Author Topic: Adding DRO's to Myford super 7  (Read 24074 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Adding DRO's to Myford super 7
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 10:04:27 AM »
Very Attractive to me Don!

I'll keep that in mind for the SB.....but its' still a ways off.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Xldevil

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 01:35:41 PM »
Hi.
Hello

Nice job,Don.

That's how I solved the problem mounting a scale to the cross slide

I tried to keep the full travel of the tailstock.

Cheers,Ralph

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 02:17:25 PM »
Thanks for showing Ralph, I had been thinking of moving it to the back the same way you did yours.

Don

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 01:44:01 AM »
Well I finally getting around to redoing my cross slide DRO. There are a couple of reason for redoing it. For one had some trouble with the compound slide, a problem adjusting the Gib's, took up some room for the tail stock and took some meat off my knuckles. So this is my version of the modification.
First I made a bracket to attach to the back of the carriage. The bracket is made of two pieces. It is attached by two Allen socket head screws and so is the cross bar. Attached to it is the DRO Scale

This next photo I am squaring a piece that will be used to hold the slider for the scale.

after working it over with the bandsaw and milling it square between cuts this is the bracket all drilled and ready to attach to the cross slide.
Also had to tram it level to the cross slide.

Then I had to square the piece that will attach to the cross slide bracket and will hold the slider.

After mounting the main bracket and attaching it to the slider bracket here is what it looks like.

I hope someone finds this useful with there conversion. All in all these DRO's have been a joy to use they are very precise.

Don

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 07:46:23 AM »
Don,

I hope you realise that your posting might be costing me money: Today I will either be buying a bridgeport or ordering a DRO for my Prazimat.  I really need to find a cheaper hobby. :facepalm:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 01:12:15 PM »
I have just taken delivery of a 3 axis DRO system to fit onto my Alexander milling machine.
I had a quote of over £500 from one of our well known UK suppliers, someone on another forum suggested contacting the DRO Store for a quote.

I eventually bought the full kit from them with the more expensive slimline scales and an LCD readout for under £400.
http://www.thedrostore.com/details-promo-3i.htm

It was posted last Monday and arrived on Friday, which you probably think sounds about right for the UK, but it had come all the way from Singapore via Fedex.
You will now be wondering how much the postage cost me, it was £0.00  :ThumbsUp:

Phil

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 01:22:15 PM »
I really need to find a cheaper hobby. :facepalm:

Na - you just need to find a higher paying job  :Jester:

Steve

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 02:14:03 PM »
There are other alternatives  :naughty:

I lost out on the Mill so the postman is going to bring me a nice new DRO for the lathe as a consolation prize. :whoohoo:

Jo

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 02:20:58 PM »
Jo, one of the reasons I post the mod was for your  benefit. Sorry if I caused you to spend money, but I don't believe you will regret it. I love there use and I ordered a 2" DTI for my tail stock.  I figured a way to install it.

Don

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 02:38:25 PM »
No worry Don,

I have a pair of cheap LCD scales and hooked them up again on Saturday whilst I was doing my barrel turning and decided that no the DRO on the Mills were just so much nicer, it is bonus season and I normally look to use it to buy something that I would not normally have brought. I now need to decide what to do with these two 8" LCD scales. One could go on the tail stock

I am a great believer that tools are best brought as early as possible in life so that you can get maximum benefit out of them. The Bridgeport mill I nearly brought went for a fortune: £1850  :hellno: So this is a bargain. :LittleDevil:

The trick now is to avoid fitting a second set to my Colchester master and put the remainder of the bonus towards this little engine: I just need someone to remind me of this little promise ;).

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2013, 04:28:19 PM »
Ah your purse will be bulging now that you missed out on teh mill :pinkelephant:

Where did you order the DRO from, Allendale or the cheaper guy in Singapore?

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2013, 04:47:08 PM »
A gentalman in Nottingham by the name of Colin  ;) He promises me it will be delivered on friday.

This is the one I brought: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-axis-digital-readout-lathe-applications-complete-DRO-kit-/321051085864?pt=UK_Measuring_Tools_Levels&hash=item4ac022cc28

Jo
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 05:16:24 PM by Jo »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2013, 06:31:58 PM »
Jo, I would check this again I see no mention of the scales. By the way that is the same unit I have. Did he get in touch with you about the scale dimensions before he shipped? The scales would make the unit cost about $500 state price.

Don

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2013, 07:07:54 PM »
Yep, I spoke to Colin personally to order the correct length scales and also confirmed the order by Email.

The advantage of buying from this Uk company is that the import duty is already paid which if I brought from Singapore directly it would have put the total price up to £310. :whoohoo:

Jo

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2013, 08:11:17 PM »
It never occurred to me Don, and I guess I never had any reason to pay that close attention to such things, but I never realized that you had a Myford. I am jealous as Hell. They are such beautiful machines. There are others on my list of *wants* but alas, all things must pass. DROs have also always been on that long-ish list, but those will become reality before I do grow  :old: . When the weather does finally decides to get warmer here, the first thing I have to do is get the Bridgeport I bought down into the shop. C'MON! Springtime!!

bc1
Jim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal