Author Topic: drill bit refurb and rust remover  (Read 2812 times)

Offline krv3000

drill bit refurb and rust remover
« on: November 23, 2012, 09:13:55 PM »
hi all well most of my tooling is from boot sales and most of them may seem to be scrap but with a bit of TLC all can be good once more this is my tip for sorting out rusty and broken Morse taper drills  as you will see in the pics that it ant hard to do but you need to be very cerful the first thing you need is battery acid from a old car battery or you can by sum brick and concrete cleaner get the drill and degrees it i do this by just getting them hot not red hot just hot let them cool then put them in a container then cover them with the acid time needed to soke depends on haw bad their rusted once the rust has bin dissolved give the drills a good scrub with a nale brush and plenty of fresh water then dry them off then i give them a coting of rust preventer all dun the next bit is to remove a broken drill from the taper yep this can be dun as most of the smaller drills are silver soldered in to the Morse taper all you need to do is heat the taper up till the solder melts and remove the drill clean the bottom have of a new drill and solderer it back in to the taper right pics

Arbalest

Re: drill bit refurb and rust remover
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 09:26:03 PM »
I've used the washing soda and battery charger method a couple of times, works great!  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal