The new admin seems to have no clue why there has been such an Exodus and, frankly, doesn't care.

I've seen no advertising yet, but I realise that they will pay more when membership (or visits to the site ) grows. Or am I wrong there?

I suspect there will be prayers offered to St Jude, patron saint of lost causes, before long.

Ray
All we're trying to do is combine a fuel and an oxidant in the combustion chamber and burn it in the hope of getting some useful thrust out of the back end. It's not rocket science.

Offline lazylathe

• Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 10:07:05 PM »
Just had a quick look for you Bob.

It seems to be plugging away, but it does not have the same vibe anymore...
I have been a member there for 4 or so years and never seen such a huge influx of new members in such a short time.
I do not know if that bodes well or not...

I will be checking in there on occasion but not posting anymore.

Andrew
A new place to hide my swarf!

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 10:47:32 PM »
Thanks guys.

Wow, that's interesting that there is a huge influx of new members.  That leaves me scratching my head.  This is a very small niche hobby; it doesn't make much sense.  How are they promoting it to get all of that interest?  Maybe, they advertised it on their other forumns?  Somewhere I read that they have an RC airplane site.  I could see members from that joining up at HMEM. 

I don't see why anybody would stay over there.  To each their own.  Are any of the new members contributing anything?
Proud Member of MEM

Offline Cedge

• Greenville, SC, USA
    • The Steam Gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 10:55:16 PM »
I'm noticing that it's begun to dawn on the newer guys that "something has happened" but most aren't quite sure what it all means. The loss of imagery is also beginning to be noticed and commented on. Surprisingly, it looks like the blame for that problem might just be laid on Austin's plate.  Rick is still of the opinion that we'll all get over the situation in a few days and come back to save the forum, but he really doesn't sound very convincing.  Austin is now trying to soft sell the copyright thing but isn't having a lot of success, especially since most of those it was of much concern to aren't there to read his comments. His pitch is that we still own copyright but that they have to have the right to use them for advertising, etc.  Boy would I like to sell him a bridge or two.

Steve
Steve

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 11:06:10 PM »
Ok, first off - we're not here to kill HMEM. That would be impossible anyway, there's 12,000 registered members over there. HMEM will continue to attract newbies; there's still a massive body of work there, and if the admin has done his technical work right (no reason to think he hasn't), Google will still be able to find all the old content. I guess some will wonder why there are so many threads with no pictures in,  but pretty soon (12 months, maybe less) all that will be ancient history. Be honest - when was the last time you clicked in a forum, and went more than 1 or 2 pages back through the history - unless you were specifically looking for something?

Second, I'm not to worried about how HMEM does in future. We've got a whole new playground here; and some of the creme de la creme (possibly all of it?) has come over - and pretty much within 24hrs of Bog's initial call out. Yes, I knew we'd pick up several people who were disgusted at the old place takeover; I had no idea it would be THIS big though. Never underestimate the anger of an engineer scorned...

If you want a comparison: By my count HMEM got 40 topics with new posts in the last 24h (can't tell how many posts, exactly). Wheras we got over 420 posts in 99 topics in the same period. Not bad for a 48-hour-old forum, eh?  8) [I just wish I could take any of the credit - I can't, it's 100% down to all of you guys.]

Cheers,
Ade
--
I'm just a poor old man. I have no time for law-breakers. My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent.

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 11:23:41 PM »
Cedge- It's amazing what  power a mass exodus can have.   

admin-

Obviously the intent of this site is not to kill them off.  I find it interesting how this whole thing has played out.  I use to promote that site as much as I could.  I always sited it in my YouTube videos.  When I was approached by an online engineering magazine for a writeup on one of my engines I made sure that I could include a plug for HMEM.  When ever I talked to people about my engines I always mentioned HMEM.  It was my way of thanking the site and the hobby.  I would have never known about this hobby if I hadn't have stumbled on to that site one day.  That's why at this point I have an interest, that will fade, as to what is going on over there.
Proud Member of MEM

Offline Cedge

• Greenville, SC, USA
    • The Steam Gallery
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 11:30:13 PM »
I wish the admin would give us an identity so we can address him/her/it/other a bit more personally.

I'll back what you've just stated. While I'm not willing to contribute to the ongoing efforts at HMEM, I don't expect it to die either. Nor would that be a good thing. I do expect to see some of those who were run off returning to become the resident experts. Sort of an HSM annex if you will.

I can personally tell you there are nowhere near 12000 machinists on HMEM. I know this because I used to try to maintain/police the membership rolls. Of those 12000 listed, more than half are people who registered and never even logged onto the board. Zero visits, zero posts far outnumber those with even 1 visit or post. Most were registrations done by bots. Another 25% are spammers who are using the board traffic in various ways to gain credit (payment) with other unscrupulous advertising outfits who pay them according to a rating system. Once I stopped patrolling the rolls, the spammer numbers exploded. Active participating members are probably less than 400 with another few hundred actively lurking for short periods of time. We as mods constantly screened new registration by a number of means.  Austin isn't going to care where he gets the numbers as long as he can show growth to his boss.  Surprised to see the count surge?... not me.

In short... Rick sold them the board based on numbers he definitely knew to be skewed. I'm not going to condemn that, especially since any company that buys boards should have known where and how to audit that information.

It's proving to be a fascinating observation of group dynamics and their unpredictable nature, if nothing else.

Steve

Steve

Offline 90LX_Notch

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 11:38:51 PM »
Read post #51 (page 6) of this thread for an interesting observation.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/55200-HMEM-help/page6?s=622cffb95fdbb535736fbcd8ab8490a3
Proud Member of MEM

Offline ksouers

• Near St. Louis, MO, USA
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 03:39:00 AM »
Steve is pretty close with his numbers, though I think a little high. Active members might be no more than 300. Most of the membership roll is packed with spammer and bot IDs, most of them never used. There's a bunch for people that signed up, active for a couple months until Life intervened and they dropped away.

And that's after Steve and Dave culled a lot of the inactive spammer IDs.

You can log in at any time of day and only find a max of maybe 20 registered members on the site, usually less. Unregistered guests always outnumbered members at least 3 to 1.
Yes, the core group was very active and accounted for a lot of posts. But most of that core group is here now or at Mad Modder, or more likely both.

Kevin

Offline Cedge

• Greenville, SC, USA
    • The Steam Gallery
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 05:07:16 AM »
Kevin
You're probably closer with the 300 number, but I was being generous. At one point I had deleted over 4000 entries (let's talk about thankless jobs) and had the rolls down to about 4000 members. That number could have been whittled further to maybe 1500 -2000. That 2000 would have still included a large number of single message posters who hadn't logged in for more than 1 year. I've been off the mod team for about a year now, so at 12000 members, you can see just how big the bogus registration explosion became. (sounds like my gut feelings were right about that decision)

Sort of paints the whole deal in a different light. Take away the 100 plus people that have just signed up here and HMEM is going to have an ever growing echo in the hallways. As the serious new guys pick up a clue to the fact that the knowledge base is now over here, things are likely to get rather quieter over there. Austin might be king, but it's really not much of a kingdom to crow about. They pretty much bought search engine placement, more than anything else. The rest actually appears to now be a house of cards. He can collect revenues by driving click through traffic via their "vertical marketing" efforts, but as content levels stagnate, it certainly isn't going to drive the show forever.

Steve

Steve

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 08:10:17 AM »
Read post #51 (page 6) of this thread for an interesting observation.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/55200-HMEM-help/page6?s=622cffb95fdbb535736fbcd8ab8490a3

Well just checked my spam filter box ( its on the server ) guess what no increase in spam but it did pick up on the one from Austin informing me of the forum software change , reason cited "many more have reported it as spam"

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Bogstandard

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 09:18:52 AM »
Rather than kicking someone when he is down, although as far as I am concerned, it would be deserved, I think we should just put it behind us as just like you would a nasty taste in the mouth. Wash it out and it is gone.

OK, a lot of us rebelled at a time of crisis, but as it turned out, we have a nice new haven here, where we can spread our wings.

But you must realise that HMEM will not die, it will carry on under it's new guise, and we will get people who will have loyalties in both camps and post both on here and there, so we must show that we are above recrimination and vengeance.

It does no good at all badmouthing each other, which is what will happen, to the detriment of both sites.

John

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 09:21:21 AM »
well said John

My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 01:10:11 PM »
But you must realise that HMEM will not die, it will carry on under it's new guise, and we will get people who will have loyalties in both camps and post both on here and there, so we must show that we are above recrimination and vengeance.

It does no good at all badmouthing each other, which is what will happen, to the detriment of both sites.

John

Bogs,

Your not just a pretty face
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 05:06:32 PM »
Bogs,

Your not just a pretty face

He's not??!!  Bob, maybe you better have another drink there sailor ...... :o ;D :-*

BC1
Jim

Offline Cedge

• Greenville, SC, USA
    • The Steam Gallery
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 05:15:48 PM »
Jim
Is that a "Man Crush" yer expressing there?....(evil grin)

Steve
Steve

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 07:37:07 PM »
Stevo, yer sick I tell you, just sick. Man crush? Brrrrr! Orange Crush maybe but not that, no never.  8)

Although I do seem to recall a certain member in our midst that was allegedly quit devilish in a tutu. ;D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 09:12:41 PM by Bearcar1 »

Offline Cedge

• Greenville, SC, USA
    • The Steam Gallery
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 07:53:22 PM »
Now that you mention it... so do I.  Reckon we can score some hush money for keeping that tidbit quiet?

Steve
Steve

Offline Cedge

• Greenville, SC, USA
    • The Steam Gallery
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, 08:05:54 PM »
John
My comments were not meant to be detrimental to HMEM at all. In fact I wish them all the luck they can garner. The numbers we shared just lay bare some interesting information that most users never get to see.  When you look at the 150 active HMEM members that have already signed up here, it isn't exactly painting rainbows and roses for those who stayed. To see 5 long years of hard work, by so many people, take that kind of devastating hit in one 24 hour period has simply been astounding. HMEM's future evolution should also be just as interesting to observe.

Steve
Steve

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2012, 08:33:45 PM »
Although I do seem to recall a certain member in our midst that was allegedly quit devilish in a tutu. ;D

I remember him! Handsome guy. A little less on top and a little more below (and even less below that) but you can't help liking him.

Not much skill but a great dancer as I recall.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Bogstandard

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2012, 08:34:51 PM »
I realised that Steve, and the only reason I piped up was to prevent the rest of the post going a little too far.

Understandably, with all that has happened, tempers have been a little frayed over the last few days, mine included, but I left that behind when I left HMEM, and even a tiny spark by the touch paper could have started a real outburst of hatred.

Which isn't what any of us want at this time.

John

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2012, 09:17:06 PM »

I remember him! Handsome guy. A little less on top and a little more below (and even less below that) but you can't help liking him.

Not much skill but a great dancer as I recall.

Yeah, that's the guy alright. skinny legs but man could he dance!!! Funniest thing I ever saw,...... can you tie them in a knot, is my *ahem*, no wait ...,are my ears to long..........

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2012, 10:33:43 AM »
Hi

I have 2 places where I up load photos to, Photobucket and Dropshots. Having spent a few hours trying to sort through them I gave up and deleted the lot, every last one. I have all my photos backed up to disc so I can find them all again. Time for a fresh start I think. I have just been over to HMEM to check on my posted topics and all the pictures/drawings/plans have gone. The topics/build logs etc are now useless without them. A picture is worth a 1000 words.

It would be impossible for me to rewrite them over here as some of my builds went on for years but if anyone is interested in anything specific I should be able to dig it out again.

Cheers

Rich

Bogstandard

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2012, 09:41:01 PM »
Rich,

I know exactly how you feel, but I knew how to move my file on PB.

I have most of the texts I used in my posts, copied directly from the web pages they were displayed on, including the old picture links.

All I need to do is post that text here, and pop my newly displaced pictures into them by a small change of text to the original picture links.

Old picture link - http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa102/bogstandard_photos/Change this bit/SCOTT212.jpg

New picture link - http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa102/bogstandard_photos/To new bit/SCOTT212.jpg

That is what I am now doing with my Scott engine build, when I can get the time to do it.

John
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 09:50:47 PM by Bogstandard »

Troutsqueezer

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2012, 10:44:49 PM »
Hi

I have 2 places where I up load photos to, Photobucket and Dropshots. Having spent a few hours trying to sort through them I gave up and deleted the lot, every last one. I have all my photos backed up to disc so I can find them all again. Time for a fresh start I think. I have just been over to HMEM to check on my posted topics and all the pictures/drawings/plans have gone. The topics/build logs etc are now useless without them. A picture is worth a 1000 words.

It would be impossible for me to rewrite them over here as some of my builds went on for years but if anyone is interested in anything specific I should be able to dig it out again.

Cheers
Rich

Rich, As time goes on and maybe if you get more requests but when the time feels right, I wouldn't mind a re-post of the project you did that had the boiler and oscillating steam engine all on the same platform. I remember there was a lot of good advice being handed out from many experts on the topic regarding the steam connections, etc. I've always wanted to build a complete steam powered setup with the boiler, engine, generator and lighting system. Always figured I'd go back to your original build post when the time came for me. That said, I probably won't get started on that particular project for some time so don't go rushing into anything. I think many others stand to benefit from that build as well.

Thanks.

-Dennis

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »

John
Yea John, the old saying, "If you can't say something nice about a person (or site) don't say anything".
:-)  Just ignore them. :-)
   ...lew...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal