Author Topic: A bit of humor...or real life.  (Read 15780 times)

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
Re: A bit of humor...or real life.
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 10:46:06 AM »
A couple more from DA that I find I can’t be without:

I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young.
Jo

Reminds me of:

Some are burdened with an inability to listen

Others are burdened with an inability to hear.

Those less fortunate than most fit into both of the above with equal ease.
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2013, 11:37:42 AM »
Thanks Jo.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 01:49:21 PM »
Douglas Adams is a rich source of good quotes.... some more:

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

"It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."

"He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife."
Cheers,
Ade
--
I'm just a poor old man. I have no time for law-breakers. My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2013, 02:09:52 PM »
And a quote that works equally well for our model engines as for one of those excellent products of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation  ;)

"it is very easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of them by the sense of achievement you get from getting them to work at all."

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2013, 02:28:15 PM »
Ade.... :lolb: :lolb: :lolb: Those are great.

Jo...that is so true. After that initial sense of achievement I'm often left looking at the project with a 'now what do I do with it?'
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2013, 03:00:50 PM »
As I was lying in bed pondering the problems of the world, I rapidly realized that I don't really give a rat's toss bag.... etc etc

Bob , what a brilliant ethos - and an excellent follow up on the rest of the post  ;).  Some, "inebriated by the exuberence of their own pomposity", simply don't realise the world is coming gradually to an end - for some of us I fear much sooner than others but in the meantime lets enjoy it - every last bit of it.

I find the only bad thing about retirement is you suddenly realise don't have another lifetime to enjoy it in  :o

Ah well - time for the regimental motto

'Utrinque Paratus'

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Online sco

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
In a similar vein Wilco Johnson's response to finding out he had cancer - stick with it; <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQjVMr9M7hk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQjVMr9M7hk</a>
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2013, 09:31:57 PM »
Oh dear - I think I may have give the wrong impression here Sco.  As far as I'm aware I'm not on my way yet with anything life threatening - just at that age when it suddenly becomes apparent with a great deal of clarity that  there's far less to come than whats already been  ::)

Bob (Maryak's) post just struck a chord.. especially after a year in which my perspective on day to day life has changed considerably - probably totally.

About this time last year I was recovering from a major op on my insides. Before the op it was a worry but all has turned out ok and I guess you could say I'm fully recovered from the trauma.

However what put it all into perspective was the two following incident's - Whilst in hospital a chap a little younger than myself was brought in and placed directly opposite to me. Although mobile he did look extremely unwell. That afternoon whilst he was taken to theatre for assessment I was conversing with his wife across the ward who told me she had defeated bowel cancer some seven years previous. This gave me the positive outlook I was in need of. Her husband returned with the nursing team and when the curtains were drawn back she was positively ashen - her husband had a very short time left indeed. I still can't get that look on his face out of my head. I felt as if in some way I had been reprieved.

Two days before I went in for my op I had a call from a long term friend, an ex work colleague and fellow ME. Sid had had a major stomach op the previous year and a lot of cancer treatment. He had phoned to say that the hospital had just phoned him to tell him he was clear of all cancer. He was very positive and we planned a get together as soon as I was up and running. Just a few weeks later he visited with another friend and we sat enjoying our regular coffee and bacon rolls in the spring sunshine planning what we were going to do in our workshops. Regretably Sid never got back in his and died in August.

It isn't until something like this literally smacks you in the face that you (one) begin to realise that life is sooo short that nothing really actually matters that much except being here and enjoying every bit of it. What you want to do or what you plan to do isn't really that relevant if you're unfortunate enough not to be around.

So when Bob says - 'Go round me I'm retired' that's just how I now feel - Someone else's signature says his bones are 'Old and Gnarled - yep I know what he means too because as someone who has always tried to show consideration to others first I'm definitely becoming less tolerant. Is that a bad thing? Who knows? Perhaps I should say "I couldnt give a rat's toss bag" ;D

With luck, I will live up to a comment made to me as a young thiry something by a Diving Medical Doctor   - " Mr Wilson, you are a very fit young man - you will live to be ninety nine. (Yes he did - really)  I remember saying to him - "I'll hold you to that Doctor" and yep I still am.   Hell if I can only get into the workshop for half of that time I've still only got fifteen years - that's not a lot of engines now is it.  :)

As they say in these parts I shall  - 'Jest keep onna troshen boy' ;)

Regards - Ramon  :old:

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2013, 10:37:53 PM »
Folks, the fact is that none of us are leaving here alive. We have the right to make out our to do list in life; however, someone else makes the schedule. I fear that if you put off too much of life till it's more suiting you miss a lot that you may never experience again. However, if you enjoy too much of life too soon then you run the risk of lacking for things you may need in later life ( money, health, brain cells ). There are probably a very few that ever find that perfect balance. After seeing my business blow away, my father narrowly escape serious injury, and my wife survive a car wreck all in the frame of a couple of hours, if whomever is making the schedule will let me have another day, I'm gonna milk it for all I can get out of it. My joy isn't the " project", it's the chance to try it. Now, this is bout as serious as this ol redneck is ever gonna git.

Eric

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2013, 10:53:37 PM »
When my Best friend of 16 years passed some 2 1/2 years ago...it completely gutted me.    He was 3 months older than I....we had worked together all the time we  knew eachother....some 50,000 hours I figured...we finished eachothers sentences....Colon cancer got him at 46.

I had myself checked out then....good thing as they found precancerous polyps...luckily...they just had to take them out and that was that....if I had waited till I was 50....well...it could have been too late for me too.

My wife and kids are #1 now....the rest is fluff.....if it gets done...it gets done...and otherwise....Wot Bob said!

Dave
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 11:01:24 PM by steamer »
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2013, 11:30:14 PM »
Ok , nuff real life. Y'all hear bout the mole family that lived under the farmer's window? Farmer's wife was cooking breakfast and mama and papa mole stuck their noses up to the hole and papa mole said; I smell bacon, and mama mole said I smell biscuits, and baby mole, stuck below them said; All I smell is mole- asses :lolb: :lolb: :lolb: :ROFL:

Ya gotta laugh
Eric

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2013, 01:48:35 AM »
 :lolb:
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2013, 02:58:13 AM »
Ok , nuff real life. Y'all hear bout the mole family that lived under the farmer's window? Farmer's wife was cooking breakfast and mama and papa mole stuck their noses up to the hole and papa mole said; I smell bacon, and mama mole said I smell biscuits, and baby mole, stuck below them said; All I smell is mole- asses :lolb: :lolb: :lolb: :ROFL:

Ya gotta laugh
Eric

:lolb:  :lolb:

Don

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2013, 08:12:20 AM »
....however, someone else makes the schedule.

Exactly what I meant Eric  ;)

I don't intend to be up to my neck in moles ever again  ;D

Love the analogy BTW  :lolb:

Ramon

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal