Author Topic: Mighty Byte vise jaws - first trial  (Read 1214 times)

Offline kvom

Mighty Byte vise jaws - first trial
« on: December 05, 2020, 07:09:29 PM »
I bought these on a whim when Travers was holding a sale.  The round hardened jawlets on top of the vise jaws bite into the workpiece, and since they can rotate to fit the jaws can hold round or odd shapes.  Using these means that the divots in the mater can either be machined away or tolerated in the finished part.

The jaws have two set of mounting holes and can be mounted on 4" as well as 6" vises.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Mighty Byte vise jaws - first trial
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 07:13:21 PM »
Interesting - do the little grippers just move with the jaws, so the vise jaw movement is what provides the force, or are the screws in each gripper what tighten them?

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 07:22:24 PM »
I have been eyeing those jaws for quite sometime, just never had the job come along that made me buy them. I'm sure that if they were in the drawer they would get used.

Dave

Offline kvom

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 09:46:41 PM »
Interesting - do the little grippers just move with the jaws, so the vise jaw movement is what provides the force, or are the screws in each gripper what tighten them?

Way until the tips of grippers touch the work, then tighten the screws before clamping the vise.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 07:22:18 AM »
looking at your photo the two corners of the work are within the ctr lines of the fixing screws, is there not a risk of the inserts rotating as the clamping load is to one side, the right hand one in particular as that would tend to make the insert want to unscrew. I would have thought moving the inserts to 2 adjacent holes would be a better setup?

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 11:27:00 AM »
I was thinking the same about the grippers rotating, maybe he used just one in the middle at some point looking at the witness marks on the end.

Is that a photo of a really small vice, or is it a huge Tee nut ?

Phil

Offline kvom

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 01:39:14 PM »
 I used the same positions as for the other side (flipped it over).  Probably better just to center on a single gripper here.

The part is in fact the t-nut for a QCTP on a large CNC lathe. The owner of the lathe, a friend of mine, crashed the toolpost into the chuck, and needed a new part made.  He found a supplier of rough-sized material with the tapped hole, so it was a matter of milling to fit the crosshead.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 01:51:22 PM »
Certainly look useful for round stock where you would usually have to waste a lot of material to give enough length to grip in a table mounted chuck or collet.

Parallel sided stuff is not so back on packers in the vice but the tallon and these versa grips should hold better on the last thin bit of material so you can take a heavier cut without pulling the work out the vice.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal