Author Topic: 1/3 Scale Austin Seven  (Read 7022 times)

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
Re: 1/3 Scale Austin Seven
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2023, 01:03:37 PM »
Just as an aside, I ran my full size Austin 7 Special on its original 6 Volt dynamo along with the Winter/Summer charge selector switch for over 21 years.
It never gave a moments bother other than having to clean the points in the cutout once every few years.

The lights were always crap, but at least they were consistently crap.

I know a lot of people have converted to 12 Volts, this has the advantage of reducing the current very significantly.

Phil

Offline Austin Seven

« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2023, 05:00:51 PM »
That's good to hear. I hope that this dynamo (3 phase alternator) gives similar service.
I have it powering two 6v led torch (flashlight ) bulbs at the moment, which you can see in the video.
I've made a Lucas fuse box and cutout. I wasn't sure which one would have been on a 1933 RP. I went for a CF3 in the end. I'm not using it as I don't want it to get damaged.  I'm using the same voltage regulator, capacitor, fuse etc. in a plastic box.
I'll post some pictures next week.

P.S. If the CF3 is wrong, don't tell me!

Rob

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2023, 05:52:36 PM »
I know a lot of people have converted to 12 Volts, this has the advantage of reducing the current very significantly.
That's why automakers went from a 6V system to a 12V system - it cuts the amps in half.  They could use smaller wires in their cars, which meant less of that expensive copper to buy.  A penny saved here and there adds up when you make a LOT of cars.

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2023, 08:44:07 PM »
Years ago, before their values went crazy, my brother had a 356SC Porsche with a 6V system. With the high-ish compression, starting it always sounded painful, as if the battery was almost dead. But it always did start.
Regards,
Ron

Offline Laurentic

• Nr Yeovil, Somerset, England
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2023, 05:26:10 PM »

The lights were always crap, but at least they were consistently crap.

The lights were crap in those days but at the speed cars went then they were probably OK. 

Nowadays, lights are so bright, yes, you can see if they lights are yours, but everyone else is blinded! 

Don't like driving in the dark on busy (meaning most) roads these days!

Chris :old:

PS Absolutely delightful model you have made there - would love to see your build log, along with everyone else!!!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2023, 09:03:57 AM »
An excellent runner  :praise2:  :praise2:

Is the SU carb fully functional? How did you calibrate it? I built a quite successful SU type card for my twin.
Best regards

Roger

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2023, 09:15:34 PM »
Sweet!    Nicely done!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Austin Seven

« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2023, 09:05:28 PM »
Hi.
The SU carb is an exact scale copy of an SU available at the time of this engine. I tried may times to create the origian Zenith and gave up.
They say that as long as the size is about right, then any SU carb will work. What they don't say is how to make it run well. The needle is 0.8mm and tapering down.

I've posted pictures of the Lucas fuse box and cut out (fuse box and voltage regulator).

Rob

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2023, 07:30:16 AM »
Thank you  :ThumbsUp: I also ended up with a 0.8mm needle. I planned on 0.5mm with a 6mm piston but that was just too small  ::)

Splendid fuse box and cut out  :praise2:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Austin Seven

« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2023, 06:03:43 PM »
Hi Roger,

The thing I can't get to work on the SU is the float valve cut off. If you rev the engine, fuel pours out of the top of the float bowl, it has a mechanical fuel pump.

Rob

Offline chris01

« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2023, 11:17:34 PM »
Is the fuel pressure to large it will make leak . No my triumph tr7 car has same problem on new fuel pump , spring to strong in lift pump. I had to fit pressure regulator to reduce to about 1-2 psi
Chris 

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2023, 07:05:59 PM »
As an electrical guy, I absolutely love that regulator/fuse box.  How did you make those covers?  Are they actually stampings like they appear to be?

Don

Offline Austin Seven

« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2023, 07:29:03 PM »
Hi Chris,
Good point. The fuel pump takes some priming, but once it starts, it's manic!

Hi Don,
I spent a long time machining the covers from solid blocks of brass. I then chemically blackened them.

Rob

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal