Author Topic: Stuart 504 boiler advice please  (Read 5120 times)

Offline AlasdairM

• Suffolk (UK)
Stuart 504 boiler advice please
« on: November 29, 2012, 06:47:32 PM »
I have just become the proud owner of a Stuart 504 gas fired boiler in a small steam plant. I have only ever used meths/solid fuel boilers before.

As the 504 is some years old (Stuarts stopped making them quite some time ago I gather), I wonder if anyone can help me with a copy of any instructions/manual please? Stuarts themselves confirmed to me today that they no longer have any.

It comes with gauge glass, pressure gauge and water pump clack/check valve, but no blowdown. Would I be advised to add a blowdown to bottom of gauge glass perhaps?

All/any comments welcomed  :D.

Many thanks. Regards, A
New to model engineering but loving it!

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
Re: Stuart 504 boiler advice please
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 07:26:49 PM »

It comes with gauge glass, pressure gauge and water pump clack/check valve, but no blowdown. Would I be advised to add a blowdown to bottom of gauge glass perhaps?

All/any comments welcomed  :D .

Many thanks. Regards, A

Alasdair,

The idea of a blowdown is mainly to remove solids which accumulate in the boiler water and scum which is at the water/steam interface. So.........  blowdowns on fire tube boilers are fitted at the bottom of the shell and a small scum blow at the height of half the gauge glass. Fitting one on the bottom of the gauge glass will do nothing for the condition of the boiler and its' contents.

Hope this helps

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 09:11:16 PM »
Bob,
The glass on a small live steam loco is sometimes on the small side and false readings are common. Some folks solve this by fitting a quick action push button blow down on the bottom of the glass. I usually just shake the loco to dislodge any pesky bubbles giving a false reading.

A photo of the setup would help but it should be fairly simple. Butane is the gas to use and the tank should have a outlet valve and a filler that is normally a Ronson type so just like filling a non-disposable lighter.

Dan
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 09:27:24 PM by Dan Rowe »
ShaylocoDan

Offline AlasdairM

• Suffolk (UK)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 09:55:32 PM »
Thanks to Bob and Dan for speedy replies. My worry was indeed about the gauge glass reading proving "problematic" - however I will try it and see if it seems reliable - I am doubtless worrying unnecessarily ::)

Regards, A
New to model engineering but loving it!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal