Author Topic: Sometimes I just feel dumb  (Read 4736 times)

Offline black85vette

• Rick in Yukon, OK
Sometimes I just feel dumb
« on: November 25, 2012, 04:34:12 AM »
You would think I had never looked at specs before.   Ordered some o-rings for my engine build and looked up the size on the chart.  Had "nominal size" and "actual size"  so I went with the "actual size" and ordered one size smaller and one size larger "just in case".  Plus got a couple spare in each size also "just in case".   Thought I had it covered.  It would have helped A LOT if I had read the top headings carefully.    I know the difference between ID and OD.   Did not factor in dyslexia.     Oh well.   It only takes about a week for another order to get here.   :Doh:

Offline RMO

• Rexburg, Idaho, USA
Re: Sometimes I just feel dumb
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 05:24:51 AM »
I think we all feel that way on occasion. I just mixed up am and pm and got to the airport 12 hours early. Worked out okay, but sometimes I wonder at myself. Now you can think up some new projects to use those spare orings. :thinking:

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 07:47:08 AM »
I don't think you've got the monopoly on those....I know I've had my fair share....

Laughing at your self helps.......at least it does when I do it..... ;D

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Bezalel

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 08:07:21 AM »
I don't think you've got the monopoly on those....I know I've had my fair share....

Laughing at your self helps.......at least it does when I do it..... ;D

Dave

I'm afraid I'll have to find another form of treatment Dave,

I haven't written any humorous 'self helps' lately  :lolb: :lolb: 

:cheers:
Queensland - wet one day, humid the next

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 08:25:23 AM »
Don't worry Bez...it usually starts with said object achieving supersonic flight within small confines......I occassionally have to duck!.....the laughing comes later...

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Bezalel

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 09:37:01 AM »
Aaahhh.... Yes, I think many of us are familiar with that technique  >:D :LittleDevil: >:D
Queensland - wet one day, humid the next

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 02:50:45 PM »
Better have the doctor adjust your meds Steve, but watch out for those dreaded side effects. You know the ones, making small mechanical devices such as engines and ordering bits and bobs out of catalogs, clipping out coupons etc. The list is HUGE.  :lolb:

BC1
Jim

Offline ausdier

• Burpengary, Australia.
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 11:21:57 PM »
Don't feel to bad.
Doctors surveys have proven that at least 10 out of 6 people have some sort of dyslexia.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 01:17:44 PM »
Rick, I recently did something similar.  Ordered a piece of of 2.75" dia stainless to remake the hot cap for the Rider Ericsson only to realize after shucking our $40.00 that 2.75" was the bolt circle diameter of the mounting flange...the real OD should have been 3". I ended up saving it by silver soldering a separate flange piece to it, but had intended to make a one piece unit, not two. At least the o-rings are cheaper :)

Bill

Offline black85vette

• Rick in Yukon, OK
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 01:30:11 PM »
Rick, I recently did something similar.  Ordered a piece of of 2.75" dia stainless to remake the hot cap for the Rider Ericsson only to realize after shucking our $40.00 that 2.75" was the bolt circle diameter of the mounting flange...the real OD should have been 3". I ended up saving it by silver soldering a separate flange piece to it, but had intended to make a one piece unit, not two. At least the o-rings are cheaper :)

Bill

Yes indeed.  No expensive goofs so far.   Just time and cheap ones.   Good that you were able to recover from yours!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 04:28:50 AM »
Shaved half my face before I realized I hadn't put any shaving gel on.
Ate half a hamburger before I realized I hadn't put the patty in yet. As an onion burger it was great though.
Walked half of Home Depot before I realized I hadn't zipped up.

I've lost count of the number of times I've said "this isn't going to work" but tried anyway. Sometimes I'm wrong.

Making boo-boos has always been there. We just start paying more attention to them as we get older. Looking for signs.

Speaking of which I have two fear lists...bad and stupid.
The bad list starts with fire/burns followed by knifing and so on.
The stupid list starts with open fly followed by a visible booger. Somewhere on the list is forgetting to check for toilet paper.

I lie. There's 3 lists. The bad list isn't the worst of course. The worst list of fears involves family.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 03:20:02 AM »
I think we all feel that way on occasion. I just mixed up am and pm and got to the airport 12 hours early. Worked out okay, but sometimes I wonder at myself. Now you can think up some new projects to use those spare orings. :thinking:
THAT is exactly why I use 24 hour time. :-)  I can never remember which is which.
   ...lew...

Offline black85vette

• Rick in Yukon, OK
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 02:24:10 PM »
I think we all feel that way on occasion. I just mixed up am and pm and got to the airport 12 hours early. Worked out okay, but sometimes I wonder at myself.

Back in the days before TSA and all the security issues I had my secretary book a flight for me.   I made note of it in my planner.  (you can tell this was a LONG time ago) She handed me the tickets in an envelope (yes, they used to print them and send them to you)  and I put them in my brief case.   Got up, went to the airport, got on the plane and then a guy says "you are in my seat".   Flight attendant checks both of our tickets and says to me "Mr Martin your flight is not until tomorrow"   :facepalm:   Still don't know if I told her wrong, wrote it down wrong or she messed it up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal