Author Topic: Seeing double?  (Read 19307 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Seeing double?
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2012, 10:59:35 AM »
Best not tell you to look at the for sale ads on TT, 2" AA7 and a Z2?

I looked :slap:, thankfully couldn't find them.

The very small scales are really showcase models you need at least 2" for it to work and larger really if you want to shift some dirt. Even in 2" you need to think about lifting gear especially if like my Superba its got a steel boiler

I know, the Maixtrak engine requires the use of nut crackers to make the coal small enough to fit into the firebox and mice to ride the plough :lolb:

I still reckon you can in the main get away without lifting gear in 2" , you just need a second set of strong willing hands, so that option is still on the table   :naughty:.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2012, 11:24:21 AM »
You had the use of my willing hands last week, don't make a habit of it otherwise some members might start to talk ;)

But having suitable lifting gear would make it so easy to get things from the workshop to the dining room, just like this guy has done.

While looking for Soho Governors last night I did come accross this image and for some reason it made me think of your Libruary/dining/living room floor :thinking:

J

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2012, 12:23:44 PM »
 :lolb: In my dreams,

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline IanR

• Derby, UK
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2012, 07:20:20 PM »
ME 4278 has a few of the Double Tangye variants, interestingly Dave Piddington says Westbury based his on one that is shown with a single governor, also the GA on my Hobby Store seems to show a single governor?? A read through of Westbury's build series may throw some more light on the subject.

Thanks, I will have to dig out that copy of ME when I get home...

Now it is the original Westbury article that I suspect is the source of the twin governors problem rather than original engines, but I hope someone will be able to enlighten me. The GA as you say shows a single governor but as you get to the pages about building the governor they show all the parts as needing twice as many as you really need (ignoring the fact that the governors don't look very original :ShakeHead:)

In the series on building this engine, ETW said that he found an 1892 Tangye catalogue picture of an engine with 2 governors, though not mounted in exactly the same way as on the model. ME volume 110, 4th March 1954 p232.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal