Author Topic: Beginners Toolbox  (Read 6556 times)

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
Beginners Toolbox
« on: November 17, 2012, 09:58:31 PM »
As many of you know I have been involved with on line machining forums  for a few years. We all know the same questions often re-appear. I started a similar thread on another board but decide to let hte folks here have a go at this.

So here is the concept . we are going to set up machinist tools box suitable for the home shop machinist / Amateur Engineer /Model engine builder. 

so here are the rules : place a tool into this virtual tool box.
(1) Limit one tool per thread . Three tools per person.
(2) This must be a tool you have in your shop and use, like and would recomend to a friend.
(3) Post a photo of the tool. your photo or link to manufacturers or sellers web site. give credit for the photo if not yours.
(4)list price and availabity as much as possible.
(5) explain the tool ,its uses and what you like and limitations. Tell us why you think this is a must have tool for the tool box.
(6) the focus here is filling the virtual tool box but you may post something that does not fit in the box.
(7) I hope this to be a fun and educational experience for all.

I will start with a tool box that is readily availble in the USA and I believe to be a good bang for the buck especially if you have a coupon .

Name   Eight Drawer Wood Tool Chest
SKU   94538
Brand   Windsor Design
Drawers   8
Material   Wood
Shipping Volume   2.992
Overall dimensions: 20" L x 10-1/2" W x 16" H
Shipping Weight: 20.65 lbs.
Import from China

Manufacturer Warranty Detail   100% Satisfaction Guarantee! If for ANY reason you are not satisfied with this item, you may return it within 90 days for a full refund or replacement.

regular price $99.99
my price after coupon$ 59.99 40% discount.
This is advertised as hardwood with a walnut stain.
The box appears to be solid wood if there is any laminate it is well hidden. drawer bottoms masonite type material with IMHO a few too many staples holding then in. As far as walnut finish I am not seeing it looks more maple color to me.
The hardware is advertised as chrome plated. It is there and looks good . The knobs on the display model appeared to be turned aluminum and had a home /shop made appearance. The single handle on the box is on the top a modem version of the handle on top of my vintage union box. There is no lid support in the till. Something that can be added like I did on my Travers import box. The item description mentions single key locking. this is a normal feature for such a box, but not true. this box has two locks each with a pair off keys, one for the till and a second lock for the drawer covers. There is an ugly do not remove this label label inside the drawer cover with the box serial number on it. The box is felt lined the Mrs says the felt is thin, not something I noticed.
I mentioned drawer bottoms.In comparison my vintage union has tin plate steel for drawer bottoms. My Travers import box has thin ply wood that is captured by the drawer frame. My son's Grizzly box has masonite held with one staple . Remove the staple slide out the drawer bottom and replace with something better.The drawer bottoms on this one will slide out after removing the one staple per inch of drawer. arg.

If you want Gershner Quality and can afford it buy a Gershner. if you want a value priced import to hold your hobby tools this is IMHO a good value. Add a lid support ,replace the drawer bottoms with aluminum or tinplate steel and you will have a pretty nice box.

Harbor Freight stock Photo

Thanks for reading. normal disclaimer no affiliations Yada Yada. caravat Emptor I inspected the condition of my box before leaving the store parking lot . I recommend the same for any similar purchase.
Tin

Offline black85vette

• Rick in Yukon, OK
Re: Beginners Toolbox
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 02:15:46 AM »
I will take an easy one!  Likely the most used tool in my entire box is my digital calipers.  Also have an analog dial caliper set but end up using my digital ones because they will convert metric and inches.   Easy using digital to add or subtract an offset to a measurement.  You can even do addition and subtraction with it.  Don't think I do anything in the shop that they are not needed.

They can measure 4 ways; depth of a hole, an edge to another edge, inside measurement and outside measurement.

Don't have a favorite brand so here is just one:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200343096_200343096?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Measuring%20Tools-_-Calipers-_-433301&ci_sku=433301&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}&gclid=CLjb7cC217MCFbKiPAod5jsAmw
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 03:14:08 AM by black85vette »

Offline black85vette

• Rick in Yukon, OK
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 02:20:49 AM »
One more; My 6" Starrett combination square has been with me for over 30 years.  Marked in 64ths and 100ths (you can get them with metric also)   Has a level and scribe built in.   Handy 45 degree angle.   It measures, marks, and squares up my work almost every day.   I think paying the price for a good quality highly accurate tool will pay you back in how long it will work reliably.

http://www.sears.com/starrett-c33h-6-16r-6-inch-combination-square/p-SPM6208124305?prdNo=7

Offline PJW

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 07:43:17 AM »
I Have a Zeus Book, it is a Precision Engineers Metric Data Book, containing Charts Reference Tables Drill Tap Sizes, it is small with wipe clean pages & a must in my toolbox, I dont know if you have these in the States, but we have been using them for years in the UK. I looked on a big internet auction site and they are under ?6.
Old Guys Rule the Dark Side of the Shed!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 12:52:30 PM »
For me a good edge finder should be in every machinist's toolbox. Personally I prefer the Starrett 827A but other versions are available for metric, etc. I have 3-4 of these and use them all the time and although there are less expensive imports I find the Starrett to be of much higher quality and durability

Vendor: MSC, Travers, most any of the usual tooling suppliers, Amazon
Starrett Part# 827a
Cost: $20-23

Bill

Photo from Amazon.com

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 01:11:23 PM »
Staying in the area of set-up tools, a good dial test indicator will be most helpful in squaring vises, centering rotary tables, locating hole centers, and other similar tasks.  There are many of these on the market ranging from Starrett to less expensive imports. I have found the Fowler brand to be a reasonable compromise between cost and quality. Look for one with a 1" diameter face and a range of 0-.015-0"  (.030" total travel). The link below is but one example.

http://www.amazon.com/FOWLER-Dial-Test-Indicator-Set/dp/B005PX7N48/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1353243680&sr=8-5&keywords=fowler+dial+test+indicator

Bill

Offline dalee

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 06:13:42 PM »
Hi,

I will add a good flexible 6" ruler, 4r graduations, (64's, 32's, 16's, and 8's), is fine . People laugh at the thought, but they are quick and convenient for a lot of measuring. And if you can still see decently, bifocals can suck  ;D, you should be able to "see" less than .010" quite easily. A ruler won't replace a micrometer for accuracy. But it will probably get used more.

Choice of brand often depends on what you can read best. I like Mitutoyo brand best, but I find General also to be very good for a bit cheaper money.

dalee

Edit to add link to rulers. http://www.travers.com/subcat.asp?r=c&n=Measuring%2C+Inspection%2C+Quality+Control+%26+Test+Measurement||Rules

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 06:43:11 PM »
A set of good quality drills:

These are dormer and they are not cheap but you will never regret it. An alternative is to buy a cheap set and as you damage the drills you regularly use then put you hand in you pocket and buy quality replacements. The dormer replacements will last much longer and cut a better more accurate hole than the cheapies.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 02:01:37 AM »
G.I.G.O. (Garbage In, Garbage Out)

Buying junk tools in my opinion just leads to frustration.  Buying quality tools from the start and building a set slowly is better then buying a bunch of cheap import tools.  Some of the import stuff that can be "tuned up" as a "kit" makes sense, but things like consumable tooling (endmills, drills, etc.)  isn't worth it.  Also, cheap mechanic's tools are definitely a no, no.

There is a difference between the high end tools and cheap tools.  Buy the best you can afford.  Used good stuff is better then junk new.

Just my 2c.

-Bob

*I do follow my own advice.  This is part of the reason I haven't completed my latest engine.  I have to get enough money together for some quality tooling that I don't have.
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 02:13:51 AM »
I think for beginners that want to use HSS tooling I wouldn't go past the diamond tool for lathe work.
http://www.eccentricengineering.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=17
Yes I know you can make them and they have been around since Jesus played full back for Jerusalem but a learner/beginner may not be able to make them and the grinding is easy and builds confidence in grinding tool.
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Bogstandard

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 04:20:55 AM »
Don't forget the mainstay of precision measuring, the micrometer, in whatever measuring system you use. Digital calipers are OK for rough measuring, but not for precision work.

I have a myriad of micrometers in my possession, ranging from high end Mitutoyo and Moore & Wright to the imported Chinese ones, and have found that the imported ones work very well, and you could buy a set of far eastern micrometers for the price of one high end one.

My recommendation would be to buy a low end set, and when you are used to using them, save up for the high end ones, but you might find you have no need to.

http://www.amadeal.co.uk/acatalog/Outside_Micrometer_Sets.html

Or the mechanical digital ones, which are very good

http://www.amadeal.co.uk/acatalog/Digital_Outside_Micrometers.html

John

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2019, 09:12:06 PM »
I do realize this is an old thread, but decided to post an update. Memorial day decided on a trip to harbor freight. I had a 25% off  good for one day coupon and used it on one of these boxes, more or less. It seems they changed the sku no to 062585. it also appears the quality had gone down a bit as the thing is now made with paint grade joined wood.
the amazing thing is the price i paid did not change in almost 7 years.i did not notice any other changes.  I did bring it home and applied two coats of shellac to it as i have with the other HF tool boxes i own. And this was something i noticed at the store so i live with it.
the other option would be to paint it. However i am not a fan of painting cabinetry.
This is not a rant rather a warning. IMHO these are still nice boxes to store hobby machinist tools, art tools, fly tying supplies leather tools etc they just do not look as nice as the older ones.
So buyer beware Chinese imports are hit and miss and HF has the rep for tool like objects.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal