Author Topic: Hello to all from Southern Illinois, USA!  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Arthur Dent

• Illinois USA
Hello to all from Southern Illinois, USA!
« on: November 25, 2012, 07:33:31 PM »
I have been lurking on here for some time, thought I would say hello.
My machine tools consist of the 7 X 12 mini lathe and similarly sized mini mill along with misc tooling for each. No rotary table yet though.  I have had these machines for a few years and had lots of fun making small parts for work and around the farm. Now I have decided it's time to get off my duff and start making engines.
I have no training in machining, just what I have gleaned from books and several videos from Swarf Rat Productions. (I hope I am allowed to say that)   I have made the wobbler kit from LittleMachineShop (another plug, sorry), and a couple more similar ones from bits from the scrap bin.  I have been looking through Elmer's engine plans for something a little more challenging, and am now about half way through his #19 Standby and have been having a lot of fun with it.   I have just today ordered a set of plans for the HasBrouck #3 mill engine.
I am also working on finishing insulating my workshop, as winter (which is my prime shop time) seems about to settle in.  Have been shopping for a vented propane fired heater.  They seem to be rather scarce, everyone wants to sell me a ventless model instead.  I have been around those ventless heaters and do not like them.  I'll find a nice vented one one of these days.
Anyway, I hope to pick up some good tips from all the fine folks here on the forum, and perhaps some day in the far future might even be able to offer some myself.
Cheers!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Hello to all from Southern Illinois, USA!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 07:58:48 PM »
 :hi: Arthur (?)

Another Hitch hiker in our wonderful galaxy of model engines that just have to be made. :insane:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline rudydubya

• Western Arkansas USA
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 09:51:53 PM »
Welcome, Arthur.  Lots of us here with equipment like yours.  I hope insulating and heating your shop goes well.  You won't regret it as you get older.  Also consider your cooling needs for summer now while you're modifying things.  Let us know how you're getting on.  We like pictures.

Regards,
Rudy

Offline krv3000

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 10:04:34 PM »
hi and welcum

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 10:16:02 PM »
Welcome!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 10:43:23 PM »
 :hi: Welcome Arthur! you have tooling like the rest of us here. I too have no training in machining. Don't you just love Swarfrat's videos. Well presented and layed out. I also love to read this is the best way to learn besides doing.

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 11:30:07 AM »
Welcome Arthur, it sounds like you are moving along the learning curve rather well and hopefully you can find more inspiration/help here as needed. Hope you will consider doing a build log on the Hasbrouck #3.

Regards,
Bill

Offline Arthur Dent

• Illinois USA
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 02:42:53 PM »
Yep, another hitchhiker here.  But don't panic, I know where my towel is.   :LittleDevil:
Thanks everyone for the nice welcomes, I think I'm going to like it here.
The workshop is in one of those 12' X 24' "storage buildings" that you see everywhere.  I have a place framed in for an air conditioner, so when it comes time for that all I'll have to do is cut out the siding and put the unit in.  It has a nice loft, but somehow that seems to have been filled very quickly with all kinds of odds and ends, to the point that I really have no idea what's up there any more.
I have read through several build threads here, those sure are a great resource!  Not sure I'm up to doing one myself, I'm not one of the most organized folks you will ever meet.  We'll see.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 01:42:14 PM by Arthur Dent »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal