Author Topic: Cutting BA and imperial threads on a Cowells  (Read 45561 times)

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester UK (where the lathes were made)
    • Bill's website
Re: Cutting BA and imperial threads on a Cowells
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 02:08:11 PM »
This may be an eye opener to some of you:

Note the bit about number of threads V. strength

http://www.gizmology.net/nutsbolts.htm

Offline Raggle

• Newtown, Montgomery, Powys mid-Wales
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 02:08:27 PM »
Depending on the degree of accuracy required a 38T wheel (or any multiple of 19) is useful.

This from Davis Urwick's own description of his Metalmaster/Impetus multi-purpose machine tool.

The above shows an imperial leadscrew using the 38T as a driven gear. Unsurprisingly, a metric machine using one as a driver offers the same degree of accuracy to produce an imperial thread.

My own Exe (shown far too many times on the posting pics thread) has a permanent 18T gear on the spindle and 12 TPI leadscrew so the Urwick formula is 3/2*desired thread. A 38T wheel on the leadscrew with suitable idlers produces a 1mm pitch thread to the same small error.

I'm on the lookout for a suitable gear 38T- 18DP- 14.5 pa along with 39T and perhaps 60T. Acetal would do as I don't want to endanger those lovely bronze ones I have. I haven't contacted HPC yet, but their lists are for 20 deg p.a.

Maybe I've rambled a little here but I wanted to show that I have matured into posting pictures :) Thanks Jo.

Ray
All we're trying to do is combine a fuel and an oxidant in the combustion chamber and burn it in the hope of getting some useful thrust out of the back end. It's not rocket science.

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 03:03:10 PM »
Jo,
I have been working on upgrading my Cowells to cut more threads. I stumbled with the 3/4-16 thread for the Sherline spindle adapter. I am thinking a 37 and 47 gear is needed for the set but I have not made a final choice. I do not have any 32 DP cutters so the additional combination can be made with a single cutter is a key point for me.

The change stud that comes with the lathe will not work as both gears idle on the stud. I made new 5mm studs and nuts for a change stud and the power feed gears. I changed it a bit from a simple bolt so I only need a single wrench to tighten the gear stud. This also fixed the fouling problem with the bolts that secure the bearing plate for the lead screw.

I made a bushing with a key to have a stud with a driven gear instead of a simple idle gear like the original. The part shown is long enough for two studs. I left extra length for a file guide on both ends. The section where the key looks different was a senior moment when I changed lathes.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 05:31:58 PM »
Thanks Dan,

I could easily add a 37 and 47 tooth gear whilst I am setup. Luckily I have a full set of 32DP cutters which is what I think the Cowell's gears are.

Do we need driven studs if it is a single chain :thinking:

Jo
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 06:00:08 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 05:48:38 PM »
Jo

Are you intending screw cutting right down to 16BA ?

It is all about having the maximum number of possibilities, from the smallest number of change wheels. I don't rule out the possibilities of cutting my own taps and dies : I have seen the price of these small ones :hellno: And I will be needing to cut internal 32 and 40 TPI threads on some jobs.

I would very much like a coventry die head, at the right price with a full set of all the cutters for all the threads I have listed, in the meantime I have a lathe ;).

Bill: The reason I used TPI was that the online calculation tool Bob pointed me at worked in TPI, The threads I calculated have less than 0.5% error in the pitch for the cost of cutting the two gears. Whilst I was set up to cut the 63 tooth gear for the imperial threads cutting the 31 tooth is nothing and yet the additional accuracy :cartwheel:.

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 06:26:15 PM »
New gear blank sizes (I know you will need them Chris ;) )

31 tooth = 26.2mm
63 tooth = 51.6mm

37 tooth = 30.96mm
47 tooth = 34.13mm

All blanks 6.35mm thick, 9.5mm bore, 2.35mm wide key. The originals were steel.

Edit: depth of cut for teeth = 1.71mm

Jo
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 07:56:40 PM by Jo »

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 06:32:13 PM »
Jo,
Here is a drawing of the new parts for my gear set up.

It is all in inches. I decided not to use the bushings for the power feed for the compound gear bushing , because it would have been a bit thin.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 06:48:43 PM »
Thanks Dan,

Jo

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 07:00:35 PM »
Do we need driven studs if it is a single chain :thinking:

Jo,
With a simple train there is not much room with out making a new gear quadrant. I think only a single keyed bushing is needed but I made two just in case while I was set up. The original simple stud can be used for the idle gear for the left/right hand switch.

The other reason I favor the 37 and 47 tooth conversion is the gear quadrant is short and my new gear studs made it a bit shorter so my thinking is having the metric transposition gears nearly the same size gives the best chance of a workable solution in the available space.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 07:04:41 PM »

With a simple train there is not much room without making a new gear quadrant.

Dan

I had been wondering about that but until I drew it out, I wasn't sure. Ideally the biggest gear needs to be on the lathe spindle to minimize the length needed on the quadrant.

Jo

Offline craynerd

• www.raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2012, 07:14:43 PM »
Hi Jo, my first post on here.

Only had my Cowells two days but I`m in love with it. I just wish to understand the screwcutting gearing a bit more, since I`ve still not fully got my head around it. I currently only have the standard train: 20t on headstock spindle-driving double gear 16/32, Intermediate double gear- 20/56, 64t gear on leadscrew extension.  I`ve never really done any screwcutting, read a lot about it and done a bit on my boxford. I`ve read and understood how to put it in backgear and now I just need to figure what gears are actually changed. I know this table was posted on the yahoo group which was helpful (just tried to post it here but it won`t keep the format so will copy to excel later and attach). I just need to figure which is driver 1 and driver 2 and then make myself a set of wheels.

Jo, what material are you intending using? Steel? 

I have had confirmation that the wheels are 32DP

Chris

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2012, 07:38:09 PM »
Dan: I think you have it a 37 and 47 it is here are the gear chains:

0BA     Driven gears  16  50  Driver gears  20  40   Pitch 1    error %  0
1BA   Driven gears  35  47  Driver gears  40  37   Pitch 0.899    error %  0.033
2BA     Driven gears  64  25  Driver gears  35  37   Pitch 0.809    error %  0.077
3BA     Driven gears  47  35  Driver gears  30  40   Pitch 0.729    error %  0.070
4BA     Driven gears  35  32  Driver gears  20  37   Pitch 0.660    error %  0.108   
5BA     Driven gears  47  40  Driver gears  30  37   Pitch 0.590    error %  0.072
6BA     Driven gear  47   Driver gear  25   Pitch 0.531    error %  0.360  (Simple)
7BA     Driven gears  30  64  Driver gears  25  37   Pitch 0.481    error %  0.367
8BA     Driven gears  50  35  Driver gears  16  47   Pitch 0.429    error %  0.066
9BA     Driven gears  40  64  Driver gears  20  50   Pitch 0.390    error %  0.159
10BA   Driven gears  50  32  Driver gears  35  16   Pitch 0.35    error %  0
11BA   Driven gears  35  37  Driver gears  25  16   Pitch 0.308    error %  0.362
12BA   Driven gears  50  40  Driver gears  35  16   Pitch 0.28    error %  0
14BA   Driven gears  47  37  Driver gears  25  16   Pitch 0.230    error %  0.007
16BA    Driven gears  64  40  Driver gears  30  16   Pitch 0.187    error %  1.333

26TPI   Driven gears  40  30  Driver gears  25  47   Pitch 0.979    error %  0.221
32TPI   Driven gears  64  37  Driver gears  40  47   Pitch 0.793    error %  0.010
40TPI   Driven gears  32  37  Driver gears  16  47   Pitch 0.635    error %  0.021
60TPI   Driven gears  50  35  Driver gears  20  37   Pitch 0.422    error %  0.033

:cartwheel:

Jo

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2012, 07:43:32 PM »
Chris,
The gears you have are the auto-traverse kit. They can be used as one of the idle gears for the table in the book. I just joined the yahoo group but it is simpler to post images with a thread on this type of forum.

The screw cutting kit has the additional gears in the table and mine came with a BA bolt that is close to M5. That always bugged me a bit, but the new gear studs fixed that.

Here is a drawing of the bushing included with the screw cutting kit for the simple gear train in the book.

Jo, yes I have been playing with the calculator that Bob mentioned and it looks good for me but I did not check any BA threads as I rarely use them.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2012, 07:45:01 PM »
Hi Jo, my first post on here.

Only had my Cowells two days but I`m in love with it ;).......  I just need to figure which is driver 1 and driver 2 and then make myself a set of wheels.

Jo, what material are you intending using? Steel? 

I have had confirmation that the wheels are 32DP

Chris

:hi: Chris

Driver 1 is on the lathe spindle, driver 2 for  the threads on the original chart is the one on the leadscrew. Dan and I are now looking at playing with the idlers that you use between these two gears to " make up the gap between the spindle and the leadscrew" which normally are set up to not change the ratio.

For the gears: Myford use CI, Cowell's use Steel. The CI will be easier on the gear cutters but it all depends what comes to hand at the time 8).

I did check the size against my gear cutters, yes 32DP and Dan also confirmed the 32DP size.

Jo

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2012, 08:25:52 PM »
Brass would be OK for the gears as well - they are not under a lot of strain.
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal