Author Topic: Hello From Bristol, UK  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Mark S

Hello From Bristol, UK
« on: November 14, 2020, 05:22:50 PM »
Hi, I did metalwork and technical drawing O-Levels at school and got an A-grade in both. I went on to become a design engineer at BAe, Filton; now Airbus. I've always loved the idea of having a metal working shop but never plucked up the courage to set up one until I was aged 56 and bought Kozo's book on building the Pennsylvania A3 Switcher. I thought the loco looked really smart and I was hooked by the sub-title 'the first project for the beginner'.
I found this forum because of the excellent posts from Kim as he is building the same loco and is ahead of me. I'd like to at least post a few pictures of my progress but I really don't know how to operate this forum. Also, I am desperate to move the project forward which leaves me little time for posting. There is a chance I will be allowed to retire early this Christmas which will help a lot. Thank you to all of you for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience in this wonderful hobby. :cartwheel:
Mark Southall

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Hello From Bristol, UK
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 08:05:14 PM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

When you write a post just below the box you type in is 'Attachments and other options' If you click on this you can select pictures from your computer and upload them (note the size is limited you may need to edit them first).
Best regards

Roger

Offline Trevorc

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 08:23:25 PM »
Hello Mark
Welcome to the forum from another Bristolian who also did engineering drawing and metal work at O level and worked at Airbus ( and previous owners) at Filton for 40 years .
I went to Bristol Technical School. I live near Thornbury. Are you aware of the Bristol Model Engineers?
Trevorc 

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 03:30:53 AM »
Hi Mark, welcome aboard  and this is a wonderfull site with lots of help available...

Willy

Offline AVTUR

• West of England
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 08:56:02 AM »
Good morning Mark and welcome.

I am almost a Bristolian and live in Chipping Sodbury. I spent the last 30 years of my working life on Gypsy Patch.

I look forward to see any pictures.

All the best

AVTUR
There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Offline nj111

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 10:28:17 AM »
Welcome!  It seems there are quite a few on here that are local to you Mark.  A long time ago I was at Rolls Royce (Filton - Bristol) for engineering training. Across the river now in Forest of Dean. Enjoy your project.
Nick

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 05:08:24 PM »
Hi Mark,
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, I'd love to see pictures from your A-3 build (or whatever you choose to make)!  I've really been enjoying following along in Kozo's book.  He provides very detailed instructions which I usually follow (not always :), and sometimes to my detriment!) and breaks the most difficult looking things down into simple steps that even I can perform.

Hope you enjoy building the Pennsy as much as I am!
Kim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 05:58:53 PM »
Hi Mark
Welcome to MEM!

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal