Author Topic: Adding DRO's to Myford super 7  (Read 24070 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Adding DRO's to Myford super 7
« on: November 25, 2012, 05:17:35 PM »
I had been wanting to add a set of DRO's to my Myford and wasn't sure which set to get. This set is Chinese made but of pretty good quality. They are glass scales. It comes with an assortment of brackets and screws to assist in mounting. I didn't have to much trouble mounting the cross slide scale besides making some L shape T Nuts to mount it to the T slots on the cross slide. I had to run the DTI along the top and side to align the scale. The scales come with a set of locking devices to help with the proper alignment. Once the scale is positioned and DTI in place, I removed them. I am missing a piece of alumimum to complete the saddle scale with. Hopefully this coming week I can find a piece suitable. The Photos below is my progress so far.
This first photos is making the L shpe T nuts.

Making the base plate to attach the scale to the cross slide with.

This is some photos of the scale mounted to the cross slide

a shoot of the digital display as it is mounted to the side of the lathe

The back side of the lathe I started to mount the brackets for the scale slide mounting. the alumimun stripe I will need the secure the scale to the base of the lathe with.

I will be out of town working tomorrow so I will complete it once I return.

Don

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Adding DRO's to Myford super 7
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 05:23:59 PM »

I will be out of town working tomorrow so I will complete it once I return.

:wallbang: You cruel man! I wanted to see the final assembly and to get your thoughts on how good having a DRO on a lathe was ;).

I suppose i will have to wait. (I am not good at waiting ;D)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Goldstar31

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 05:48:02 PM »
I've sort of been there before but I'm just as curious to see how clear the armoured cables are.
Again, I wonder how one copes with a taper turning attachment which bolts onto the holding stud holes on the Myford beds( ML7's and Super 7's)

My DRO's were fitted to the cheaper magnetic  black boxes. They helped  but I still have problems with 'four letter words'

I'm all eyes  :paranoia:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 06:42:37 PM »
Unfortunately I don't have a taper attachment. The scale will be mounted where the attachment would mount.
Sorry Jo, but work takes preference and week after next I go on vacation for a week. This coming week will be a full one also.

Don

chuck foster

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 06:59:11 PM »
jo i have a dro mounted on my old 9" south bend lathe and it works great.

now if i could work as good as the dro i might have a chance of making some stuff as good as you.  :cartwheel:

chuck

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 09:41:47 PM »
Nice Don!
Whos scale did you use

Same question for you Chuck! :cheers:

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »

chuck foster

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 11:05:12 PM »
dave, my scales are made by sinpo as well (just like don's) but my display is a bit different as is can be used for a milling machine.

by the way don i forgot to say NICE SET UP ON YOUR LATHE.  :ThumbsUp:

chuck

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 02:49:20 AM »
Thanks Chuck, I noticed Sinpo has a set for the mill also. I have some grizzly scales on my mill right now and they do help to count, but I don't rely on them for accuracy. Later I want a more ridged mill and will add better scales to it.

Don

Bogstandard

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 07:01:13 AM »
I was a little worried when I converted over to all DRO, thinking that it would take me away from the mechanical side of machining, which for me personally, I didn't want to do.

But a few years down the line, getting older, losing good eyesight, blah, blah, blah, I have found that in fact it has helped me greatly to achieve and retain the accuracy I always strove for.

They take away the little 'niggles', like having to back off and come forwards again to take up backlash in your system, as they show exact slideway movement, in both ways, forwards or back, in fact, I don't even need to look at the machine scales any more.

So to anyone who thinks it is getting away from the basic roots of mechanical engineering, don't worry, they are just a modern day 'upgrade' to help you in your shop.

The next step up from these DRO's are power feeds, which have been around for more years than I care to remember, and if you are anything like myself, have allowed me to carry on for a lot more years, because of my personal infirmity.

John

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 10:20:29 PM »
OK guys and gals,  :smokin2: I know its been a while since I post anything about this but work and vacation had me all wrapped up. So today I managed to complete the modification. I started with a piece if 3'' Aluimunum for a back plate to mount the scale to. I bolted it to the existing holes in the lathe which were orginally used for a taper attachment. Once I secured the scale to the backplate I ran a DTI acroos the top and side of the scale to line it up. The scale comes with an alignment bracket on the slider itself so that was pretty easy to set up once scale was aligned. I still have to set the calibration when I tested the Z axis it was off by .006 per 5 inch and the X .010 per 5 inch.  :noidea: The scale has a linearize function to correct for offset and that will be done.  :happyreader: So here are a few photos of the set up. The saddle scale was a little longer then it should have and I guess I gave the wrong measurements but I made it work without returning it.
Setting up the Aliumunum backplate.

With the scale mounted a all secured.

The protective cover installed

completed

Don

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 10:43:39 PM »
Well I'm thinking your life just got a little easier.  ;D
DROs are definitely in my future. Far-off maybe. But someday.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 07:13:50 AM »
Thanks Don,

I noticed that you have put your cross slide scale on the left hand side of the saddle. I have also seen them mounted on the rear of the cross slide. Has the loss of tailstock travel had any adverse effect (yet)?

Your cross slide scale is also some what smaller than the saddle one: Did they charge any extra for the small scale?
--------
I wait to hear your feedback as  I am still thinking about putting DROs on a couple of my Lathes....... more expense :facepalm2:

Jo
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 07:58:58 AM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Bogstandard

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 07:32:07 AM »
Lovely job Don, well thought out and executed.

You should be well pleased with the results.

Jo,

Glass scales (at this time) usually come in three sizes. The smaller the physical size of the scale, usually, the more expensive they are.
Not a lot, sometimes just a few pounds between each size.

Most people use the large for where it won't be seen (along the back of the lathe), and medium (if they will fit) anywhere else. You only tend to use the very small ones when things get really tight.

John

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 02:09:43 PM »
Thanks John, and yes Jo the cross slide scale is smaller and it comes with the set. When you order you have to give the the travel dimenisions and they send the scales to fit. I tested the tail stock travel before mounting the cross slide scale and you only loose a small amount of travel. I don't see it as any problem. If it does I will remount it. It does take up the spot where my carriage lock was. I now use the one I made for stopping. All in all I do like them.

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal